2021-2022 California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I third this question!
I third this question!
I need to take out loans, lots and lots of loans. Federal loans are forgivable. Private ones, not so much. CHSU-COM doesn’t yet qualify for federal loans and their financial aid department said they aren’t sure when the school will. Deal breaker for me.

I have a few other offers on the table. Honest truth is that I’m not yet sure which school I’ll attend.

Reactions: 3 users
I withdrew for similar reasons regarding loans, and will be attending another school
closer to home (unless I get off other waitlists I’m currently on).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the A call this afternoon! Interviewed 2/28. In complete shock.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone whether a sending a LOI post-II would help? I was WL, and I really wanna go here.

I do not have any updates tbh, I had already listed my new job that I began in Aug 2021 on the app.

Does anyone whether a sending a LOI post-II would help? I was WL, and I really wanna go here.

I do not have any updates tbh, I had already listed my new job that I began in Aug 2021 on the app.
Letter of interest or letter of intent? They are a little different and convey different messages. if this school is your #1 choice, I don’t see any harm in sending a letter of intent if they accept it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Got an Interview Invite this morning thats scheduled about a month out. I am surprised this late in the game!

I need to take out loans, lots and lots of loans. Federal loans are forgivable. Private ones, not so much. CHSU-COM doesn’t yet qualify for federal loans and their financial aid department said they aren’t sure when the school will. Deal breaker for me.

I have a few other offers on the table. Honest truth is that I’m not yet sure which school I’ll attend.
If you have an offer from westernU, please decide sooner if possible! :p We are waiting

• Dislike
  • Haha
During the interview do they ask other questions about your application? Or just the four from the faqs? I saw that it says on faqs that the interviewer has access to your supplemental application and their questions will build from there so I wanted to know if they ask questions from your application as well?

And what does it mean when it’s said to be a closed interview?

Sorry if these questions were answered before I just want to prepare accordingly

During the interview do they ask other questions about your application? Or just the four from the faqs? I saw that it says on faqs that the interviewer has access to your supplemental application and their questions will build from there so I wanted to know if they ask questions from your application as well?

Sorry if these questions were answered before I just want to prepare accordingly
Closed = the interviewer has only seen either your personal statement or absolutely nothing.

Without saying too much, scroll through the thread and you should find the answer you're looking for.

Just the 4 Qs and they will ask if you want to add anything to the responses before you move on to asking them Qs yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Closed = the interviewer has only seen either your personal statement or absolutely nothing.

Without saying too much, scroll through the thread and you should find the answer you're looking for.
Just the 4 Qs and they will ask if you want to add anything to the responses before you move on to asking them Qs yourself.
Thank you both so much! I appreciate your guidance a lot!

• Love
90K per year with private loans only seems like so much. Im currently waitlisted at CUSM and tuition there is 60k but they also offer fed loans. Am I overthinking this? I have my interview tomorrow with CHSU-COM but even if I got an A im not sure if I'd be able to afford it

Tuition at CHSU is about 55k per year, the 90k you’re referring to is cost of attendance which includes housing, personal expenses, etc. COA at CUSM is probably comparable. So the only major difference is federal vs private loans.
I just rechecked after reading this comment. Thank you for clarifying, I almost gave myself a panic attack lol. It really wouldn't matter then, would it? I don't know too much about private loan interest rates but overall COA would be around the same for either school? Thank you again for clarifying. CUSM fin aid website says "total" but doesn't include all the other expenses that CHSU includes on their site, it really got my heart racing lol.

I just rechecked after reading this comment. Thank you for clarifying, I almost gave myself a panic attack lol. It really wouldn't matter then, would it? I don't know too much about private loan interest rates but overall COA would be around the same for either school? Thank you again for clarifying. CUSM fin aid website says "total" but doesn't include all the other expenses that CHSU includes on their site, it really got my heart racing lol.
Private loans generally require a co-signer with good credit. And we’re not talking about 5k here. Four years at 90k is 360k in private loans. You’ll be fine if your parents are doing alright. If it’s just you and you’re 22 years old, then you may not luck out.

Private loans generally require a co-signer with good credit. And we’re not talking about 5k here. Four years at 90k is 360k in private loans. You’ll be fine if your parents are doing alright. If it’s just you and you’re 22 years old, then you may not luck out.
For private loans, if your parents already have lots of loans like the car and home, does that hinder from getting hefty amounts of loan for school? JW if you know lol

Current OMS-1 here, glad to answer any questions y'all have :)
Any Information you know about the visiting students who matched or any data on that? I have an out of state MD acceptance and this DO acceptance here in Cali but I don't like the unknown about the match.

any one know of a 498-499 MCAT has been accepted here? I really loved my interview and would love to go here, but I feel like that metric of mine is going to hurt my chances:(

any one know of a 498-499 MCAT has been accepted here? I really loved my interview and would love to go here, but I feel like that metric of mine is going to hurt my chances:(
I have 1 score in the low 500’s but had 3 previous scores of 499 and below. I was accepted a few months ago. Best of luck!!

Just got the call for the A! First acceptance this cycle!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call for the A! First acceptance this cycle!
Congrats!!!

If you are on the fb page, will you please let me know the total # of ppl in there? lol sorry to be a bother :)

Last edited:
Congrats!!!

If you are on the fb page, will you please let me know the total # of ppl in there? lol sorry to a bother :)
128, but 5 of those are admissions staff.

• Wow
Does anyone else have to take out their entire COA in private loans? Curious to hear how others plan on managing their finances regarding private loans.

128, but 5 of those are admissions staff.
I feel like there is no way I am getting off the WL, they have more interviews coming in April and they are planning to matriculate like 150 students.

oof

thanks for posting!

I feel like there is no way I am getting off the WL, they have more interviews coming in April and they are planning to matriculate like 150 students.

oof

thanks for posting!
Don't lose hope yet! Many students are on waitlist for other schools so not everyone in fb group will matriculate at CHSU. Don't get me wrong. CHSU is a great school and I am super excited to attend but lack of federal loan (they are saying they should be eligible for federal loan next year), letter grading, and virtual anatomy are effy to me.

• Love
Don't lose hope yet! Many students are on waitlist for other schools so not everyone in fb group will matriculate at CHSU. Don't get me wrong. CHSU is a great school and I am super excited to attend but lack of federal loan (they are saying they should be eligible for federal loan next year), letter grading, and virtual anatomy are effy to me.
Does this mean we'll only need a private loan for 1 year?

Does this mean we'll only need a private loan for 1 year?
Yep! The financial aid director also said he would work on getting govt loans to cover our private loans once the school gets accredited, though that's still up in the air.

oof

thanks for posting!
Don't lose hope! Right now, I'm committed to CHSU but I am waitlisted at 3 other schools that I would preferably attend. Wishing you the best of luck!

• Care
I don't like the letter grading either, can anyone comment if it is really hard to get A's and B'.s Still don't have an A, but this school is my top choice.

are most DO schools P/F?

I'm confused. Why is CHSU celebrating the match day for visiting students? Is there some special program I'm not aware of?
Found you a piece of the article from last year's match day (describes it better than I could lol):

"CHSU undertook this pilot project in 2019, placing medical students from other colleges of osteopathic medicine in Central Valley clinical rotation sites. CHSU provided resources to become a regional “core site” for Kansas City University and A.T. Still University-Kirksville.

CHSU began providing the visiting medical students with clerkship experiences, delivering on-campus didactics, and overseeing the entirety of the third-year medical education for a cohort of 8 visiting medical students, with two others joining during their fourth year.

Due to the overwhelming success of this collaborative project, both well-established “100-year-old” medical schools asked to increase the capacity for visiting students.

The project was undertaken in response to the overwhelming support of local physicians who wanted to provide undergraduate medical education, as well as a desire to impact the physician shortage in the Central Valley by exposing osteopathic medical students to local Graduate Medical Education (GME) programs. By hosting visiting third- and fourth-year medical students from these partnering schools, Valley physicians were able to start teaching the visiting medical students while CHSU began educating its inaugural class of first-year medical students.

CHSU faculty and staff worked with each student to find a residency program that would best meet their career specialty goals. CHSU-COM’s Office of Clinical Affairs and Community Engagement and Population Health, provided residency advising services for this cohort and served as a hub for clerkship rotations and “audition” rotations for residency programs locally. Visiting students had the opportunity to do sub-internships."

Found you a piece of the article from last year's match day (describes it better than I could lol):

"CHSU undertook this pilot project in 2019, placing medical students from other colleges of osteopathic medicine in Central Valley clinical rotation sites. CHSU provided resources to become a regional “core site” for Kansas City University and A.T. Still University-Kirksville.

CHSU began providing the visiting medical students with clerkship experiences, delivering on-campus didactics, and overseeing the entirety of the third-year medical education for a cohort of 8 visiting medical students, with two others joining during their fourth year.

Due to the overwhelming success of this collaborative project, both well-established “100-year-old” medical schools asked to increase the capacity for visiting students.

The project was undertaken in response to the overwhelming support of local physicians who wanted to provide undergraduate medical education, as well as a desire to impact the physician shortage in the Central Valley by exposing osteopathic medical students to local Graduate Medical Education (GME) programs. By hosting visiting third- and fourth-year medical students from these partnering schools, Valley physicians were able to start teaching the visiting medical students while CHSU began educating its inaugural class of first-year medical students.

CHSU faculty and staff worked with each student to find a residency program that would best meet their career specialty goals. CHSU-COM’s Office of Clinical Affairs and Community Engagement and Population Health, provided residency advising services for this cohort and served as a hub for clerkship rotations and “audition” rotations for residency programs locally. Visiting students had the opportunity to do sub-internships."
there are some pretty good schools that the students matched into.

Anyone getting the virtual campus tour emails, I’m on the waitlist, so not sure why I’m getting “interested in medical school” email?

Has there ever been a scenario where someone was denied a private loan?

Anyone getting the virtual campus tour emails, I’m on the waitlist, so not sure why I’m getting “interested in medical school” email?
would it be helpful to attend those even if on WL

haven't been getting these emails and I am also on WL

I am on the WL as well. Do you guys think there will be a big WL movement this year?

I am on the WL as well. Do you guys think there will be a big WL movement this year?
Hoping for one! That's all we can do is hope rn, I know it's hard because I hate the waiting game, again what can we do? LOL

Based on the last two year threads, movement doesnt happen until like May 10/11, I think May 15th is the date where you can only have one A, so perhaps we will hear good news in a month and half. :)

Last edited: