2021-2022 Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else here applying early decision to UKCOM?

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming M1 here at the NKY campus :) if anyone has any questions let me know. You all will rock this app cycle!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how many activities/experiences people are typically putting down. I feel like if I put everything down and fill all the spaces I won't have much to save for my secondaries. Any thoughts, opinions would be appreciated.

I was wondering how many activities/experiences people are typically putting down. I feel like if I put everything down and fill all the spaces I won't have much to save for my secondaries. Any thoughts, opinions would be appreciated.

I had a school tell me I was screened out for having less than 11 so I would say 11-15 for sure :) that was my first app cycle too and I added more the second time and was accepted!

I had a school tell me I was screened out for having less than 11 so I would say 11-15 for sure :) that was my first app cycle too and I added more the second time and was accepted!
Wow, can you say which school? Seems like a tactic employed by "low-yield" schools

I used all 15 spaces. I think the key is to make sure if you list 15 activities that all 15 contributed significantly in some way. For example, I probably would not put a 6 hour experience unless it was profound to your development in some way. I know admission committees like to see quality over quantity.

Also, I applied two years ago and I did talk about my experiences in my AMCAS and secondary applications. The good thing about the secondary is that you can talk about different aspects of your experiences or even expand on them since you do not have a lot of room in the AMCAS application.

Anyone know when UK sends out secondary apps? I applied later last time so I was not sure when they first sent them out.

I think usually it takes about a week or two. I am also applying this cycle!

I'm planning on reapplying this cycle- does UKCOM give any feedback to people who want to apply again? I did not get II the last time I applied, but then again I was complete in early October, which is pretty late. My responses to the long secondary was really personal and I used examples from my time growing up, so I'm not sure how I would change it this round...

I'm planning on reapplying this cycle- does UKCOM give any feedback to people who want to apply again? I did not get II the last time I applied, but then again I was complete in early October, which is pretty late. My responses to the long secondary was really personal and I used examples from my time growing up, so I'm not sure how I would change it this round...

Hi! I honestly think timing could have been everything. My first cycle I was complete in October and my second cycle I was complete in July and got the A! Just submit everything as soon as possible!! Also the regional campuses get chosen as 1st choice less frequently than Lexington so that can help, I’ll be attending Northern Kentucky!

Reactions: 2 users

I contacted the admissions office and they scheduled a meeting with me to go over my application. That could be worth a shot for you.

I applied late two years ago and the class was full when I interviewed and I was waitlisted. Timing means a lot I think. That is why I applied early decision this time. Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received the secondary invitation! Prompts:

Please elaborate on why this is your preferred campus. (1000)

What competencies and qualities do you feel a physician should possess? (1000)

Describe a personal activity involving advocacy, social justice, and/or civic engagement that has impacted your personal values about delivering equitable patient care. (1500)

Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful? (1000)

In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional state? (1000)

It is impossible to have predicted the drastic impact caused by the novel coronavirus identified as COVID-19. Describe the impact you have witnessed of this pandemic on those around you. (1500)

Please share unique, personally important,and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life/work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (1750)

I just received the secondary invitation! Prompts:

Please elaborate on why this is your preferred campus. (1000)

What competencies and qualities do you feel a physician should possess? (1000)

Describe a personal activity involving advocacy, social justice, and/or civic engagement that has impacted your personal values about delivering equitable patient care. (1500)

Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful? (1000)

In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional state? (1000)

It is impossible to have predicted the drastic impact caused by the novel coronavirus identified as COVID-19. Describe the impact you have witnessed of this pandemic on those around you. (1500)

Please share unique, personally important,and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life/work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (1750)
If you wouldn't mind sharing, IS or OOS?

If you wouldn't mind sharing, IS or OOS?

I am in state, early decision program. There were 3 additional OOS prompts:

Why have you chosen to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine? (1000)

Please elaborate on personal characteristics and any accomplishments and experiences that you feel help to demonstrate your potential to contribute to the college and to the profession of medicine. (1500)

Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc. (1000)

I am in state, early decision program. There were 3 additional OOS prompts:

Why have you chosen to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine? (1000)

Please elaborate on personal characteristics and any accomplishments and experiences that you feel help to demonstrate your potential to contribute to the college and to the profession of medicine. (1500)

Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc. (1000)
Thanks! Good luck! :)

I contacted the admissions office and they scheduled a meeting with me to go over my application. That could be worth a shot for you.

I applied late two years ago and the class was full when I interviewed and I was waitlisted. Timing means a lot I think. That is why I applied early decision this time. Good luck!
Hm, thanks for the info, and best of luck to you as well!

As far as the COVID question do you think it's ok to just focus on one effect or 2 effects and develop those better or do more of a list? The character count is so small and it affected so many people.

As far as the COVID question do you think it's ok to just focus on one effect or 2 effects and develop those better or do more of a list? The character count is so small and it affected so many people.
I did more of a list of effects to try and get all the major ones that affected so many people.

Does anyone know when the secondaries are sent out for IS?
I looked at the past threads and it seems like the secondary applications are sent out the second or third week of July. I am assuming I already got mine only because I applied early decision.

Did anyone else applying for the RD have a 750 character limit for the "Why is ______ your preferred campus?" question. I saw earlier the ED secondaries had a 1000 character count.

Did any other out of state applicants receive an email asking you to email them your specific ties to the state? I figured they would just ask that in a secondary.

Did anyone else applying for the RD have a 750 character limit for the "Why is ______ your preferred campus?" question. I saw earlier the ED secondaries had a 1000 character count.
Yes, that is just because I made a typo. Mine was also 750 words. Sorry for the confusion.

That’s weird. My “why us” was 1000 characters. I’m applying ED.

That’s weird. My “why us” was 1000 characters. I’m applying ED.
Oh wait - you are right. I looked back in my 'Applicant Gateway' and it does say 1000. Funny enough, I used 750/1000 characters.

Hey guys, I'm an IS applicant applying ED, has anyone received their interview invitations yet? I called the office of admissions and was told they wouldn't start notifying people until the week of July 19th but I'm so paranoid I'm gonna miss my email lol help

Do they send these secondaries out in batches? I am currently attending UK in their grad school but still haven't received one.

Hey guys, I'm an IS applicant applying ED, has anyone received their interview invitations yet? I called the office of admissions and was told they wouldn't start notifying people until the week of July 19th but I'm so paranoid I'm gonna miss my email lol help
Don’t worry. As long as you got the “complete” email, it’s just a waiting game until the 19th!

I have not received my email either. Just an email from them verifying my application was complete. I have been worried about missing an email as well. Good to know about the 19th.

I'm going to be a reapplicant and don't have 2 brand new LORs.... are my chances shot? :(

UK specifically says you need two new letters if you are reapplying. Going by that I doubt you would be successful if you tried applying without two new letters. :/
I'm going to be a reapplicant and don't have 2 brand new LORs.... are my chances shot? :(

RD OOS applicant with strong ties and got the pre-secondary R this weekend..

• Care
UK specifically says you need two new letters if you are reapplying. Going by that I doubt you would be successful if you tried applying without two new letters. :/
I've secured a second new letter!! :giggle:

I have not received my email either. Just an email from them verifying my application was complete. I have been worried about missing an email as well. Good to know about the 19th.
I still have yet to hear anything… I’ve been complete since June 30th

I still have yet to hear anything… I’ve been complete since June 30th
I have also not heard anything yet. Hopefully they will start sending them out this week.

Hey guys!! Just got off the phone with the admissions office and the lady said they’d start sending the invitations for interviews (at least for the Lexington campus) this afternoon or tomorrow! Also note that the interviews are in person and the first day they start is August 12th! (Not sure what the specifications are for other campuses, I just inquired about Lexington)

Hey guys!! Just got off the phone with the admissions office and the lady said they’d start sending the invitations for interviews (at least for the Lexington campus) this afternoon or tomorrow! Also note that the interviews are in person and the first day they start is August 12th! (Not sure what the specifications are for other campuses, I just inquired about Lexington)
Thanks for the info! I am interviewing at the Morehead campus and their interview dates start Friday, August 27th. I hope they also start sending out invites today/tomorrow.

Anyone applying to NKY campus? If so, would you be willing to share what you talked about with respect to the "why this campus" question?

Just got my II for the Lexington campus!

• Love
Just got my ll for the Lexington campus as well, ED applicant!

Thanks for the info! I am interviewing at the Morehead campus and their interview dates start Friday, August 27th. I hope they also start sending out invites today/tomorrow.
Morehead campus will be sending out IIs early next week!!