2021-2022 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know if they usually send all decisions out same day or hold back Rs and WLs

Members don't see this ad.

Just waitlisted post-II

Anyone know how successful their waitlist is? This is my top choice and in-state I’m very nervous 😢

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted just now after interviewing two weeks ago. Third interview, and third waitlist result...must be doing something wrong in my interviews.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
II this morning, OOS! Telephone interview conducted in AUGUST 😂. Will be withdrawing, hope it goes to someone else instead!

Is there an accepted student groupme for the Class of 2026 yet?

JUST GOT THE A VIA CALL!!!! they gave me a half-tuition scholarship!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know how many applicants are in the waitlist?
I'm guessing ~200-300. They have ~450 II go out and everyone who isn't accepted seems to be waitlisted. On that same note I don't know how many people pull themselves from the waitlist after being accepted elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing ~200-300. They have ~450 II go out and everyone who isn't accepted seems to be waitlisted. On that same note I don't know how many people pull themselves from the waitlist after being accepted elsewhere.
Gotcha, I’m trying to get a feel for how many post interview rejections there are, but it seems to be that almost everyone is waitlisted.
This is my top choice so I’m a little antsy 😢

Does anybody know if institutional need based aid is awarded in addition to the half tuition scholarships. Also does anybody who is familiar with the area know if an extra 30000 is needed? The rents look relatively cheap.

Well that’s a dagger… my merit-based scholarship is essentially irrelevant :/
Full tuition at another school is still cheaper than WMed WITH my merit scholarship. And I got a scholarship that was five figures.
guess they don't want us that bad LOL :rofl:

Full tuition at another school is still cheaper than WMed WITH my merit scholarship. And I got a scholarship that was five figures.
Aren’t the merit scholarships all half, making tuition 33k or did it go up for next year?

Did you get the half tuition scholarship? I don't think the cost will go be over $50k with housing.

Did you get the half tuition scholarship? I don't think the cost will go be over $50k with housing.
Plus, if you look at the COA breakdown, some things really may not ever be needed (ex. A laptop for over 3000 dollars, transportation for over 3000 dollars. I mean I guess if you have a car payment but there seems to be a ton of apartments within walking distance so don’t know why it’s needed for m1)

I got a 4 figure scholarship at WMed, but my total cost still over 60k 😳. I do love WMed, but the cost really scares me, I got a really good deal at one T30 school that reduces my annual tuition significantly, even if I got scholarship at WMed, unless it is almost full ride scholarship, is hard to choose WMed over the other school

Last edited:
Do most med students live in the neighborhood right near Bronson hospital?

On what basis do they give out scholarships? Is it like based on your gpa and mcat? Like college scholarships? Or is it based on your background/demographics?

Does anyone know when WMed starts accepting people off the waitlist? I think last year it was in March, but not sure. Do they still follow the same pattern of every other Wednesday?

Does anyone know when WMed starts accepting people off the waitlist? I think last year it was in March, but not sure. Do they still follow the same pattern of every other Wednesday?
They have been accepting off the waitlist already, as per users earlier in this thread.

Does anybody know if institutional need based aid is awarded in addition to the half tuition scholarships. Also does anybody who is familiar with the area know if an extra 30000 is needed? The rents look relatively cheap.
You don't qualify for need based institutional aid if you're getting a merit scholarship. Also keep in mind you need to cover the cost of living for an entire year since the curriculum is decompressed. You may not need 30k but soul have to budget that out. You can always return aid money you don't need/use within a certain window

You don't qualify for need based institutional aid if you're getting a merit scholarship. Also keep in mind you need to cover the cost of living for an entire year since the curriculum is decompressed. You may not need 30k but soul have to budget that out. You can always return aid money you don't need/use within a certain window
Thank you! Are you a current student? If so, I was wondering if there is a certain neighborhood or apartment that most students stay in. Not familiar with the town/city

Withdrew from interview today so hopefully one of you guys can get it.

I just got the call a few minutes ago, this is my first MD A!
For those of you who have been accepted and received a scholarship, was that information included/communicated at the time of your acceptance?

I just got the call a few minutes ago, this is my first MD A!
For those of you who have been accepted and received a scholarship, was that information included/communicated at the time of your acceptance?
When did you interview if I may ask?

Just got the call, I was accepted off the waitlist after interviewing January 21st. This is my first A after being waitlisted at several other schools, so I could not be happier right now.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
sitting here after being on the WL for >2 months like
1646080368840.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Just got the call, I was accepted off the waitlist after interviewing January 21st. This is my first A after being waitlisted at several other schools, so I could not be happier right now.
Did u send any letter or anything?

Is anybody worried that there will be 86 vs 72 students this upcoming year. Very excited about this school and will probably attend have already started looking apartment. Just wondering how this expansion might impact clinical/research opportunities?

Thank you! Are you a current student? If so, I was wondering if there is a certain neighborhood or apartment that most students stay in. Not familiar with the town/city
Sorry for the delay in response, I'm not on here often. Yes I'm a current student and in regards to areas students stay all over since it's not a huge city. It depends mostly on your budget, if you'll have roommates, if you wanna be able to walk to school or if you're ok driving. After the commit deadline you get documents with suggested places to live from existing.

Is anybody worried that there will be 86 vs 72 students this upcoming year. Very excited about this school and will probably attend have already started looking apartment. Just wondering how this expansion might impact clinical/research opportunities?
Also the class size is usually 84, so 86 is not a big jump

in the latest financial aid email it said the scholarship committee was meeting again early march. Has anyone heard anything about merit scholarships recently who was accepted in the last few months?

in the latest financial aid email it said the scholarship committee was meeting again early march. Has anyone heard anything about merit scholarships recently who was accepted in the last few months?
I was accepted about a month ago and was awarded a merit scholarship two weeks later.