2021-2022 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you interview?
I interviewed December 3rd.

Also for anyone still frantically refreshing, wishing all you guys luck!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think we’re going to hear anything this week? I know they said at my interview day we would all hear before the holidays

Waitlisted, interviewed second week of December.

Has anyone been rejected post 2nd interview? It seems like a lot of people are just getting waitlisted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what the waitlist movement is like in this school?
I just did some sleuthing on last year's WMed thread. This is all based on what I read, so it is not set in stone but this is the trend I saw:
*There were no post 2nd interview Rs, so either they just WL or people getting Rs don't post
* it looks like PI invites died off after December.
*There were no more II past the end of Feb.
* Acceptances off the waitlist came as early as Dec-Jan, but the majority ( of which there were a lot) came following the April deadline.

Reactions: 1 users
Idk when their last interview date is, but I definitely got an interview that is scheduled for fairly late. Hopefully its not an auto-waitlist!

• Love
I just did some sleuthing on last year's WMed thread. This is all based on what I read, so it is not set in stone but this is the trend I saw:
*There were no post 2nd interview Rs, so either they just WL or people getting Rs don't post
* it looks like PI invites died off after December.
*There were no more II past the end of Feb.
* Acceptances off the waitlist came as early as Dec-Jan, but the majority ( of which there were a lot) came following the April deadline.
Thank you so much!

Idk when their last interview date is, but I definitely got an interview that is scheduled for fairly late. Hopefully its not an auto-waitlist!
They accepted people that had late interview dates (feb-march) last year. It's by no means a death sentence to have a late II! Good luck!

• Love
They accepted people that had late interview dates (feb-march) last year. It's by no means a death sentence to have a late II! Good luck!
100% true. I posted about this a while back, but we have at least 2 students attending who were in the last interview day in March (and had no WL time). Several more in February (including me). And those are just the students I'm aware of - I'm sure there were more. Give it your all because you definitely have a shot at that A.

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps this has been posted elsewhere, but what's the best way to prepare for this interview? Just practice standard interview questions?

Perhaps this has been posted elsewhere, but what's the best way to prepare for this interview? Just practice standard interview questions?
Yes I would say so! I feel like most of the questions I got asked were standard. Otherwise, just review your own application materials in case they ask about it.

So my parents have been asking... what's the difference between this place and a high tier DO program? Is this a super low tier MD school? Will it hurt you for competitive specialties? I saw the match list with some impressive matches - U Chicago, Mayo Clinic, UVA, etc... but what is the general consensus about Stryker's match and your prospects after attending here?

I checked the PD rankings and it was at 155, beneath several DO schools. Is this because it is new?

So my parents have been asking... what's the difference between this place and a high tier DO program? Is this a super low tier MD school? Will it hurt you for competitive specialties? I saw the match list with some impressive matches - U Chicago, Mayo Clinic, UVA, etc... but what is the general consensus about Stryker's match and your prospects after attending here?

I checked the PD rankings and it was at 155, beneath several DO schools. Is this because it is new?
It’s a newish school so is ‘ranked’ low due to lack of familiarity; furthermore, PD rankings are flawed and based off a very small sample and thus have skewed results related to many other factors, one of which being regional bias. What’s far more important is how comfortable you feel with the environment of a particular med school because the most important factor to matching well is your individual application—research, LORs, Step 2, etc. WMed has matched neurosurgery and other of the most competitive specialties, so this goes to show that WMed has the necessary resources to make a competitive application as long as you put in the necessary work. DO schools, on the other hand, have a stigma which actually presents a hinderance to matching into competitive specialities. One final note: those PD rankings have a Caribbean school ranked higher than a variety of great US MD schools and DO schools AKA it’s a flawed list.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
For those accepted, has anyone heard about scholarships? The financial aid email said they would start coming out mid-December
I’m wondering this too. WMed has been my favorite school I’ve been accepted to but it also has the highest COA of any school I’ve interviewed at. I was wondering if anyone could speak to the merit and need based aid they offer. Also if anyone knew how the 300 million dollar donation factors into their financial aid packages they offer now that’d be awesome.

I’m wondering this too. WMed has been my favorite school I’ve been accepted to but it also has the highest COA of any school I’ve interviewed at. I was wondering if anyone could speak to the merit and need based aid they offer. Also if anyone knew how the 300 million dollar donation factors into their financial aid packages they offer now that’d be awesome.
It’s private… that’s why

Exactly what @orangeapple123 said (thanks for the great answer!). It's a new school and I think we've only matched 4 classes so far? So that's pretty impressive IMO. Additionally, the affiliated hospitals (Bronson and Borgess) used to be rotation sites for Michigan State students and have had residency programs starting in 1946. So medical education in Kalamazoo is pretty established, even though the school is new. There are quite a few - here's a list.

WMed residencies and fellowships

If you want to talk more about it, DM me and I'll send you links to match lists and my overall impression as a student more privately. This goes for anyone with this question or any that they don't want to post. We're on break so I have plenty of free time to get back with you.

They're still meeting in committees and stuff to finalize what's going on with the big donation, as far as I know. The dean told us they're hoping to be able to offer all WMed students some sort of scholarship in the future, but I have no idea what that will look like or when it'll come into effect.

I don't know about merit scholarships because I was accepted late and they were gone 😅 need-based go on EFC, so I don't know if they're all the same amount, but I do know what the max is. It's not exactly fantastic by any means, but anything is better than nothing. Cost was something I had to really weigh against the positives to make my decision between acceptances (but I obviously chose WMed in the end). I decided I wanted to go wherever the best match was for me and I would be happiest. It's 4 grueling years. Talking to friends at other schools, I have no regrets. I clearly love it here overall, but the best school for me will not be the best school for everyone. At the end of the day, go to the school that is the best fit for YOU and you won't regret your decision.

Last edited:

My 2 cents. Most patients don’t know where their doctors went to med school and usually it doesn’t play a role in who they choose to see. All patients will see MD or DO. Personally I don’t think there should be such a stigma associated with the latter but is unfortunately.

After an A, is the document they send you to sign a full on commitment or is it just to hold your spot?

The class size is about 1/5 of the interviews given, according to last year's Class Profile. There are obviously more people accepted than people in the class. Does anyone know percentage wise how many people are accepted after the virtual interview?

The class size is about 1/5 of the interviews given, according to last year's Class Profile. There are obviously more people accepted than people in the class. Does anyone know percentage wise how many people are accepted after the virtual interview?
This is the math done from last year's thread, hope it helps!

My Greatest Hope.png

If I still haven’t received a phone interview can I pretty much rule this school out…really not appreciating the delayed rejections of so many schools :(

Pre-II rejection, OOS, 3.6 cGPA, 511 MCAT, completed application early October

Pre-II rejection, OOS, 3.6 cGPA, 511 MCAT, completed application early October
+1

Experience review completed 11/01 -- was waiting for phone interview invite. Also completed early October. Good luck everyone!!

+1

Experience review completed 11/01 -- was waiting for phone interview invite. Also completed early October. Good luck everyone!!
+1 Pre II rejection, IS, 3.8 gpa, 514 mcat, completed application in August

Lol just send me mine already. Been in consideration for a phone interview since August. What’s the point of making people wait?

Lol just send me mine already. Been in consideration for a phone interview since August. What’s the point of making people wait?
Manifesting that R for the both of us.

Pre-II R received this morning. Experiences review complete on 8/29 and update letter sent about a month ago. GL everyone else!

I know it's confidential and everyone who interviewed probably had to sign an NDA.... But..... Can anyone shed some light on this group activity during the interview? Is it pretty low-stress and easy-going? Anything I really need to prepare for?

Thank you in advance for any help/insight!

Last edited:
I know it's confidential and everyone who interviewed probably had to sign an NDA agreement.... But..... Can anyone shed some light on this group activity during the interview? Is it pretty low-stress and easy-going? Anything I really need to prepare for?

Thank you in advance for any help/insight!
The group activity is super low stress, definitely nothing to prepare for

Does anyone know how I should submit fall grades to Wmed?
I don't believe the committee accepts grade updates, as the portal specifies only clinical exposure, research or publications, and paid/volunteer experiences.

Does anyone know if the decision timeframe is still around 4 weeks post-interview?

Does anyone know if the decision timeframe is still around 4 weeks post-interview?
This post gave me a lot of unspecified lower back pain. ;)

Have an interview scheduled but will be canceling and withdrawing. Good luck everyone!