2021-2022 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if UMich (or other schools) allow you to jot down notes during the MMI?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Also, for the optional competencies question pre-interview, are you guys leaving it blank if you finished all course pre-reqs? Their site has a bunch of examples of alternative ways to fulfill pre-reqs, but I don't need to provide those details if I have the classes, right?

Is submitting a secondary for umich in august essentially a auto-reject?

Members don't see this ad :)
YMMV. Their 5 year tracker reports that 23% of applications are submitted in August and they account for 10% of all IIs. Auto-reject is in the eye of the beholder, but it does not compare favorably with June/July applications constituting 66% of submissions and 87% of IIs.

Put yet another way, 9% of June/July submissions result in an II while only 3% of August submissions do. That's kind of close to auto-reject, as the number only decreases to 2% for submissions from September on.

It's worth keeping in mind that this includes last year, when everything skewed a little later due to the delayed first AMCAS transmission due to the pandemic. Michigan is unmistakably telling us that August submissions are at a distinct disadvantage, even though auto-reject is technically not true, since 66 out of 495 IIs go to people who submit after July.

Last edited:
Its already Monday?

Ah **** here we go again…

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
23 IIs sent out today per the twitter. A bit less than previous weeks but may the odds be ever in yalls favor!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone complete 7/17 and OOS and still no invite?

Anyone know Michigan’s Post II acceptance rate ? I know there was a excel for all schools a few cycles ago , would much appreciate a link to it for last cycle ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing. Sucks but definitely not giving up hope, looking at past years people who completed early were still getting II’s through January. Long road ahead of us!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone complete 7/17 and OOS and still no invite?
lol I was complete on 7/8 OOS - but I'm also not sure if they fully review their apps chronologically. They probs stratify apps in ways other than "marked complete". as disappointing as it is to not have received an II over the past 3 Michigan Mondays, I refuse to give up hope till thanksgiving time lol.

Anyone know Michigan’s Post II acceptance rate ? I know there was a excel for all schools a few cycles ago , would much appreciate a link to it for last cycle ?
Here you go. Looks like it is about 81.4% with IS being slightly higher than OOS

Reactions: 2 users
That is one of the highest I’ve ever seen.
Yep! It makes me nervous wondering what it takes to *not* get accepted post-II, haha

And also, on the flip side, they historically don't usually pull from the waitlist at all...

complete 6/27, OOS, and no invite...I'm giving up hope at this point
hang in there!! I don’t have any proof of this but I doubt they only go through apps chronologically. There’s still a lot of II spots and Mondays left!

yo what are you all putting for your fun fact, I think thats the hardest question

II received!!!!! I was not expecting it because I was complete August 3rd (but I also went to Michigan for undergrad so that probs helped me some)
GPA: 3.89 MCAT: 510,520 ORM, IS

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Another Monday, another day of silence 🥺

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 12 users
Was complete 6/27 and no II… should I give up hope?
I was complete 6/25 so I’m in the same group. However, I’m still hopeful and you should be too! I’m not giving up until I get that R.

Reactions: 5 users
Just wondering how long does it take for an app to stay under review? My primary was verified late but secondary was submitted back in July a few days after it was received (7/26 I think? )

II today! 3.88, 518, ORM, OOS, secondary submitted 7/3 but application not completed until 7/26 due to waiting for committee letter. don't lose hope guys!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
also I saw some posts about michigan requiring extra essays after getting the II but I haven't seen any info for that? does anyone who has gotten an II previously have any more insight on this?

also I saw some posts about michigan requiring extra essays after getting the II but I haven't seen any info for that? does anyone who has gotten an II previously have any more insight on this?
I received the info on this in the evening on the same day of getting the II.

• Love
II received yesterday :)

ORM, 520, 3.96 (3.98), OOS, 2nd quartile on CASPER

EDIT: Complete on 8/11/21

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think umich has already given out a third of planned interviews (they have a tracker on the website.) what percentage would most people guess that other schools are at. It seemed kind of high tbh

I think umich has already given out a third of planned interviews (they have a tracker on the website.) what percentage would most people guess that other schools are at. It seemed kind of high tbh
UA Phoenix's tracker says they've offered 137 interviews and they're usually at a bit more than 400 interviews offered per cycle, so they have also offered about 1/3rd of planned interviews!

UA Phoenix's tracker says they've offered 137 interviews and they're usually at a bit more than 400 interviews offered per cycle, so they have also offered about 1/3rd of planned interviews!
Vanderbilt has also offered 156 interviews out of ~550 total, so nearly 1/3 as well.

Mich started sending interviews quite early and has also consistently sent them out. So, it is unlikely that most other schools (other than a few), are also up to that 33% mark. Also, last cycle schools sent out more invites than normal, so it is possible that 33% number is closer to 25%.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of these odds. Seems like a lot sent already
Are any of us really a fan of any of the odds here? Less that 40% of applicants will be M1s next year. Depending on the school, and IS or OOS, the odds of receiving an II at an individual school range from under 5% to around 30%, and this is based on numbers from before the spike in applications last year, so is certainly even lower now.

The end result of this is that a select few are going to be blessed with an embarrassment of riches, some will be lucky to have a few IIs, and many will be shut out. It's already begun to play out, and will continue until next spring.

We all know this going in. IMHO, observing the obvious after a month or so of IIs going out doesn't really add much to the conversation, and certainly doesn't do anything to reduce the anxiety many, apparently including you, are feeling.