2021-2022 Michigan

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

For the 6 minute short form interviews, is the whole interaction 6 minutes or are we going to be talking a whole 6 minutes for each answer? trying to figure out how long I should aim for my mmi answers to be
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is this school receptive to pre-II updates/interest letters?
Impression I’ve gotten from past sub was that letters of interest before an II are considered a bit of faux pas. In terms of updates, I think if it’s something substantial (I.e coauthored paper is published, new position in an org, etc), it’s worth updating them on, but I wouldn’t let it turn into an interest letter.
 
Do people think it’s likely that Umich will scale back on the number of interviews this year? I think it was increased this past cycle but only 15 IIs given this past week?
 
Do people think it’s likely that Umich will scale back on the number of interviews this year? I think it was increased this past cycle but only 15 IIs given this past week?
So a little while back, I went through UMich's admissions Twitter account and found the following info on number of IIs sent out. You can expect to see some fluctuation from week to week.

27 (8/10)
24 (8/17)
31 (8/24)
28 (8/31)
25 (9/8)
13 (9/14)
24 (9/21)
20 (9/28)
16 (10/5)
20 (10/12)
20 (10/19)
21 (10/26)
10 (11/2)
11 (11/9)
14 (11/16)
11 (11/30)
12 (12/7)
12 (12/14)
15 (12/21)
30 (1/4)
10 (1/11)
18 (1/19)
? (1/25)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So a little while back, I went through UMich's admissions Twitter account and found the following info on number of IIs sent out. You can expect to see some fluctuation from week to week.

27 (8/10)
24 (8/17)
31 (8/24)
28 (8/31)
25 (9/8)
13 (9/14)
24 (9/21)
20 (9/28)
16 (10/5)
20 (10/12)
20 (10/19)
21 (10/26)
10 (11/2)
11 (11/9)
14 (11/16)
11 (11/30)
12 (12/7)
12 (12/14)
15 (12/21)
30 (1/4)
10 (1/11)
18 (1/19)
? (1/25)
Wow…did you write a script or go through all the tweets by hand lol?
 
Are you talking about the one 8-9? I thought that this was available to anybody. Is it just for people who have received interviews?
How did you find out about it, or get a link? I'd be shocked if any school made "interview previews" available to everyone, as opposed to general information sessions.
 
How did you find out about it, or get a link? I'd be shocked if any school made "interview previews" available to everyone, as opposed to general information sessions.
School website. Believe that it was also posted to Twitter.

I just didn’t know if @Dogruffle01 was talking about this or a different info session
 
School website. Believe that it was also posted to Twitter.
Oh! 🙂 You are definitely ahead of me, and here I was thinking that you were complaining while sitting on a Michigan interview! 🙂

What you are talking about is a recruiting thing/general information Q&A. What @Dogruffle01 was asking about is a required thing interviewees attend before their interviews. From their website: "*Sessions will be conducted through Zoom video conferencing and the Attendify virtual event app. Interviewees will be provided with specific instructions at a required session on the Monday before interview day."

These are definitely two different things, and yours is definitely available to everyone (otherwise, they wouldn't be soliciting questions on Twitter!).
 
Last edited:
Are you talking about the one 8-9? I thought that this was available to anybody. Is it just for people who have received interviews?
2EB41099-D0A5-47BF-AE65-F71BDADCAD49.jpeg

I’m referring to the 24 hrs in blue email and this Monday session.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Makes sense, I knew no one would hear before 10/15 due to the traffic rule, but I was wondering how many cohorts of interview days were told by October 20th.
I do also think the trafficking rules are bs cause NYU said that they would say their decision next week.
 
Interviewed today & was told we’d be notified of a decision by nov 22 for anyone that is curious. So it seems like they’re probs doing monthly batches?
bummed bc I feel like I did so poorly today, but we’ll see how it goes! Best of luck to everyone for the rest of the app process!
Hey can you please comment on what the interview structure was like and questions that they asked ?
 
Hello Everyone ,

If anyone has done their interview already please share --what questions you were asked and also the structure ? Was the vibe good ?

Thank You 🙂
 
Interviewed today & was told we’d be notified of a decision by nov 22 for anyone that is curious. So it seems like they’re probs doing monthly batches?
bummed bc I feel like I did so poorly today, but we’ll see how it goes! Best of luck to everyone for the rest of the app process!
So does that mean all October interviews find out on 11/22? I hope I don't have to wait until December lmao
 
Last edited:
So a little while back, I went through UMich's admissions Twitter account and found the following info on number of IIs sent out. You can expect to see some fluctuation from week to week.

27 (8/10)
24 (8/17)
31 (8/24)
28 (8/31)
25 (9/8)
13 (9/14)
24 (9/21)
20 (9/28)
16 (10/5)
20 (10/12)
20 (10/19)
21 (10/26)
10 (11/2)
11 (11/9)
14 (11/16)
11 (11/30)
12 (12/7)
12 (12/14)
15 (12/21)
30 (1/4)
10 (1/11)
18 (1/19)
? (1/25)
Thanks for this!

Based on these numbers, roughly 208 (of a total of 455 interviews, based on 2021 snapshot) were offered at this point last year. Seems we’re approaching the hump.

For further context, 235 interviews have been scheduled for this cycle out of an unknown total, although 5yr avg is 495 invites.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So does that mean all October interviews find out on 11/22? I'm on 10/22 so naturally I hope I don't have to wait until December lmao
According to this link: Timeline
If you scroll down to October it says "With our rolling admissions notifications, applicants are notified of their status by no later than the 20th of the month following the month in which their interview took place beginning in October." So based on past comments on this thread it seems right and is what they are telling applicants on interview day!
 
According to this link: Timeline
If you scroll down to October it says "With our rolling admissions notifications, applicants are notified of their status by no later than the 20th of the month following the month in which their interview took place beginning in October." So based on past comments on this thread it seems right and is what they are telling applicants on interview day!
LMAO how did I miss that smh

Thank you friend
 
Got a II here. For the interview week, it looks like Monday afternoon is an interview preview day.
Is there any word on whether that is a required event or something I can attend in business casual? I will be on travel that week and was not planning on packing a suit. I scheduled the interview day thinking I would be back in time for the interview day Friday.