2021-2022 Rowan (Cooper)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have Cooper's 2021 Match list? I only see the rowan DO match list for 2021, not cooper MD. Only match list for cooper I found was 2019

they had two dates in march! I looked into April and nothing was open :(
Usually the two dates in March are the last interview dates. I haven't heard of Cooper doing interviews in April.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Am a current student. If you have any questions, let me know! If you need a good place to live as well, let me know! And if you need to buy things I'm most certainly selling XD. Congrats!
Thank you for your offer. When do you recommend to start looking for housing? Please recommend areas where most of the students live. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your offer. When do you recommend to start looking for housing? Please recommend areas where most of the students live. Thanks
You can start looking whenever. I suggest looking around as early as possible, figuring out what you want, your budget, etc. What is nice is that while financial responsibility is still key, the loans you will need to take out will very much help you find a good place to live. In medical school, the they'll give you a silly amount of money b/c they know they're getting it back x2 in the future lol.

If it's Philly, it's usually center city or somewhere along or close to the PATCO line. You'll need access to it if you want to commute w/ it. 99% of Philly ppl use it daily.

If it's NJ, Haddon is lovely. Sleepy. Plenty of food. Plenty of places to study, live, etc. I live here. I can 100% recommend my place if you message me. Utilities included at a flat rate. Sleepy. Good area. If you're in NJ and not Cooper Village, you'll probably need/want a car. Not impossible w/o one (PATCO is 10 minutes walking from me as well and it's a 20 minute drive into CMSRU) but later on you'll spend money on Ubers in 3rd yr if you don't have a car and don't carpool (which you won't want to do).

In Cooper Village, it's literally across from the school. It's the city. It's a relatively safe area if you don't play stupid games. The PATCO is close by obviously for trips into the city. It's a food desert. Carpooling or weekly shopping runs w/ ppl is ideal. You'll essentially need to leave the city for actual groceries. The community in Cooper Village (COVID disclaimer) was, for us, great. The ppl hang out, carpool, etc. Having a car just makes it so convenient, both here and in NJ proper.

You can start looking whenever. I suggest looking around as early as possible, figuring out what you want, your budget, etc. What is nice is that while financial responsibility is still key, the loans you will need to take out will very much help you find a good place to live. In medical school, the they'll give you a silly amount of money b/c they know they're getting it back x2 in the future lol.

If it's Philly, it's usually center city or somewhere along or close to the PATCO line. You'll need access to it if you want to commute w/ it. 99% of Philly ppl use it daily.

If it's NJ, Haddon is lovely. Sleepy. Plenty of food. Plenty of places to study, live, etc. I live here. I can 100% recommend my place if you message me. Utilities included at a flat rate. Sleepy. Good area. If you're in NJ and not Cooper Village, you'll probably need/want a car. Not impossible w/o one (PATCO is 10 minutes walking from me as well and it's a 20 minute drive into CMSRU) but later on you'll spend money on Ubers in 3rd yr if you don't have a car and don't carpool (which you won't want to do).

In Cooper Village, it's literally across from the school. It's the city. It's a relatively safe area if you don't play stupid games. The PATCO is close by obviously for trips into the city. It's a food desert. Carpooling or weekly shopping runs w/ ppl is ideal. You'll essentially need to leave the city for actual groceries. The community in Cooper Village (COVID disclaimer) was, for us, great. The ppl hang out, carpool, etc. Having a car just makes it so convenient, both here and in NJ proper.
Thank you so much for such detailed response. Need to start making arrangements soon.

hi, if you’ve emailed admissions an interest letter or intent letter did you get a reply back acknowledging it?

For those who have interviewed how long after did you get your decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the cycle done? No more II’s. Just need to scratch this one off the list

II just now, only date open was this Friday. Completed first week of July and sent a still interested email yesterday. Been waiting for this one for a while, def one of my top choices!!

II just now, only date open was this Friday. Completed first week of July and sent a still interested email yesterday. Been waiting for this one for a while, def one of my top choices!!
when did you send the still interested email?

Can you please share the basic structure of your email. I'm on a pre-interview hold for another school and would like to use your approach. Thanks!

Pre-II R today. Seems like another school with sketchy admissions criteria with certain students with much lower stats getting in over students with higher stats and good ECs. LM 80. Hoping for posterity that there's an admissions scandal at some of these new jersey schools because I'm not the first person in my group of premeds to see this kind of thing from these lower and mid-tier schools.
Cooper is a school that values community service. Do you have significant nonclinical community service on your app? I didn't, and I was waitlisted

Pre-II R today. Seems like another school with sketchy admissions criteria with certain students with much lower stats getting in over students with higher stats and good ECs. LM 80. Hoping for posterity that there's an admissions scandal at some of these new jersey schools because I'm not the first person in my group of premeds to see this kind of thing from these lower and mid-tier schools.
Stats. Aren’t. Everything. Where did you get IIs and As from?

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Just got pre-II R’d, IS, currently very emo

• Care
Withdrew my acceptance. Sending good vibes to everyone on the waitlist and hope y'all see some movement soon.

I do have both significant clinical and nonclinical community service on my app.

I didn't say they're everything. I know that I have what some might consider stellar ECs in addition to my stats. Why does it matter where I got my IIs and As from?
It doesn't. Your experience just proves that resource protection is a thing. There is no reason to conclude that an admissions process is "sketchy" because a so-called lower or mid-tier school favors candidates they deem to be a better fit, or more likely to attend, than someone with better stats and what some might consider stellar ECs.

Either you did better at "better" schools that were a better fit for you, or else maybe you aren't as strong a candidate as you thought. Either way, there is no reason to cast shade at any school that rejects you pre-II, or at the people they interview and accept. The process is brutal, and just about everyone has experiences similar to yours at many schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You're creating a catch-22 situation here that's also confounded by ORM/URM status. Either I'm competitive enough to guarantee myself a seat, or I fall into the mesh with students with lower stats or average matriculant stats where adcoms are using vague, biased, or flat-out nepotistic methods to determine who gets the seat.

And no, this is not happening at every school. I've interviewed at several schools that didn't have such a sketchy admissions process. All of the NJ schools and some of the New York schools have suspicious admissions criteria. People here are apparently too afraid to question the status quo with these schools, but naming and shaming these schools is a good start. Rowan falls into this category- the adcoms are as shady as it gets.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what do you mean by the adcoms being “sketchy”? How are they different from adcoms outside of NY and NJ?

You're creating a catch-22 situation here that's also confounded by ORM/URM status. Either I'm competitive enough to guarantee myself a seat, or I fall into the mesh with students with lower stats or average matriculant stats where adcoms are using vague, biased, or flat-out nepotistic methods to determine who gets the seat.

And no, this is not happening at every school. I've interviewed at several schools that didn't have such a sketchy admissions process. All of the NJ schools and some of the New York schools have suspicious admissions criteria. People here are apparently too afraid to question the status quo with these schools, but naming and shaming these schools is a good start. Rowan falls into this category- the adcoms are as shady as it gets.
I might be very naive, but I honestly have no idea what this means! I applied pretty widely throughout most regions of the country, and didn't experience anything I consider "sketchy" or "shady" anywhere. I was rejected all over the place, and have also had some success spread pretty evenly geographically. Being ignored, ghosted and generally treated like crap is hardly limited to the northeast, or mid or low tier schools.

In my experience, a very few schools make a very concerted effort to be responsive and treat everyone well. The vast majority of schools, however, focus on the task at hand -- selecting an incoming class. If the adcom isn't interested in you, the staff has no time for you. Period. Med school admissions nowadays is a very frustrating, holistic black box, but that is hardly limited to NY and NJ.

Being treated poorly after we spend a lot of time and money putting together an application is rude, inconsiderate and sucks, but is an unfortunate feature of a "sellers' market" in which we need them and they don't need us. Complaining about it isn't going to change anything, so, I guess you should feel free to name and shame away.

There is a school in CA that might lose its accreditation, and people are still knocking down its doors to get in, so what exactly is the issue with NY and NJ schools? TBH, while I have found some NY and NJ schools to be more responsive than others, I haven't had an issue with any of them, have no complaints, and honestly have no idea what "sketchy" or "shady" even means with respect to them. Please explain.

Get over yourself lol, maybe they just read your essays and didn’t like you or thought your personality wouldn’t mesh with their students.

Reactions: 5 users
If you have the mentality that complaining about it won't change anything, there's nothing more I can add here other than to say that's a very toxic and limited mindset, especially since we're future physicians who can impact this. It's not *just* NY and NJ schools that have this problems, but they've had by far the most opaque and suspicious admissions process that I've dealt with. The students I know at some of these schools (notably Cooper, RWJ, NJMS, NYIT, Jacobs SOM) have added that there is some seriously dubious stuff going on when discussing admissions. This includes nepotism, discriminating against students based on race/religion, and even attractiveness (I'm not joking, unfortunately). When you turn a blind eye or pass it off as normal/acceptable, you're inviting this stuff to happen. Hold them accountable.
I honestly don't know how to respond, since I've never heard this before. All I meant by my comment about complaining being pointless is that applicants complaining about a process that is by definition opaque and frustrating, due to the huge supply/demand imbalance is, by it's very nature, pointless, since applicants cannot take their business elsewhere and no school needs any disgruntled applicant.

With respect to your specific allegations, no one who was rejected pre-II would be in a position to know first-hand whether any of what you posted is true, and it's libelous if it isn't true. The people who could effect change, if any of it is true, are the "future physicians," or anyone else at the schools who witnessed the conduct. If they are unable or unwilling to step up, no, neither you, me, nor any other anonymous posters on an internet forum are going to change anything, so posting about it without any facts or evidence is pointless.

If you have the mentality that complaining about it won't change anything, there's nothing more I can add here other than to say that's a very toxic and limited mindset, especially since we're future physicians who can impact this. It's not *just* NY and NJ schools that have this problems, but they've had by far the most opaque and suspicious admissions process that I've dealt with. The students I know at some of these schools (notably Cooper, RWJ, NJMS, NYIT, Jacobs SOM) have added that there is some seriously dubious stuff going on when discussing admissions. This includes nepotism, discriminating against students based on race/religion, and even attractiveness (I'm not joking, unfortunately). When you turn a blind eye or pass it off as normal/acceptable, you're inviting this stuff to happen. Hold them accountable.

More gaslighting- it was a pre-II R so I'm not sure how they'd get any idea about my personality, unless you're implying that my essays are somehow an indicator of that, which is a fallacious assumption. Maybe you should take your own advice and get over yourself, champ. These admissions are opaque to cover their own behinds.

As a current student:

1. We interview you as well and have a say as well. lmao. Pretty sure I never had sketchiness involved in room 520, when I raised my hand, same as everyone else, physicians included. I hold my peeps accountable lmao.
2. You have anecdotal evidence that NJ schools are 'dubious'.
3. CMSRU is extremely competitive b/c it gets so many applications.
4. Everything can go right in applying, but that doesn't mean anything. You could get no A's b/c your interviewer was upset that day. It is what it is unfortunately. Keep trying and if you are what you say you are, eventually you'll get in somewhere.

Reactions: 4 users
Decisions coming out Thursday. Wishing the best of luck for everyone! I have been thinking though… how does Cooper do with waitlist movement? What are their levels, and is being waitlisted from Cooper a soft R?

Reactions: 1 users
Decisions coming out Thursday. Wishing the best of luck for everyone! I have been thinking though… how does Cooper do with waitlist movement? What are their levels, and is being waitlisted from Cooper a soft R?
Looking at prior years threads, people were offered admission from their waitlists.

Priority WL, does anyone know how movement looks off of this / when? After my interview day this is definitely my top choice.

Priority WL, does anyone know how movement looks off of this / when? After my interview day this is definitely my top choice.
Hey dude! I have read the chances of getting in through the priority waitlist are pretty good through a past post. The wording on the posts has ranged from "everyone in the priority waitlist gets an acceptance" to "you have a really really good shot"

Historically they offer acceptances to high priority WL! Movement starts right after April 30, so first week of May or so. What is your LM?

I am seeing a lot of HPWL this year, wondering if Regular WL will have a chance?! My dear best friend is so lost now waiting to hear a decision.

68 but IS and I like to think I'm a strong mission fit.
Keeping fingers crossed for you! HPWL has a very good chance! I am just wondering if people on a WL are assigned a number, do they go by the interview date? What’s the selection criteria from their WLs?