2021-2022 SUNY, Downstate (Brooklyn)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How casual are the virtual chat sessions? I would like to attend the one for next week but I couldn't get off work so I would be wearing scrubs + mask. I am unsure if we are expected to wear suits and if I would be better off attending the session in March? This is a top school for me so I am worried about delaying the session.

Can anyone provide input? Thank you!
It is pretty casual. They will send you an email with a link to the virtual chat session. On it, it will specifically say that the event is casual and to feel free to dress casually.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On their website it says mid-february... Also according to past year threads it seems like people who interviewed in January or after were waitlisted and only heard back in May 🙁
 
On their website it says mid-february... Also according to past year threads it seems like people who interviewed in January or after were waitlisted and only heard back in May 🙁
Waitlisted??? And they emailed us telling us they haven't filled their class...
 
hmm I interviewed in Oct and remember them saying they'd release decisions mid Feb but it's possible they changed their minds - can anyone who recently interviewed chime in on this?
 
hmm I interviewed in Oct and remember them saying they'd release decisions mid Feb but it's possible they changed their minds - can anyone who recently interviewed chime in on this?
on MSAR it says first decisions come out Feb 15 2022. I think mid Feb is our best bet based on last year and what we've been told thus far
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an II just now, complete in July and IS. Still like 5 options in the scheduling portal for interviews in Feb
Wait I got an interview invite 6 days ago and the only date available was March 7th. I signed up for it because it was literally the only one but now I'm thinking maybe there was some tech issues when I signed up 😭
 
I applied MD/MPH and have been a hopeful since 9/17. I really do want to go to Downstate. About to send an update with a new volunteer activity I started in October, but need to check if they accept updates. Anyone else hopeful for a II?
 
I applied MD/MPH and have been a hopeful since 9/17. I really do want to go to Downstate. About to send an update with a new volunteer activity I started in October, but need to check if they accept updates. Anyone else hopeful for a II?
Just checked. They don't want additional information unless requested.
 
I applied MD/MPH and have been a hopeful since 9/17. I really do want to go to Downstate. About to send an update with a new volunteer activity I started in October, but need to check if they accept updates. Anyone else hopeful for a II?
+1 MD/MPH applicant here hopeful since 9/16. So similar lol
 
I applied MD/MPH and have been a hopeful since 9/17. I really do want to go to Downstate. About to send an update with a new volunteer activity I started in October, but need to check if they accept updates. Anyone else hopeful for a II?
I emailed them in January to see if they accept updates and they said yes. They told me to either email them the directly with the updates or upload to your portal under continued interest.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, what does it mean "Pre-II hold" in your signature?
Some schools put you on hold before inviting you for an interview or rejecting you. It means they've reviewed your application but haven't made a decision about what to do so you get put on hold. Penn state, SUNY Upstate, Tulane, GW, NYMC are some of the schools I've heard put applicants on hold.
 
the admissions director in student informationals sure made it seem like January interviewees and later are all getting waitlisted in April just like last year. he contradicted himself when he said “Acceptances are rolling after February but late March the class is stable”
what??? so basically theyre just gonna accept a few extra kids if their accepted students decline their seats lol
they just interviewing January-April basically to fill up their WL spots smh
 
Thanks! How did the interview go? Did it go the full hour
Interview was great but I think I got fairly lucky with my interviewer. It was very conversational with a few specific questions that had to be asked per the person who reviewed my application.
 
Are they done sending out II?
Don't think so, since some of us received a "confirmation of interview interest" email the other week and it doesn't seem like they've issued any of us an II. That being said, they'll start sending out decisions next week so we'll know soon enough where we stand!
 
Don't think so, since some of us received a "confirmation of interview interest" email the other week and it doesn't seem like they've issued any of us an II. That being said, they'll start sending out decisions next week so we'll know soon enough where we stand!
sorry what is the "confirmation of interview interest" email?
 
sorry what is the "confirmation of interview interest" email?
yeah so basically last week, some of us got an email that read that SUNY Downstate has yet to go through all the applications and fill the class, and asked us to withdraw if we had other plans. The email subject line had to do with confirming interest in interview. Not all of us that haven't heard back received it. Actually, some IIs went out soon after and those people did not get this email. Regardless, it makes me think IIs will still go out, at least a couple more waves. Or else why would they ask us to to confirm interest by not withdrawing?
 
yeah so basically last week, some of us got an email that read that SUNY Downstate has yet to go through all the applications and fill the class, and asked us to withdraw if we had other plans. The email subject line had to do with confirming interest in interview. Not all of us that haven't heard back received it. Actually, some IIs went out soon after and those people did not get this email. Regardless, it makes me think IIs will still go out, at least a couple more waves. Or else why would they ask us to to confirm interest by not withdrawing?

ohh really interesting okay thank you so much for the detailed response. hoping for some good news soon!
 
For the people who already interviewed especially, when you click the withdraw application, it brings you to a screen asking you if you want to withdraw your app.

Does the screen look exactly like this (my portal) or is it slightly different? Previously, the button indicates if you wish to withdraw your app from further consideration instead of relinquish place in the school's entering class, but it seems to have changed for me.

1644344758795.png
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Beatles08 @NachmoCheese @cobramaster90 @morve @doggod @JoyFairy @Computing @Requireduser88 @kimwipes only @golden_dreamer @withaks @scerevisiae @Tddybr20 @HatefulGrape @pintobeana @whataweirdo @capybarANON @joeray18 @WSTQueen @harrim30 @CerebellumJuice @mdchaser @kitkat01v @Icecream11 @zbdadazb @cyclistturneddoc @applicant117 @yuhh

Do any of you have the following screen when clicking the withdraw application? Not sure if this is a hint if I've been accepted or not. Interviewed end of Sept/early Oct.
1644350528263.png
 
@pre-doo-med did you interview? If so, when?

And yes, it did look different pre-interview vs post-interview, but I did interview a long while back in September, so a lot could have changed from then until now.
@Beatles08 @NachmoCheese @cobramaster90 @morve @doggod @JoyFairy @Computing @Requireduser88 @kimwipes only @golden_dreamer @withaks @scerevisiae @Tddybr20 @HatefulGrape @pintobeana @whataweirdo @capybarANON @joeray18 @WSTQueen @harrim30 @CerebellumJuice @mdchaser @kitkat01v @Icecream11 @zbdadazb @cyclistturneddoc @applicant117 @yuhh

Do any of you have the following screen when clicking the withdraw application? Not sure if this is a hint if I've been accepted or not. Interviewed end of Sept/early Oct.View attachment 349843
I mean it does say 2020... so idk how reliable of a giveaway that is
 
@Beatles08 @NachmoCheese @cobramaster90 @morve @doggod @JoyFairy @Computing @Requireduser88 @kimwipes only @golden_dreamer @withaks @scerevisiae @Tddybr20 @HatefulGrape @pintobeana @whataweirdo @capybarANON @joeray18 @WSTQueen @harrim30 @CerebellumJuice @mdchaser @kitkat01v @Icecream11 @zbdadazb @cyclistturneddoc @applicant117 @yuhh

Do any of you have the following screen when clicking the withdraw application? Not sure if this is a hint if I've been accepted or not. Interviewed end of Sept/early Oct.View attachment 349843
Says the same for me but I never clicked on the withdraw button in the past so idk what it said before. Also end of sept interviewee.