2021-2022 SUNY Upstate

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed the same day and it says the same for me.
The waiting is killing me. I dreamt that I received the decision but couldnt open the email 🙃🙃
Yeah they told us between the 10th and the 17th, but I expected some delay. If we don't hear back this week, it's doubtful we will hear before December because most adcoms have a bit of a break for thanksgiving I would imagine. Just gotta stay patient, I think there are still some 9/29 interviewers that haven't heard back yet either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am really curious to this!
Hey congrats again! I just wanted to ask how you got an II after being placed on hold if in the email they said they dont' review apps until after december 1st? Either way, congrats!
Sorry for the delay! I am not sure what prompted them to pull me off of the Post-Dec 1 hold. I hadn't reached out to them at all after receiving my hold - they moved me all on their own!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If there are any current students watching the thread, I have a question about the on-campus housing option. On the website, it lists these as the options with their associated cost:

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 10.15.43 AM.png


The only problem is, I don't know if these rates are per person or spread out among the inhabitants. For ex: is the 4 bed $5200 per person per semester, or is it $5200 per room per semester? The first distribution seems fairly on point with their COL calculations but the second option is way better and, to me, the way the info is presented makes it seem like the listed price is the total for the apartment, not the per-person cost.

(also, do you like living in geneva and why plz and ty)
 
If there are any current students watching the thread, I have a question about the on-campus housing option. On the website, it lists these as the options with their associated cost:

View attachment 346347

The only problem is, I don't know if these rates are per person or spread out among the inhabitants. For ex: is the 4 bed $5200 per person per semester, or is it $5200 per room per semester? The first distribution seems fairly on point with their COL calculations but the second option is way better and, to me, the way the info is presented makes it seem like the listed price is the total for the apartment, not the per-person cost.

(also, do you like living in geneva and why plz and ty)
It is very obviously per person, or, more accurately, per bedroom. A 2 bedroom or 4 bedroom apartment would never cost less than a one bedroom unit! 🙂 Not sure why the 4 bedroom costs more than the 2 bedroom. Probably because it will have larger common areas and/or maybe extra bathrooms.

But, yeah, there is no way you could get a 2 or 4 bedroom apartment, all to yourself, for less than an apartment with a single bedroom, and then bring the cost down to next to nothing with roommates! There is really nothing at all confusing about this. The prices they are quoting are the prices you will pay. In a one bedroom, you will be by yourself. That's why it's the most expensive. You'll have one roommate in the 2 bedroom, and 3 roommates in the 4 bedroom. You will all be billed separately by the university, and will only be responsible for your charges.

I'm not a student at SUNY, but this is exactly the way it worked with on campus housing at my UG.
 
Last edited:
It is very obviously per person, or, more accurately, per bedroom. A 2 bedroom or 4 bedroom apartment would never cost less than a one bedroom unit! 🙂 Not sure why the 4 bedroom costs more than the 2 bedroom. Probably because it will have larger common areas and/or maybe extra bathrooms.

But, yeah, there is no way you could get a 2 or 4 bedroom apartment, all to yourself, for less than an apartment with a single bedroom, and then bring the cost down to next to nothing with roommates! There is really nothing at all confusing about this. The prices they are quoting are the prices you will pay. In a one bedroom, you will be by yourself. That's why it's the most expensive. You'll have one roommate in the 2 bedroom, and 3 roommates in the 4 bedroom. You will all be billed separately by the university, and will only be responsible for your charges.

I'm not a student at SUNY, but this is exactly the way it worked with on campus housing at my UG.

You probably shouldn't have responded considering I was asking current students for their input. That alone isn't a huge deal. You definitely shouldn't have responded with language like "it's very obviously..." and "There is really nothing at all confusing about this"; a bit condescending coming from someone who doesn't know the answer any more than me, in my opintion.

For all I know, the university could really care about the financial health of their students and therefore offer very cheap housing. Is it a long shot that a 4 BR suite would be ~$300/person per month? Ya, absolutely, that would be INSANE. Am I holding out hope that it is a possibility? You betcha! Plan for the pessimistic outcome but root for the optimistic outcome.
 
Yesterday, December 2nd, I received an email stating my app was put on hold. My portals status says hold for re-review after December 1st. I'm feeling this is a soft R at this point.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad