2021-2022 Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, just to be clear, no one has received a secondary yet? Or have some people received them?
Pretty sure nobody received it, but some of us have access to it through the portal I guess? The questions are the same as they were last year, but the "current plans" question is updated to 2021-22

Based on last year's thread we'll start getting it this week hopefully

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Temple M4 here....feel free to ask questions. Here are some FAQs I've gotten over the years:

1. Are preclinical classes truly P/F?
- Classes are pass fail but there are internal rankings. Not sure what else they use them since not even AOA is determined from preclinicals. On your deans letter for residency application, they don't say your class rank but they do use some kind of vague descriptor words that represent like "top 25%" or "middle 25%". I'm not sure if programs know what the words actually represent but, regardless, the way that Temple does P/F makes school a lot less stressful. For M3/M4, we work on the F/P/HP/Honors system. HP is pretty standard for everyone to get. Above and beyond gets honors, and to get a pass you kind of have to do something that pissed someone off.

2. What does Temple look for in an applicant?
- Temple cares about students who want to serve the underserved, volunteer their time to help people, acknowledge that inequities exist and want to do something about it. These are things that are emphasized thoroughout the curriculum. They evaluate students very holistically.....grades matter of course but if you app shows your dedicated to helping others it will go a long way. I do not suggest reaching out to admissions as I don't think it will help.

3. Research opportunities at Temple?
- Although research isn't super emphasized, there are endless research possibilities. Literally anyone in my class could reach out to any of the research departments and get involved from M1 if the wanted. I'm not personally a big research person but, I have friends who are going into fields like optho, neurosurgery, urology who got into research very early on and had no problem finding it. The main building of Temple (MERB) is 11 floors high and like 8 of those floors are dedicated to research.

4. Campuses
- Temple has 2 curriculum campuses...one at the medical education and research building (MERB) across from Temple hospital in Philly and the other located in Bethlehem PA. When choosing which program is good for you, you need to assess what you find important to you. My opinion, if community service is something youre really interested in, no question that the Philly campus is where you want to be. I don't know much about the opportunities in Bethlehem but, I know it's not Philly so there can't possibly be as many opportunities. In philly, you can literally do whatever community service your heart desires. Its really great. Other differences between the St. Lukes program in Bethlehem and the main campus in philly is the size of the program. St. Lukes is only 30 students and students do rotations at the same hospital for 3rd and 4th year. At the main campus, students travel all over (mostly Philly area) for 3rd an 4th. Finding a St. Lukes student is probably best to get more info.

5. Are there clubs/opportunities to get involved in leadership?
- SO many clubs, for every specialty, even fun non medical related things. If you have an idea for a club that doesnt exist yet, you can start it very easily.

6. Do I need a car?
- M1/M2 you do not need a car since everything is on the main campus. M3, my friends without cars struggled if they had an away rotation without housing very close to the site. Plan accordingly. This is not a surprise so if you get an away or two and need a car, budget for a rental or set up plans to borrow someones car. I don't understand how my classmates would get mad at admin for not accommodating them...they knew a car might be necessary!

Hope this helps everyone, good luck with the cycle. Feel free to PM with any specific questions. Curriculum I don't know much about since they changed it since I was in M1/M2 but I'm sure someone in the classes below me will be on the site at some point. All I know is that they switched from a 2 pass system (system physiology year 1, system pathology year 2) to a 1 pass system (entire system both physiology and pathology in one long block)
Do you know how we can find more info on the two campuses? I can't find much on the website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how we can find more info on the two campuses? I can't find much on the website.
Yeah this is a problem applicants have each year. The difference with St. Lukes is the location, smaller program (interact with many of the same docs over the 4 years and they get to know you really well), all rotations are done at St. Lukes. Philly has more opportunities for working with the community, getting involved in community work, has more research opportunities, and also all the fun things that city life has to offer (good food, lots of people around, lots of things to do). I literally wrote about a large variety of food in Philly as one of my reasons. That's pretty much the gist of it. The size is the biggest thing. I'm not sure if its changed but the size was like 30 students at st lukes vs 200 at temple main.

Something else that comes up each year...people sometimes refer to St. Lukes in their secondary as "rural medicine." This is a mistake because bethlehem is by no means rural. It's just a smaller city....more suburban. So don't refer to it as rural cause it's really not

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how they take the Casper exam into consideration when reviewing applications? Like is there a certain percentile cutoff you need to hit or anything like that?

I just tried again and got in, so I guess I have the secondary? Were you able to successfully submit yours?
I didn't try to submit because I didn't want to risk it getting lost, will be submitting as soon as i get the actual invite

Anyone know how they take the Casper exam into consideration when reviewing applications? Like is there a certain percentile cutoff you need to hit or anything like that?
No one knows, anywhere. This is the great mystery of CASPer. You don't even know your own percentile -- you only receive a quartile! :)

There is no sense worrying about it. It's a metric schools use to try to increase their diversity because it's a non-cognitive measure of something that Altus has shown schools correlates to something important. Different schools use it in different ways and, as you know, many don't use it at all. If schools are going to be opaque as to how they use MCAT and GPA, what kind of transparency are you really expecting here?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them and they said the invites would be sent out "shortly" lmao

Reactions: 5 users
...and also all the fun things that city life has to offer (good food, lots of people around, lots of things to do). I literally wrote about a large variety of food in Philly as one of my reasons. That's pretty much the gist of it. The size is the biggest thing. I'm not sure if its changed but the size was like 30 students at st lukes vs 200 at temple main.
Slight counterpoint, like 3 people got murdered outside my apartment (3 blocks from MERB) my first year, 6 cops were shot a couple of streets behind the school and the whole place put on lockdown during our second or 3rd week of anatomy, and I know at least a couple of people who were assaulted on their way from the subway to MERB. Despite my love for a good slice or some authentic soup dumplings, every time my phone pings at 2am with a TUalert about a shooting, assault, or armed robbery, I thank god I got TF out of Philly alive.

As far as the St. Luke's campus goes I think they're up to 40 students for their incoming classes. I'm not 100% (as most don't exercise the option) but I think it's possible for the Saunders kids to do 3rd year core rotations at Temple main (Temple students definitely can/do rotate at St Luke's).

versus Temple main some opportunities won't fall into your lap as readily, but there's plenty of opportunity to do research (and less gunners competing for them) and St Luke's admin will go to the mat to help you get what you want out of your time there if there's not something already in existence.

Different horses for different courses, but I don't think choosing St Luke's over Temple main will significantly limit your ability to do extra curriculars or competitiveness in the match.

So, just to be clear, no one has received a secondary yet? Or have some people received them?
I'm in-state, was verified first day, and still haven't received secondary. Don't think anyone has received them yet

Reactions: 1 user
Slight counterpoint, like 3 people got murdered outside my apartment (3 blocks from MERB) my first year, 6 cops were shot a couple of streets behind the school and the whole place put on lockdown during our second or 3rd week of anatomy, and I know at least a couple of people who were assaulted on their way from the subway to MERB. Despite my love for a good slice or some authentic soup dumplings, every time my phone pings at 2am with a TUalert about a shooting, assault, or armed robbery, I thank god I got TF out of Philly alive.

As far as the St. Luke's campus goes I think they're up to 40 students for their incoming classes. I'm not 100% (as most don't exercise the option) but I think it's possible for the Saunders kids to do 3rd year core rotations at Temple main (Temple students definitely can/do rotate at St Luke's).

versus Temple main some opportunities won't fall into your lap as readily, but there's plenty of opportunity to do research (and less gunners competing for them) and St Luke's admin will go to the mat to help you get what you want out of your time there if there's not something already in existence.

Different horses for different courses, but I don't think choosing St Luke's over Temple main will significantly limit your ability to do extra curriculars or competitiveness in the match.
Does this mean St. Lukes is harder to get into since it's a smaller class?

Does this mean St. Lukes is harder to get into since it's a smaller class?
It's a good question, and I'd have to say yes...but.

Going purely by numbers Temple main at ~180 and St Luke's at (now) ~40 makes St Luke's more competitive. I didn't realize at the time of applying, but stating a preference for one campus over the other essentially takes you out of the running for the other campus, and you either get an II at one or the other, but not both. So if you want to play the numbers, Temple main campus is the better option.

That being said, St Luke's is smaller and (although the word is heavily abused) more holistic in their process. They're looking for a specific kind of student and if your application and narrative fit with their mission and culture then that will likely increase your chances of a II and ultimately the A even if you're a less competitive applicant from a purely stats standpoint

A huge plus for the St Luke's program is that their students get a $10K/yr scholarship, with an additional $5K interest free loan given for MS2.

Nothing yet, IS. Anyone else?

My CASPER and Duet haven't been received by Temple yet. Is that the case for everyone else too?

Can someone post the secondary essay prompts?

@wysdoc

All prompts 2,000 characters including spaces
  1. What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?
  2. How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community? LKSOM seeks an engaged student body with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and interests to enhance the medical school experience for everyone. Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community.
    LKSOM seeks an engaged student body with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and interests to enhance the medical school experience for everyone. Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community.
  3. Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected.
  4. What are your plans for the current year - June 2021 until June 2022?
  5. The Coronavirus pandemic has affected all of us.*Please use this space to describe to us how you were impacted academically, personally or professionally by COVID-19.
    Please use this space to describe to us how you were impacted academically, personally or professionally by COVID-19.

@wysdoc

All prompts 2,000 characters including spaces
  1. What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?
  2. How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community? LKSOM seeks an engaged student body with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and interests to enhance the medical school experience for everyone. Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community.
    LKSOM seeks an engaged student body with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and interests to enhance the medical school experience for everyone. Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community.
  3. Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected.
  4. What are your plans for the current year - June 2021 until June 2022?
  5. The Coronavirus pandemic has affected all of us.*Please use this space to describe to us how you were impacted academically, personally or professionally by COVID-19.
    Please use this space to describe to us how you were impacted academically, personally or professionally by COVID-19.
what a great username @Lord_Have_MRSA

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
OOS secondary received! Just waiting on Wisconsin then I’ll be done 🥺👉👈

Are people uploading their "OPTIONAL - SAT/ACT screen shots"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI, I'm a re-applicant so I logged into my portal and tried to access the secondary for this year - got an Access Denied message. On the page there was confirmation that they received my primary so I guess they're waiting to release the secondaries.
They just sent me an invite to complete the secondary but I am still getting an access denied message