2021-2022 UC Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this year's essays!

2021-2022 UC Riverside Secondary Essay Prompts: ** they want your secondary submitted within one week of receipt**

1. The mission of the UCR School of Medicine is to improve the health of the people of California and, especially, to serve Inland Southern California by training a diverse workforce of physicians and by developing innovative research and health care delivery programs that will improve the health of the medically underserved in the region and become models to be emulated throughout the state and nation. What experiences, skills, and abilities will you bring to the class to fulfill this mission? (250 words)

2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting. (250 words)

3. In what type of healthcare setting do you see yourself practicing medicine? (250 words)

4. Tell us about a personal challenge you have faced in your life thus far and how you demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome it. [Please do not write about studying for or taking the MCAT.] (250 words)

5. (Optional) If there is anything you would like the committee to consider about your candidacy that is not explained elsewhere in your application, please use this space to tell us. (250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind posting the prompts? Is it the same as last year?
Not sure what it was last year .. I’m a first time applicant

1. The mission of the UCR School of Medicine is to improve the health of the people of California and, especially, to serve Inland Southern California by training a diverse workforce of physicians and by developing innovative research and health care delivery programs that will improve the health of the medically underserved in the region and become models to be emulated throughout the state and nation. What experiences, skills, and abilities will you bring to the class to fulfill this mission? (250 words)

2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting. (250 words)

3. In what type of healthcare setting do you see yourself practicing medicine? (250 words)

4. Tell us about a personal challenge you have faced in your life thus far and how you demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome it. [Please do not write about studying for or taking the MCAT.] (250 words)

5. (Optional) If there is anything you would like the committee to consider about your candidacy that is not explained elsewhere in your application, please use this space to tell us. (250 words)

@wysdoc

Awesome thank you! It looks like it is the same from last year. I'm a first time applicant as well, but I just reference last year's thread to pre-write some of my secondaries and hope they don't change, haha.

Thank you for sharing this year's essays!

2021-2022 UC Riverside Secondary Essay Prompts:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Does my answer to the second prompt have to be from a clinical experience? Last year's prompt was just "describe how you demonstrated these values".

Does my answer to the second prompt have to be from a clinical experience? Last year's prompt was just "describe how you demonstrated these values".
this year's wording: "tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting." seems to give you a choice of your story.

Reactions: 1 users
IS hasn't receive secondary, primary app verified in early June, should I email school?

Reactions: 1 user
IS hasn't receive secondary, primary app verified in early June, should I email school?
Riverside resident my entire life and I havent gotten anything yet. Based on previous years, they take their sweet time sending out. I would not email.

Reactions: 3 users
Riverside resident my entire life and I havent gotten anything yet. Based on previous years, they take their sweet time sending out. I would not email.
Also live in the area but have received nothing. Friend received a secondary with no MCAT yet and lives in OC. I has confusion.

To assure others, I am in the IE verified late June and still have not received secondary either

Members don't see this ad :)
In-state applicant, verified at earliest possible date. Still haven't received secondary yet. Hopefully, this is normal.

In state applicant here too. Verified very early and no secondary received ):

IE native and still have not received a secondary either ): sad times

Phew! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that has not gotten a secondary.
😅

Hm, looking at a thread from last year, it seems that UC R started sending secondaries in September.

Last edited:
psa y'all the secondary deadline is ONE week, I almost missed that

Reactions: 4 users
Secondary Received today! OOS applicant, verified prior to June 25th :)

IS Secondary received today :)

For the Premed Course Inventory,
A. Are we suppose to put the course number or course name or both?
B. Are we suppose to add in all courses for the prerequisites? (Ex: Adding in all the biology courses even though you have taken more than 12 semester units worth)

also received the secondary today as well! IS, UCR alum, and riverside county born and raised.

A. abbreviation & number (BIO 301) but leave off the words describing it "General freshman Biology for Newbies"
B. Put as many as space allows
For part A, they say in the FAQ section "Please list the course name as it appears on your verified AMCAS transcript. You do not need to include the course number."

I assume that means we list the name, not CHEM 1 or whatever.

Reactions: 2 users
received secondary, IS, UCR Alumn

IS Secondary received today :)

For the Premed Course Inventory,
A. Are we suppose to put the course number or course name or both?
B. Are we suppose to add in all courses for the prerequisites? (Ex: Adding in all the biology courses even though you have taken more than 12 semester units worth)
FAQ on the secondary says
A. Course as the name is listed on the AMCAS application, not course number
B. Only required to add the bare minimum semester hours for each section. Ex: add whichever biology classes you want to add for the 8 hr semester minimum

IS have not received secondary yet but friend has? Anyone else in the same boat?

B. Only required to add the bare minimum semester hours for each section. Ex: add whichever biology classes you want to add for the 8 hr semester minimum
Thanks yall! :)

+1 IS, OC res. secondary received today, primary also verified today (finally omfg).

OOS with extremely strong ties to SoCal, secondary received yesterday night

Anyone know how to list grades for the secondary? My school didn't have a +/- system, so an A = 4.0. But I think UCR weighs it differently, so A+=4.0 but an A is lower, and so my GPA calculations would be lower for them than it actually is.

Anyone know how to list grades for the secondary? My school didn't have a +/- system, so an A = 4.0. But I think UCR weighs it differently, so A+=4.0 but an A is lower, and so my GPA calculations would be lower for them than it actually is.
I just put what I had on my transcript so like A, just put A. B just put B. etc.

I'm kind of reconsidering submitting a UCR application (I was going to submit for the hell of it because FAP, but just found out they only reduced it to $50 for the fee)...

I've done many community service collaborations with organizations at Riverside when I was in college (but I went to a school in NorCal). My family lives in San Diego, strong ties to LA. Other than that, I have no strong ties to the IE. I do have a primary-care and underserved-focused application and have strong writing skills, and I can see myself in the IE.

I got a secondary, but does that mean anything, and are they just looking for a donation? Not sure if writing a convincing secondary committing to IE would be enough, and I'd like to save $50 if it's not worth it.

Secondary received and submitted two day ago! Fingers crossed, this is my top choice! I'm IS, grew up in Riverside.

• Care
Although we are only required to put the bare minimum # of courses, can we put extra courses (ex. for the Humanities section)?

I have some future coursework for the required courses. Do I enter them (even though the courses were not in AMCAS) or request waivers?

On FAQ, it says, "All AP and IB credit must be posted on your official transcript" but does this mean the transcript has to say the specific test (ex. AP Spanish - 5) or can I sitll list Spanish if my official transcript only shows the total AP credits I achieved?

In what type of healthcare setting do you see yourself practicing medicine?
For this question are they asking if we want to practice in a private clinic vs hospital?

In what type of healthcare setting do you see yourself practicing medicine?
For this question are they asking if we want to practice in a private clinic vs hospital?
That's how I interpreted it, but I'd also include whether you want to practice in an urban or rural setting and relate it to your experiences.