2021-2022 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m not even AMCAS verified yet for my MSTP application but UTSW sent me a secondary (somehow???) MSTP specific prompts are

@wysdoc
All 500 characters
1. Describe the type of research you are currently most interested in pursuing for your PhD training. You can be general or specific (e.g., genetics, biochemistry, Alzheimer’s disease, rational drug design, etc.)
2. If you wish, please describe major hardships or adversity you have overcome to reach this point in your life (if none, please state “none”).
3. List names of up to five UT Southwestern faculty whose research is of particular interest to you (refer to www.utsouthwestern.edu/labs for more information).
4. Why are you interested in MD/PhD training at UT Southwestern in particular?
Thanks @baz2020
Here you go, @rrahman1

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question about the second prompt.

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. Consider the following in your response: What did you do? What made the situation difficult for you personally? Describe your reaction and what you might do differently now in retrospect.

Is the second part of the prompt referencing you witnessing someone experiencing harassment or discrimination. Or you having experienced harassment or discrimination.

Sorry, this prompt feels like CARS 2.0. Thanks in advance.

I have a question about the second prompt.

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. Consider the following in your response: What did you do? What made the situation difficult for you personally? Describe your reaction and what you might do differently now in retrospect.

Is the second part of the prompt referencing you witnessing someone experiencing harassment or discrimination. Or you having experienced harassment or discrimination.

Sorry, this prompt feels like CARS 2.0. Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure it's referring to us having experienced harassment or discrimination personally

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about this md/phd prompt

2. If you wish, please describe major hardships or adversity you have overcome to reach this point in your life (if none, please state “none”).

I might be misinterpreting but this doesn't seem like a "discuss a time you've faced adversity" this is what circumstances affected your path to medicine correct? I know its gonna sound like I'm beating a dead horse on this topic, but I don't think any of the adversity I've faced has impacted my path to medicine. Less "extreme" adversity has definitely occurred and that what I've seen asked for on other secondaries, but this seems more like a disadvantaged type essay?

Would it be bad to leave this as none? Am I correct in thinking this?

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question about this md/phd prompt

I might be misinterpreting but this doesn't seem like a "discuss a time you've faced adversity" this is what circumstances affected your path to medicine correct? I know its gonna sound like I'm beating a dead horse on this topic, but I don't think any of the adversity I've faced has impacted my path to medicine. Less "extreme" adversity has definitely occurred and that what I've seen asked for on other secondaries, but this seems more like a disadvantaged type essay?

Would it be bad to leave this as none? Am I correct in thinking this?
I agree

Quick question about prompt #5 (explain academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know) - can I take this as an adversity/hardship essay?

For prompt #2, I am a bit confused on the wording of the question. Can the harassment/discrimination be something we experienced or does it have to be witnessed?

I think you can make it clear in the context of your answer.
@wysdoc sorry I think I wrote my questions poorly. I meant to ask if it is ok to talk about an experienced behavior of discrimination personally, or when you witnessed someone else involved in harassment or discrimination, and what you did to advocate for them?

@wysdoc sorry I think I wrote my questions poorly. I meant to ask if it is ok to talk about an experienced behavior of discrimination personally, or when you witnessed someone else involved in harassment or discrimination, and what you did to advocate for them?
I may be trying to be too nitpicky with my reading of this prompt. They used the exact same wording last year too.

I would interpret it as: choose 1 to discuss:
you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly
-or-
an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination.

I suppose if you witnessed someone else being harassed and you felt by seeing it, you "experienced it" too, you could interpret it that way.

Is this prompt meant to be inclusive, or is it secretly like a CARS passage and you have to read it correctly? Sort of joking, because I don't truly know.
As in most of these secondaries, answer them honestly and sincerely and you will likely be giving them what is wanted.

For the witnessing an unethical situation prompt, would it be looked upon poorly if I didn't do anything in that situation, but reflected on it/felt bad?

Is there a secondary fee? When I submitted the secondary I was not prompted to pay a fee, unlike the other TMDSAS schools I have submitted to so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
5. Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (Optional)
2500 Characters
Is this possible COVID essay? Or is it only asking about bad grades etc

Is this possible COVID essay? Or is it only asking about bad grades etc
This would generally be where you explain an unusually low-grade semester if there were external pressures or circumstances responsible for it.
If COVID situation somehow caused you similar academic trouble, you could explain here.

For the prompt "5. Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (Optional)" can I refer to an extenuating circumstance that was not academic in nature? I wanted to talk about a family situation that has caused financial issues in my life. It is unclear if the adjective "academic" refers to both discrepancies AND extenuating circumstances.

For the prompt "5. Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (Optional)" can I refer to an extenuating circumstance that was not academic in nature? I wanted to talk about a family situation that has caused financial issues in my life. It is unclear if the adjective "academic" refers to both discrepancies AND extenuating circumstances.
Depends on why you want to discuss this if there are no issues with your academics due to the financial constraints.

OOS II Received! Application Completed 6/29

LM 81.7

• Love
IS II received :) completed 7/14
LM 81.1, WARS 90

IS II received
LM 76.7

Literally hit submit on my secondary yesterday.

Congratulations to all who received IIs.

Does anyone have a GPA lower than 3.7?

For anyone who signed up for an interview date, did y'all receive a confirmation email?

I'm guessing the first batch of II's is for high stats
yeah it's the auto-IIs based on stats, we don't know the exact numbers that trigger it but based on the tracker, it's likely 3.8+ and 518+

Last edited:
in-state applicant, just received an interview invitation!

I'm guessing the first batch of II's is for high stats
This is all group 1 interviews who meet certain stats.

We keep debating whether there are minimum cutoffs for GPA and MCAT that add up to 74 or 75 LizzyM scores for Group 1.

This is all group 1 interviews who meet certain stats.

We keep debating whether there are minimum cutoffs for GPA and MCAT that add up to 74 or 75 LizzyM scores for Group 1.
However there’s a 3.56/514 TX ORM who reported getting UTSW and Baylor (but not McGovern) on the II tracker today, so who knows

edit to clarify: I meant “who knows if it’s just group 1/high stats IIs going out today at Texas schools”

Last edited:
However there’s a 3.56/514 TX ORM who reported getting UTSW and Baylor (but not McGovern) on the II tracker today, so who knows
Since LizzyM isn't necessarily a stat real medical schools calculate, my best guess based on this post ^ means that everyone above a GPA got an invite, and everyone above an MCAT got an invite. I was assuming it was a combo of the two (i.e. 518+ AND 3.7+) but it could be anyone with a 3.7+ GPA OR 513+ MCAT, as long as one or the other doesn't fall out of an acceptable range (i.e. a 528 MCAT and 0.0000001 GPA)

a) nothing wrong with those stats
b) though they probably didn't fit the sky high "stats-based" first interview round
c) could be a JAMP applicant

b) though they probably didn't fit the sky high "stats-based" first interview round
absolutely didn’t mean to imply that anything was wrong with those stats! Heck, they’re relatively close to my own. Was just mentioning that they likely do not fall in the auto-II category, which was why it was surprising to see an II granted so early during what we thought was just group 1 interviews.

I suspect C for an ORM

edit to clarify: I meant “who knows if it’s just group 1/high stats IIs going out today at Texas schools”
where can i find this tracker?

No II yet. LM 76.8, IS. Have interviewed previously, likely am not eligible for a group 1 invitation or whatever for that reason.

No II yet. LM 76.8, IS. Have interviewed previously, likely am not eligible for a group 1 invitation or whatever for that reason.
Reapplicants may be considered differently at different schools. Not sure how UTSW evaluates but A&M is considered very good to reapplicants.

Does anyone know how frequently UTSW (and other Texas schools for that matter) send out II? Is it a weekly or monthly wave? Just curious as to when we can expect the next wave of II. Thanks!

Does anyone know how frequently UTSW (and other Texas schools for that matter) send out II? Is it a weekly or monthly wave? Just curious as to when we can expect the next wave of II. Thanks!
@chemist1999 I kept a tally last year of interview dates for all the schools here: The Republic of Texas XXXIX: Pretty words are not always true, and True words are not always pretty.

And this year I will do the same on the 2nd post of the Republic of Texas XL thread The Republic of Texas XL: If you are riding a high horse, there ain't no way to get down off it gracefully.

Comparing one year to another exactly never works, and just makes everyone more anxious, but seeing a list may give you a general idea.
2021-2022 interview invitations are just getting going the second half of July, and fewer than half the schools have sent any so far.

In-state II Received this morning! Application Completed mid-July.

LM 67 - Thought I had 0 chance at this school.
Not sure if I actually have a shot now, either way I'll give it my best. :)

Last edited:
I submitted on June 29th but haven't gotten an II. I have a 517 and 4.0 with lots of research. Should I be worried that people who were completed around my time have been getting interviews and I haven't? UTSW is basically my first choice so advice would be appreciated!!