You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Virginia
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Update: got the A 🙂Interviewed early Oct, no email :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1037524
Just got the A! Interviewed October 11 🙂
ChemistryisFON
Full Member
Update: Got the A too
mdphd63627
Full Member
Still silent for MSTP applicants; interviewed early September. Was told to expect a call either no matter decision
yup it’s just to hold your position! Also does anyone know if we have to send the docusign documents to their email address, or do they automatically get it when you sign it?Got the A! Interviewed 10/6, OOS. Just wondering because I'm not too familiar with these things, accepting the offer of acceptance on the portal isn't a commitment to attend the school, right?
I got the A, wish you guys all the bestFingers crossed you get happier news 🤞
yes, it's just to hold your position! also, does anyone know if we need to send the docusign documents to their email address, or do they automatically get it when you sign it?Got the A! Interviewed 10/6, OOS. Just wondering because I'm not too familiar with these things, accepting the offer of acceptance on the portal isn't a commitment to attend the school, right?
Ahhh congrats!! Time to hang on to this WL spot until the bitter end in the hopes of joining the rest of you.I got the A, wish you guys all the best
D
deleted1119327
Got A a couple of hours ago!
D
deleted1119327
I am only MD.Congrats to everyone!!! Quick Q: all of you are MSTP right? Or MD-only here too?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm actually kind of glad, was scared all the MSTP spots were going like hot cakes!!! Congrats again 🙂I am only MD.
pillowfloat
New Member
It's automatically submitted to them when we sign it. In the meantime, are any of y'all starting the pre-matriculation requirements? It seems to not have been updated since last year within the portal...yes, it's just to hold your position! also, does anyone know if we need to send the docusign documents to their email address, or do they automatically get it when you sign it?
Hm, so while I'm not in admissions, just from looking at my class I'd say a combination of high stats and something that makes them stand out, which could include research but not limited to it. There's a mix of people who are gunning for research heavy specialties and those totally set on primary care. So while they might want reserach experience to get in, I don't think having little interest in academic medicine would hurt you per se. Curriculum-wise there's a small service requirement, whereas there's no research requirement or thesis (although lot of opportunities are there if you're interested), which could be interpreted as revealing what they value too.Hi! Thanks so much for this-- I wonder, what does admissions value (research vs gpa for instance)? I am a slight bit worried because I am also IS and haven't heard anything. Been almost 3 months!! And most in this thread were OOS so that is interesting
Congratulations!! Just wondering if you can share which school is your alma mater? are you IS or OOS? I am anxiously waiting for an II...trying to figure out my chances. Thank you!Just got the A! Super excited. Interviewed 9/8.
Thanks! I am OOS and attended a state school in CA. I am pretty sure they prioritized OOS first this year because every single person from my interview date was OOS.Congratulations!! Just wondering if you can share which school is your alma mater? are you IS or OOS? I am anxiously waiting for an II...trying to figure out my chances. Thank you!
D
deleted1119327
Same here. I interviewed on 9/14 and everyone was OOS.Thanks! I am OOS and attended a state school in CA. I am pretty sure they prioritized OOS first this year because every single person from my interview date was OOS.
Wonder why they're doing this? It's very weird and interesting since it seems IS had priority beforehand. Regardless congrats!Thanks! I am OOS and attended a state school in CA. I am pretty sure they prioritized OOS first this year because every single person from my interview date was OOS.
Thank you for this 🙂 I must ask, are you an MD/PhD student? You mentioned research so I was curious 😀 I love the idea of a service requirement, it seems like a good idea to set aside some time to help the community (that's what you're training to do anyway!!) How much is the service requirement?Hm, so while I'm not in admissions, just from looking at my class I'd say a combination of high stats and something that makes them stand out, which could include research but not limited to it. There's a mix of people who are gunning for research heavy specialties and those totally set on primary care. So while they might want reserach experience to get in, I don't think having little interest in academic medicine would hurt you per se. Curriculum-wise there's a small service requirement, whereas there's no research requirement or thesis (although lot of opportunities are there if you're interested), which could be interpreted as revealing what they value too.
I'm MD only. The requirement isn't major, just 2 hrs/week during first year, but of course you can do more if you want.Thank you for this 🙂 I must ask, are you an MD/PhD student? You mentioned research so I was curious 😀 I love the idea of a service requirement, it seems like a good idea to set aside some time to help the community (that's what you're training to do anyway!!) How much is the service requirement?
cofactorcoenzyme
Full Member
They do accept them via portal upload. FWIW, I submitted one two weeks ago and have not heard anything.I'm just curious if UVA accepts update letters and when would be the best for them. I have started a new job that would help my application, but I don't know if its worth updating now or later.
OOS II for MD program just now! Complete in July
Congratulations for your II !!OOS II for MD program just now! Complete in July
Do you mind sharing whether your alma mater is T20, T40 or lower tier? Thank you so much! I am waiting for my first II and getting anxious! 🙁
Your Alma mater will more than likely do little to influence whether or not you get an II/A.Congratulations for your II !!
Do you mind sharing whether your alma mater is T20, T40 or lower tier? Thank you so much! I am waiting for my first II and getting anxious! 🙁
Last edited:
Thank you! My alma mater was T20. However, I don't think it has too much influence on admissions so don't worry!Congratulations for your II !!
Do you mind sharing whether your alma mater is T20, T40 or lower tier? Thank you so much! I am waiting for my first II and getting anxious! 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1080469
Went to a tiny liberal arts college and received an A last week. I agree that your school is not as important as they make it seem on SDN.Congratulations for your II !!
Do you mind sharing whether your alma mater is T20, T40 or lower tier? Thank you so much! I am waiting for my first II and getting anxious! 🙁
Yeah I went to a Stratford , DeVry for profit type institution for college and I’ve received 2 IIs so far. Not from UVA, but I also haven’t been R’d……..yet lolWent to a tiny liberal arts college and received an A last week. I agree that your school is not as important as they make it seem on SDN.
Question to those of you with II’s - are you doing the virtual student host thing? I opted out / never followed up on that and am hoping that doesn’t hurt my chances.
D
deleted1080469
my host specifically said it has no bearing on admissionsQuestion to those of you with II’s - are you doing the virtual student host thing? I opted out / never followed up on that and am hoping that doesn’t hurt my chances.
WorkandPlay
Full Member
II this morning! Complete early September
IS or OOS?II this morning! Complete early September
WorkandPlay
Full Member
OOSIS or OOS?
D
deleted1074206
Congrats y'all!
NormalUsername42
Full Member
I didn’t do any of the optional things and got the A last Friday, so I don’t think they’re unofficially mandatory at all.Question to those of you with II’s - are you doing the virtual student host thing? I opted out / never followed up on that and am hoping that doesn’t hurt my chances.
Yo, a bit of a side note, but your footnote is near identical to my own haha. Just wondering though, why did you only attend 5 of your interviews?I didn’t do any of the optional things and got the A last Friday, so I don’t think they’re unofficially mandatory at all.
Also you got a 4.0 528 from your LM score, which is absolutely insane. Mad props to you.
NormalUsername42
Full Member
Only attended 5 because the other 4 haven’t happened yet! 🙂 UVA made themselves really high on my list though, so I’m extremely happy to have an A here.Yo, a bit of a side note, but your footnote is near identical to my own haha. Just wondering though, why did you only attend 5 of your interviews?
Also you got a 4.0 528 from your LM score, which is absolutely insane. Mad props to you.
Just received OOS II! Completed secondary 7/24. Thrilled to have an interview here!
Hi, if anyone has a USNWR subscription (like @TheDataKing), could you check UVA's OOS number accepted. I suspect there might be a typo in the spreadsheet, because their OOS accepted is 3.65x higher than their OOS matriculated, which is atypical for most schools, much less one as highly regarded as UVA. The only way I see this being possible is that UVA has an absurdly high GPA and MCAT (3.9+, 520) for a school officially ranked about 30, so perhaps the people they choose to interview are very likely to have other better offers and choose to go to these other schools instead (from my very limited personal experience, all my OOS friends (and me) who got an II at UVA had multiple T15 IIs as well, and likely would not have chosen to attend UVA if accepted to one of the other schools).
Last edited:
D
deleted1119327
I am in an agreement with your speculation. I think that is what is going on. I myself have 6 II from T20 and will probably do what your friends do if I get accepted in one of those...Hi, if anyone has a USNWR subscription (like @TheDataKing), could you check UVA's OOS number accepted. I suspect there might be a typo in the spreadsheet, because their OOS accepted is 3.65x higher than their OOS matriculated, which is atypical for many schools, much less one as highly regarded as UVA. The only way I see this being possible is that UVA has an absurdly high GPA and MCAT (3.9+, 520) for a school officially ranked about 30, so perhaps the people they choose to interview are very likely to have other better offers and choose to go to these other schools instead (from my very limited personal experience, all my OOS friends who got an II at UVA had multiple T15 IIs as well, and likely would not have chosen to attend UVA if accepted to one of the other schools).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Can you share your stats?Just received OOS II! Completed secondary 7/24. Thrilled to have an interview here!
Well, nvm, I did it myself, and turns out it's even better-
for OOS: interviewed: 451 accepted: 353 enrolled: 82 78% acceptance
for IS: interviewed: 133 accepted: 116 enrolled: 73 87% acceptance
insane
I do wonder why on their official site, though, UVA says they only accept about 300. It's worth noting that this data is from the 2019-2020 cycle, so perhaps they've substantially decreased admissions offers since covid began.
On a side note, I think I'm gonna feel especially bad if I get rejected from UVA because... that means they REALLY didn't like me whereas other schools only take like a third of interviewees to begin with lol.
for OOS: interviewed: 451 accepted: 353 enrolled: 82 78% acceptance
for IS: interviewed: 133 accepted: 116 enrolled: 73 87% acceptance
insane
I do wonder why on their official site, though, UVA says they only accept about 300. It's worth noting that this data is from the 2019-2020 cycle, so perhaps they've substantially decreased admissions offers since covid began.
On a side note, I think I'm gonna feel especially bad if I get rejected from UVA because... that means they REALLY didn't like me whereas other schools only take like a third of interviewees to begin with lol.
Last edited:
aquiestoytratando
Full Member
So we all know by now that UVA is sending IIs to OOS first. The question I now have is WHY
D
deleted1119327
How do you "know" they are doing that?So we all know by now that UVA is sending IIs to OOS first. The question I now have is WHY
Anecdotal reports on SDN are consistent with "knowing" that. 🙂How do you "know" they are doing that?
My guess would be that, since their IS yield is so high, especially when compared to OOS, that they kind of take IS applicants for granted, and that's probably a reasonable position for them to take. As a result, they probably want to get OOS applicants they are interested in excited by showing them some early love.
It's just a guess, but it kind of makes sense when you think about it. IS candidates are not going to lose interest if they receive later IIs, but OOS candidates very well might, especially if they start receiving As from other schools before even hearing from UVA.