2021-2022 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the A! I don't know if I'm misreading it in some way but the email said deferral offer of admission and I thought it was a WL at first but after checking the portal it's an A!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just got the A! Super excited. Interviewed 9/8.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still silent for MSTP applicants; interviewed early September. Was told to expect a call either no matter decision

got the A as well! I am crying so hard and am so grateful rn. OOS and interviewed mid September!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Got the A! Interviewed 10/6, OOS. Just wondering because I'm not too familiar with these things, accepting the offer of acceptance on the portal isn't a commitment to attend the school, right?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Got the A! Interviewed 10/6, OOS. Just wondering because I'm not too familiar with these things, accepting the offer of acceptance on the portal isn't a commitment to attend the school, right?
yup it’s just to hold your position! Also does anyone know if we have to send the docusign documents to their email address, or do they automatically get it when you sign it?

Reactions: 1 user
yes, it's just to hold your position! also, does anyone know if we need to send the docusign documents to their email address, or do they automatically get it when you sign it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone!!! Quick Q: all of you are MSTP right? Or MD-only here too?

yes, it's just to hold your position! also, does anyone know if we need to send the docusign documents to their email address, or do they automatically get it when you sign it?
It's automatically submitted to them when we sign it. In the meantime, are any of y'all starting the pre-matriculation requirements? It seems to not have been updated since last year within the portal...

Hi! Thanks so much for this-- I wonder, what does admissions value (research vs gpa for instance)? I am a slight bit worried because I am also IS and haven't heard anything. Been almost 3 months!! And most in this thread were OOS so that is interesting
Hm, so while I'm not in admissions, just from looking at my class I'd say a combination of high stats and something that makes them stand out, which could include research but not limited to it. There's a mix of people who are gunning for research heavy specialties and those totally set on primary care. So while they might want reserach experience to get in, I don't think having little interest in academic medicine would hurt you per se. Curriculum-wise there's a small service requirement, whereas there's no research requirement or thesis (although lot of opportunities are there if you're interested), which could be interpreted as revealing what they value too.

Just got the A! Super excited. Interviewed 9/8.
Congratulations!! Just wondering if you can share which school is your alma mater? are you IS or OOS? I am anxiously waiting for an II...trying to figure out my chances. Thank you!

Congratulations!! Just wondering if you can share which school is your alma mater? are you IS or OOS? I am anxiously waiting for an II...trying to figure out my chances. Thank you!
Thanks! I am OOS and attended a state school in CA. I am pretty sure they prioritized OOS first this year because every single person from my interview date was OOS.

Thanks! I am OOS and attended a state school in CA. I am pretty sure they prioritized OOS first this year because every single person from my interview date was OOS.
Same here. I interviewed on 9/14 and everyone was OOS.

Wonder why they're doing this? It's very weird and interesting since it seems IS had priority beforehand. Regardless congrats!

Hm, so while I'm not in admissions, just from looking at my class I'd say a combination of high stats and something that makes them stand out, which could include research but not limited to it. There's a mix of people who are gunning for research heavy specialties and those totally set on primary care. So while they might want reserach experience to get in, I don't think having little interest in academic medicine would hurt you per se. Curriculum-wise there's a small service requirement, whereas there's no research requirement or thesis (although lot of opportunities are there if you're interested), which could be interpreted as revealing what they value too.
Thank you for this :) I must ask, are you an MD/PhD student? You mentioned research so I was curious :D I love the idea of a service requirement, it seems like a good idea to set aside some time to help the community (that's what you're training to do anyway!!) How much is the service requirement?

Thank you for this :) I must ask, are you an MD/PhD student? You mentioned research so I was curious :D I love the idea of a service requirement, it seems like a good idea to set aside some time to help the community (that's what you're training to do anyway!!) How much is the service requirement?
I'm MD only. The requirement isn't major, just 2 hrs/week during first year, but of course you can do more if you want.

I'm just curious if UVA accepts update letters and when would be the best for them. I have started a new job that would help my application, but I don't know if its worth updating now or later.

I'm just curious if UVA accepts update letters and when would be the best for them. I have started a new job that would help my application, but I don't know if its worth updating now or later.
They do accept them via portal upload. FWIW, I submitted one two weeks ago and have not heard anything.

OOS II for MD program just now! Complete in July

• Love
OOS II for MD program just now! Complete in July
Congratulations for your II !!
Do you mind sharing whether your alma mater is T20, T40 or lower tier? Thank you so much! I am waiting for my first II and getting anxious! :(

Do you mind sharing whether your alma mater is T20, T40 or lower tier? Thank you so much! I am waiting for my first II and getting anxious! :(
Your Alma mater will more than likely do little to influence whether or not you get an II/A.

Last edited:
Thank you! My alma mater was T20. However, I don't think it has too much influence on admissions so don't worry!

Went to a tiny liberal arts college and received an A last week. I agree that your school is not as important as they make it seem on SDN.

Went to a tiny liberal arts college and received an A last week. I agree that your school is not as important as they make it seem on SDN.
Yeah I went to a Stratford , DeVry for profit type institution for college and I’ve received 2 IIs so far. Not from UVA, but I also haven’t been R’d……..yet lol

Question to those of you with II’s - are you doing the virtual student host thing? I opted out / never followed up on that and am hoping that doesn’t hurt my chances.

Question to those of you with II’s - are you doing the virtual student host thing? I opted out / never followed up on that and am hoping that doesn’t hurt my chances.
my host specifically said it has no bearing on admissions

I didn’t do any of the optional things and got the A last Friday, so I don’t think they’re unofficially mandatory at all.

I didn’t do any of the optional things and got the A last Friday, so I don’t think they’re unofficially mandatory at all.
Yo, a bit of a side note, but your footnote is near identical to my own haha. Just wondering though, why did you only attend 5 of your interviews?
Also you got a 4.0 528 from your LM score, which is absolutely insane. Mad props to you.

Yo, a bit of a side note, but your footnote is near identical to my own haha. Just wondering though, why did you only attend 5 of your interviews?
Also you got a 4.0 528 from your LM score, which is absolutely insane. Mad props to you.
Only attended 5 because the other 4 haven’t happened yet! :) UVA made themselves really high on my list though, so I’m extremely happy to have an A here.

Hey IS people, I finally got an II today so maybe the tide is turning for us :))))) Feelin' the Virginia love!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Just received OOS II! Completed secondary 7/24. Thrilled to have an interview here!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hi, if anyone has a USNWR subscription (like @TheDataKing), could you check UVA's OOS number accepted. I suspect there might be a typo in the spreadsheet, because their OOS accepted is 3.65x higher than their OOS matriculated, which is atypical for most schools, much less one as highly regarded as UVA. The only way I see this being possible is that UVA has an absurdly high GPA and MCAT (3.9+, 520) for a school officially ranked about 30, so perhaps the people they choose to interview are very likely to have other better offers and choose to go to these other schools instead (from my very limited personal experience, all my OOS friends (and me) who got an II at UVA had multiple T15 IIs as well, and likely would not have chosen to attend UVA if accepted to one of the other schools).

Last edited:
Hi, if anyone has a USNWR subscription (like @TheDataKing), could you check UVA's OOS number accepted. I suspect there might be a typo in the spreadsheet, because their OOS accepted is 3.65x higher than their OOS matriculated, which is atypical for many schools, much less one as highly regarded as UVA. The only way I see this being possible is that UVA has an absurdly high GPA and MCAT (3.9+, 520) for a school officially ranked about 30, so perhaps the people they choose to interview are very likely to have other better offers and choose to go to these other schools instead (from my very limited personal experience, all my OOS friends who got an II at UVA had multiple T15 IIs as well, and likely would not have chosen to attend UVA if accepted to one of the other schools).
I am in an agreement with your speculation. I think that is what is going on. I myself have 6 II from T20 and will probably do what your friends do if I get accepted in one of those...

Well, nvm, I did it myself, and turns out it's even better-
for OOS: interviewed: 451 accepted: 353 enrolled: 82 78% acceptance
for IS: interviewed: 133 accepted: 116 enrolled: 73 87% acceptance

insane

I do wonder why on their official site, though, UVA says they only accept about 300. It's worth noting that this data is from the 2019-2020 cycle, so perhaps they've substantially decreased admissions offers since covid began.

On a side note, I think I'm gonna feel especially bad if I get rejected from UVA because... that means they REALLY didn't like me whereas other schools only take like a third of interviewees to begin with lol.

Last edited:
So we all know by now that UVA is sending IIs to OOS first. The question I now have is WHY

How do you "know" they are doing that?
Anecdotal reports on SDN are consistent with "knowing" that. :)

My guess would be that, since their IS yield is so high, especially when compared to OOS, that they kind of take IS applicants for granted, and that's probably a reasonable position for them to take. As a result, they probably want to get OOS applicants they are interested in excited by showing them some early love.

It's just a guess, but it kind of makes sense when you think about it. IS candidates are not going to lose interest if they receive later IIs, but OOS candidates very well might, especially if they start receiving As from other schools before even hearing from UVA.