2021-2022 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
received WL notification just now :/

Interviewed 11/3

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A! 🥳 so exciting. Goodluck if anyone is waiting, the As are coming!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I got the A guys! Interviewed 11/4 OOS. So excited about this one 😭

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Not true, they do offer merit aid (as mentioned in their financial aid seminar), but it’s only in the range of 5-20k
oh ok. I didn't see any mention of it on their site, and my friend who attends there told me there's no merit aid. How do you know this information?

oh ok. I didn't see any mention of it on their site, and my friend who attends there told me there's no merit aid. How do you know this information?
I attended their optional financial aid seminar yesterday and that's what they told us. You can also check he financial aid summary page that they have and you'll notice that merit aid is mentioned as being available.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended their optional financial aid seminar yesterday and that's what they told us. You can also check he financial aid summary page that they have and you'll notice that merit aid is mentioned as being available.

Yup, you're completely right. I guess my friend there wasn't aware of these haha.

Anyone have any idea how long they send their IIs out until?

Reactions: 1 users
II just now! Complete 7/7 so there's definitely still hope for early complete people :) First openings in the beginning of December.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II today! Complete mid-August. Shocked and honored...though nervous about interviews during finals season.

• Love
  • Care
A! IS. Can confirm the crazy fast turnaround time, I interviewed 11/11 and got the admission email 11/12 at 11am.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Definitely! At UVA everyone seemed to assume all of us interviewees were getting in, saying things like "if you choose to come here" or "when you are here". Oddly though I had a similar experience at a school with a lower acceptance rate (~50%) but UVA was much more high key about it. I would say UVA was also one of the friendlier schools I interviewed at !
I have to second this sentiment. I had my interview today, and the tone was very very different than every other med school interview I have ever attended (which is a decently high number). The dean said verbatim "when you are here" and "this is why you should choose us when you're accepted". While I understand medical schools do this as a sales pitch, I've never seen it even close to this extent.

On a side note, I went into interview day thinking of UVA as a backup if I wasn't accepted to T20 schools, but what I learned in interview has really made it much more valuable to me. It's extremely friendly and its curriculum makes life so much easier for medical students. Taking tests whenever you want between Friday and Sunday means you can take more studying time if you need it, or get it done by Friday and get wasted the whole weekend. They don't even make the next week's curriculum available to you until Monday, so you literally can't do academic work to try and "get ahead" for the next week. Pass/fail both pre-and post-clerkship. The only graded component is Clerkships, which are 9 months total in your entire medical education.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Also, does anyone have UVA's match list for 2020? It's the only year I can't find online. It looks like they overwrote it with 2021.

Also, does anyone have UVA's match list for 2020? It's the only year I can't find online. It looks like they overwrote it with 2021.
EDIT: JK; full list is on the bottom of this page, under the 2020 Residency Match tab.
----
Full list is a 404, but 26 matched to UVA.

You can also see the residency types on the dean's blog. Majority IM, with a fair amount of other specialties.

Some of my friends from UVA SOM have matched at Yale and UC Irving IM in addition to UVA.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today! Absolutely love this school, just wish they gave more merit aid. The Honor code seems amazing.
Just a questions: can any of you describe Charlottesville vs Inova/Fairfax?

Accepted today! Absolutely love this school, just wish they gave more merit aid. The Honor code seems amazing.
Just a questions: can any of you describe Charlottesville vs Inova/Fairfax?
Congrats! I was accepted today as well and this is one of my top choices! I live in NoVA, so if you are talking about the general area, I can try to help. Fairfax is very sprawling & suburban, quite a densely packed area and super diverse (>55% non-white population). You need a car and will find yourself driving pretty much everywhere. It is a pretty affluent area and there is a lot to do, but again if you hate driving that's one negative thing about this area. C'ville is a smaller city where things are very walkable/bikable. The culture of the city is pretty progressive and folksy; lots of farmers markets, wineries and orchards, cute shops and awesome food scene. Everything is very UVA-centered since it's a college town, but drive ~10-15 min outside of the city and it begins to feel very rural. The population is noticeably less diverse (~30% non-white).

If you're talking more about UVA hospital vs. Inova Fairfax Hospital, I'm not quite as sure, though I imagine the patient population differs quite a bit due to the catchment area.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! I was accepted today as well and this is one of my top choices! I live in NoVA, so if you are talking about the general area, I can try to help. Fairfax is very sprawling & suburban, quite a densely packed area and super diverse (>55% non-white population). You need a car and will find yourself driving pretty much everywhere. It is a pretty affluent area and there is a lot to do, but again if you hate driving that's one negative thing about this area. C'ville is a smaller city where things are very walkable/bikable. The culture of the city is pretty progressive and folksy; lots of farmers markets, wineries and orchards, cute shops and awesome food scene. Everything is very UVA-centered since it's a college town, but drive ~10-15 min outside of the city and it begins to feel very rural. The population is noticeably less diverse (~30% non-white).

If you're talking more about UVA hospital vs. Inova Fairfax Hospital, I'm not quite as sure, though I imagine the patient population differs quite a bit due to the catchment area.
Thanks so much! I was a little confused by the way UVA described it here: UVA School of Medicine – New Inova Campus in Northern Virginia - News

Fairfax was described as "our students will be exposed to the practice of medicine in a high-volume, urban environment", which made little sense to me because fairfax has 1/4 the population of Charlottesville. Also, could you clarify how fairfax is both "very sprawling" and "very densely packed"? Finally, can anyone compare the quality of the INOVA vs Charlottesville programs, such as clinical opportunities and research opportunities?

Thanks so much! I was a little confused by the way UVA described it here: UVA School of Medicine – New Inova Campus in Northern Virginia - News

Fairfax was described as "our students will be exposed to the practice of medicine in a high-volume, urban environment", which made little sense to me because fairfax has 1/4 the population of Charlottesville. Also, could you clarify how fairfax is both "very sprawling" and "very densely packed"? Finally, can anyone compare the quality of the INOVA vs Charlottesville programs, such as clinical opportunities and research opportunities?
No problem. It's a huge suburb of DC, so it happens to be both sprawling and populous. Fairfax county's population is ~1.1 million, whereas Charlottesville is ~50k according to Google. Or if you prefer to look at Albemarle county as a whole, within which Cville is located, it's ~100k. So there's a pretty big difference!

No problem. It's a huge suburb of DC, so it happens to be both sprawling and populous. Fairfax county's population is ~1.1 million, whereas Charlottesville is ~50k according to Google. Or if you prefer to look at Albemarle county as a whole, within which Cville is located, it's ~100k. So there's a pretty big difference!
Ah, got it! Thanks! I was looking up fairfax population, which just showed the city: fairfax population - Google Search

which was about 25k, haha.

Ah, got it! Thanks! I was looking up fairfax population, which just showed the city: fairfax population - Google Search

which was about 25k, haha.
I live in C’ville. The height limit on non-industrial buildings is 3 floors, so that spreads everything out quite a bit. Most students live within a few minutes of grounds and classes are in buildings surrounding the hospital. Public transportation is not nearly developed as the DC or NoVA areas so a car or zipcar is pretty vital. C’ville gets a lot of patients from southwest VA, WV, and even TN for the specialized clinics. NoVA gets more patients from the DC metro region. C’ville is also within an hour drive of national parks, hiking trails, and a ski resort so there’s plenty of outdoor rec for your M1and 2 breaks. =)

I research at UVA, so I know the research opportunities are awesome. We regularly have med students in the lab over the summer. There’s a lot of (well funded) immunology, neuroscience, bioengineering, infectious diseases, and cardiology research for you to do. Not to mention clinical research. There are specialty clinics like the Hand (ortho) clinic, recurrent C. Difficile, HIV, endoscopy, and the children’s hospital. You’ll have plenty of options during clerkship elections.

Last edited:
Lots of congrats and good luck! I heard that listening to "Country Roads Take Me Home" is a good way to channel that Virginia energy.
that feels more like a West Virginia song ngl

I am a re-applicant for this school. IS. Got an interview last year but was placed on WL that never moved. No II this cycle so far. Anyone is the same boat. Does this school consider IS re-applicant.

• Care
I have to second this sentiment. I had my interview today, and the tone was very very different than every other med school interview I have ever attended (which is a decently high number). The dean said verbatim "when you are here" and "this is why you should choose us when you're accepted". While I understand medical schools do this as a sales pitch, I've never seen it even close to this extent.

On a side note, I went into interview day thinking of UVA as a backup if I wasn't accepted to T20 schools, but what I learned in interview has really made it much more valuable to me. It's extremely friendly and its curriculum makes life so much easier for medical students. Taking tests whenever you want between Friday and Sunday means you can take more studying time if you need it, or get it done by Friday and get wasted the whole weekend. They don't even make the next week's curriculum available to you until Monday, so you literally can't do academic work to try and "get ahead" for the next week. Pass/fail both pre-and post-clerkship. The only graded component is Clerkships, which are 9 months total in your entire medical education.
Wait I'm confused. I thought it was only pre-clinicals that are p/f , but all things clinical are graded. So are you saying only the core rotations are graded and the rest are pass/fail? Can you link where you heard this, so I can get more information?

If it's true then that's so cool!

Wait I'm confused. I thought it was only pre-clinicals that are p/f , but all things clinical are graded. So are you saying only the core rotations are graded and the rest are pass/fail? Can you link where you heard this, so I can get more information?

If it's true then that's so cool!
The only thing graded and used for internal ranking at UVA med is the clerkships, which are 39 weeks total, or just under 10 months. Additionally, there are no percentage reservations for each grade (only 20% of the class can get the highest grade), so theoretically, the whole class can get an A (although obviously this doesn't happen). Many other schools not only use non-clerkship grades for internal ranking, but also have percentage limits for clerkship grades.
Told to me at my interview day and confirmed by two students. Strongly attracts me to UVA.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just got an A! Interviewed yesterday

Edit: IS

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
A received this morning (IS, ORM)! Interviewed on Monday. Feels so good to finally get one after months. Best of luck to everyone this cycle!

• Love
Current M3s and M4s, I have to make a preliminary decision on whether I want to spend years 3 and 4 in Charlottesville or at INOVA. Could anyone speak to the pros and cons of each?

YOU GUYSSS!!!! Omg!!! I received the A this morning! I am so, so happy! Wishing that good news on everyone else!!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users