2021-2022 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
When are we anticipating the next A-wave? Looks like tracker went up by a 100! :O

II today, probably the last II wave? 524 MCAT, 3.76 GPA, OOS and Canadian

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
When are we anticipating the next A-wave? Looks like tracker went up by a 100! :O
Looks like they started accepting people off the waitlist on the second week of February last year, but not much until March. Just for anecdotal evidence.

60% of admissions offers (everywhere) go out after April 1st.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone drop the link for the admissions tracker? I did not know this was something Wayne provided until it was mentioned here.

Can anyone drop the link for the admissions tracker? I did not know this was something Wayne provided until it was mentioned here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone submit secondary in the first week of October either get an II or an R yet?

Hey I'm planning on applying to Wayne State but I haven't taken organic chemistry II. I completed biochemistry last year and I was wondering if Wayne State waives the second semester of orgo (orgo II) with a semester of biochemistry?

I submitted October 31st got II early December

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone, I finished my interviewt today. MMI's we're a little difficult for me but I the rest went well. Overall a laid back experience. I would make sure to know your application.

Hello everyone, I finished my interviewt today. MMI's we're a little difficult for me but I the rest went well. Overall a laid back experience. I would make sure to know your application.
Was the application questions more about clubs and stuff or more academics?

Reactions: 1 user
Does Wayne provide laptops/iPads? Trying to decide if I should plan to upgrade or not lol

Need advice: Central Michigan vs. Wayne State. IS, both are close to family and have comparable tuition.
I am undecided regarding which field.

Pro-CMU - small class size, closer relationship with professors
Con-CMU - newer school in a rural setting.

Pro-Wayne - established program in urban setting
Con-Wayne - large student body, losing clinical sites to other schools, lack of 1 to 1 relationship

Please help !!

Need advice: Central Michigan vs. Wayne State. IS, both are close to family and have comparable tuition.

Con-Wayne - large student body, losing clinical sites to other schools, lack of 1 to 1 relationship

Please help !!
From what you wrote, it seemed like Wayne had more cons that stuck out to you, which are valid concerns. Therefore, I would say CMU is the choice for you. It seems like they are both similar in terms of tuition and proximity to family for you, but CMU has less cons for you. Also, in terms of field to pursue, I think they provide you with similar opportunities so as long as you have the passion and work hard you can pursue whatever you decide on later.

My PI always tells me that the MD is a qualification when it comes to choosing between schools that are similar, so go with whatever school that makes you more happy.

Hope this helps!

You can see their residency match lists online. CMU student’s match is surprisingly good considering it’s a newer med school.

Please help !!
I’d actually recommend Wayne. Deeper pockets, so more opportunity for aid. Campus nearer to more hospitals that are level 1 trauma centers, meaning rotations where you see more. Greater networking abilities due to larger reputation. In a city with lots to do.

Unless you want to do rural medicine, I also think Wayne is the stronger school.

Reactions: 5 users
I applied to 30 school in US, I am American born who live in Canada. My MCAT is 5.14 and my GPA is 4.0. I have extensive research experience with no publication. I wonder what wrong with application. I have no interview. I have 3 rejections so far. The cycle is almost ended soon.

• Care
I applied to 30 school in US, I am American born who live in Canada. My MCAT is 5.14 and my GPA is 4.0. I have extensive research experience with no publication. I wonder what wrong with application. I have no interview. I have 3 rejections so far. The cycle is almost ended soon.
How’s your writing? Did someone look over your application and secondaries? Do you have medical experience? Volunteering experience?

How’s your writing? Did someone look over your application and secondaries? Do you have medical experience? Volunteering experience?
I have worked full time at medical clinic, volunteer 1000 hours or more. The essays I posted online and everyone say it is very good. The secondaries I wrote it myself but I think it is pretty good. Anyhow, I wonder if it related to my geographically from Canada.

I have worked full time at medical clinic, volunteer 1000 hours or more. The essays I posted online and everyone say it is very good. The secondaries I wrote it myself but I think it is pretty good. Anyhow, I wonder if it related to my geographically from Canada.
All of the schools you applied to accept Canadian students? When were you complete?

Only 3 rejections isnt necessarily bad for this far in the cycle. I have 16 rejections and many of those case within 4 weeks of completing my apps.

I admittedly know very little about the obstacles Canadians face in admissions so i cant give any insight into regional bias, but it seems like you have great experience, so I wonder if you may not have done the best job talking about them in the secondaries?

All of the schools you applied to accept Canadian students? When were you complete?

Only 3 rejections isnt necessarily bad for this far in the cycle. I have 16 rejections and many of those case within 4 weeks of completing my apps.

I admittedly know very little about the obstacles Canadians face in admissions so i cant give any insight into regional bias, but it seems like you have great experience, so I wonder if you may not have done the best job talking about them in the secondaries?
I got rejection from UPittt, Mayo, Stanford, Central Michigan , Wright State (Boonshoft), University of Chicago (Pritzker), GW medical school. ( 6) in total and I am dual American and Canadian.

I got rejection from UPittt, Mayo, Stanford, Central Michigan , Wright State (Boonshoft), University of Chicago (Pritzker), GW medical school. ( 6) in total and I am dual American and Canadian.
Surprised at the cycle you’ve had given the information provided, although it’s known that International students have a much steeper climb than domestic applicants.

May I suggest making a post on the re-applicant group, as that will:
A.) allow for more targeted assistance and criticism, especially by those on adcoms or who have had to reapply themselves
B.) readjust the focus of this page to WSUSOM (apologies for the tone).

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
All of these rejections make sense:
1) Pitt, Stanford, Chicago: Very selective schools, even with your stats.
2) CMU, Wright: Tilted bias to Michigan and Ohio RESIDENTS (hence the American citizenship doesn't help).
3) GW: Gets like 10k+ applications every cycle. They have to trim the fat somewhere.

Last edited:

Please help !!
Honestly, relationship to professors (assuming pre-clinical here) is not a factor IMHO. The first year and a half of med school is teaching yourself the material from Uglobe, First Aid, BnB, Pathoma, and Sketchy.

While we are losing a couple of seats at Henry Ford Main (and gained some back in DMC), they're still our 2nd biggest home program and the urban knifes and guns club medicine can't be replicated in some of the rural places CMU sends you. You also won't have access to home-program residencies directly at CMU beyond primary care and gen surg (75% of their graduates match into primary care...so that's something to consider).

Unless CMU has a true pass/fail preclinical curriculum with NBME exams only, my vote is for Wayne (cause holy, in-house professor questions are constantly scrutinized here).

Last edited:
Canadian applicants, how are you financing med school in the states? Are you also filling out FAFSA? Or is there some way to get Canadian student loans to study in USA?

Canadian applicants, how are you financing med school in the states? Are you also filling out FAFSA? Or is there some way to get Canadian student loans to study in USA?
You get federal OSAP and that is all you can get. The rest is private loan with cosign.