2021-2022 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Off topic but I binged all of Black Clover in one week. I absolutely love Julius haha
Try Demon Slayer if you haven't already!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have and I love it!!! My sister and I want to cosplay as Tanjiro and Nezuko one year for a future Halloween
I did it this past Halloween! Ahh, Wayne state are my people. I'll say it again, we are gonna matriculate next year!

Reactions: 1 user
I did it this past Halloween! Ahh, Wayne state are my people. I'll say it again, we are gonna matriculate next year!
Love it! Let's start an anime club next year 😂
I mean it's been crickets for me from Wayne, I got into Toledo lol, but you guys won't be far away! Let's have anime nights when you come to Toledo for your step exams!!!

• Care
completed late September, received II mid October, interviewed late November, alternate listed yesterday.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone receive an interview yesterday who was complete in august. Been complete since mid august haven’t heard.

Yo two questions. Anyone got tips for the interview day? Like good website guides for MMI?

And second question is are alternate and wait list the same? Or are they different?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are sending update letters worth it to send if your on the WL for Wayne or they don’t care about them as much?

Are sending update letters worth it to send if your on the WL for Wayne or they don’t care about them as much?
I even asked admissions this and they just said “if you have more documents you’d like us to review, attach them to your portal” which isn’t helpful. I’ve seen mostly that they don’t care and don’t read them, but like….. I sent one because why not? The worst that can happen is they never read it.

I even asked admissions this and they just said “if you have more documents you’d like us to review, attach them to your portal” which isn’t helpful. I’ve seen mostly that they don’t care and don’t read them, but like….. I sent one because why not? The worst that can happen is they never read it.
So basically what I was told is that they don't review update letters after they've reviewed your application... This information was communicated during the Virtual Medical School Fair – Diversity 2021-09-21.

Take that with a grain of salt of course, but here are my notes from the chat.

Me: Ms. Poort responded earlier that update letters don't have any significant bearing on the committee's decision after reviewing an application - does that mean we should send an update sooner so it gets included in the application?

Ms. Holland: Update letters certainly can be submitted, however, you want to be sure that it's something significant/noteworthy. As with the application typically the sooner the better. Also be mindful that there is a limit to the number of updates you can submit. WSUSOM it's five.

Any current OOS medical student willing to answer a couple of questions regarding moving to/living in MI, etc?

Wayne State is P/F - does it have an internal ranking system?
Yes. Preclinical is top 60/next 20/bottom 20 for MSPE/Dean's Letter with option for honors if you're 1 SD above the mean across all HBF courses, all HDF courses, or all HBF and HDF courses.

Averages in HBF I-II so far have been around 83% end of course. So top 60% is likely around 82%+

Needs a small update in the handbook, but no major changes.

1639841958452.png

Yes. Preclinical is top 60/next 20/bottom 20 for MSPE/Dean's Letter with option for honors if you're 1 SD above the mean across all HBF courses, all HDF courses, or all HBF and HDF courses.

Averages in HBF I-II so far have been around 83% end of course. So top 60% is likely around 82%+

Needs a small update in the handbook, but no major changes.

View attachment 346979

got an A today!! so apparently we have to make an offer response in 5 days?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
What do MSPE, HBF, and HDF stand for? What are the rankings used for?
MSPE is medical school performance evaluation, each student will have one and it is what residency programs see when you apply to residency.

HBF is Human Body Foundations and is the name of the 3 segments that make up your M1 year at WSUSOM.

HDF is Human Disease Foundations and is the name of the 3 segments that make up your M2 year at WSUSOM.

Rankings are used to determine which descriptors are used on your MSPE (eg. outstanding preclinical performance vs good preclinical performance). The previously posted chart shows what ranking you need to get certain descriptors.

II just now! OOS ORM but have pretty strong ties to MI. When I click on the interview dates, I'm confused about what the "tracks" mean. Can someone explain it to me? Excited cuz this is one of my top choices. Dm for stats but my LM is 69. Complete late July

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
II just now! OOS ORM but have pretty strong ties to MI. When I click on the interview dates, I'm confused about what the "tracks" mean. Can someone explain it to me? Excited cuz this is one of my top choices. Dm for stats but my LM is 69.
The tracks are just the order you have your interviews. I believe there are 3 and you can choose the order to have your MMI, faculty, and student interviews.

II just now! OOS ORM but have pretty strong ties to MI. When I click on the interview dates, I'm confused about what the "tracks" mean. Can someone explain it to me? Excited cuz this is one of my top choices. Dm for stats but my LM is 69.
what days were available?

MSPE is medical school performance evaluation, each student will have one and it is what residency programs see when you apply to residency.

HBF is Human Body Foundations and is the name of the 3 segments that make up your M1 year at WSUSOM.

HDF is Human Disease Foundations and is the name of the 3 segments that make up your M2 year at WSUSOM.

Rankings are used to determine which descriptors are used on your MSPE (eg. outstanding preclinical performance vs good preclinical performance). The previously posted chart shows what ranking you need to get certain descriptors.
Would you be willing to give your perspective on the school under the new dean and curriculum? There are a lot of old posts that say the administration is not organized, does not care about students, etc. I take most of that with a grain of salt and from what I have read, the new dean seems to be making positive changes and moving the school forward. Would love the perspective of someone who is attending the school now….

Would you be willing to give your perspective on the school under the new dean and curriculum? There are a lot of old posts that say the administration is not organized, does not care about students, etc. I take most of that with a grain of salt and from what I have read, the new dean seems to be making positive changes and moving the school forward. Would love the perspective of someone who is attending the school now….
Sure, heads up though, this may be a bit of a long-winded response so bear with me.

Let me start by saying these admin problems that you hear about Wayne (eg. being "Wayne Stated") are not unique to WSUSOM. I have friends in medical schools all over the county ( I wish I was exaggerating but approximately 1/3rd of my high school classmates are currently medical students lol) and almost all of them share my frustrations with administration in some way, shape, or form. IMO, Med school admin are notoriously bad because the people seeking admin positions are nearing the end of their career and want a cushiony job that requires minimal work. I think theres an argument to be made about all admin from every field being that way but that's a different can of worms.

With that being said, Wayne definitely has its fair share of problems and many of them seem easy to fix on the surface level. A lot of the issues stem from the lack of transparency between admin/students and the failure of certain departments to communicate with one another. For example, the people who schedule certain in-person classes are often unaware of other in person classes and we ended up with 8-9 required sessions during a synthesis week (a week that is meant to be dedicated for studying prior to finals). Had this information been communicated to us and other departments beforehand maybe this could have been avoided, but many times sessions are added with only a few days notice. Now, I will say there are efforts being made to fix these issues and it looks like they already released our entire schedule for next segment so they are definitely responsive to feedback.

There are problems like this that always pop up, but for the most part it has not made my medical school experience worse than I expected it to be. Tbh, good luck finding admin that actively improve your medical school experience since that requires doing more than the bare minimum and needs to be facilitated by extremely driven and exceptionally organized people. Im borderline ranting now but most of the problem boils down to having people who genuinely care about enhancing your time in medical school rather than simply ensuring you don't fail. With Wayne being the largest single campus medical student body in the country , we would need some next level leadership since that is one helluva task.

I don't know much about the previous Dean to make a fair comparisons but it seems that Dean Schweitzer has the potential to be a vehicle for meaningful change. From what I've read and heard from admin, WSUSOM is at a crucial point in defining its role amongst the myriad medical schools in the US. It seems like many efforts are being made to have community service be the zeitgeist of this school and I think WSU is perfectly positioned to fulfill that role. Although my time at the school has been brief, I do think we have well intentioned admin that for some reason or another struggle to execute at the highest level. However, the optimist in me genuinely believes that the efforts being made by faculty in combination with the latest revival of Detroit will lead to a fruitful future for the WSUSOM ( only time will tell if that statement holds true).

As you can see, I am more than happy to discuss any and all qualms you may have about this school and genuinely hope you end up matriculating here. I say that despite my frustrations with admin because I have met and interacted with some of the greatest people in my life here at WSUSOM. Where admin falls, our genuinely collaborative and compassionate student body rises and I could not have asked for a better group of people to suffer through med school with. Hopefully, this answers your questions :) Best of luck and I hope I see many of you next year. Happy holidays! <3

Edit: pls forgive my spelling/grammar errors my brain has decided to check out for the remainder of the year (plus I have binged watched more anime than i feel comfortable sharing :D)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
or as a tl;dr. It’s a mid-tier MD state school, only outclassed by the flagship university.

Things obviously can be better, but we’re not nearly as egregious as some DO schools in the scheduling of classes/exams/grades like KCU or Midwestern-Chicago, etc. There are definitely kinks to work out with synthesis week intrusions and the insanity that is 3 exams within 5 days.

I do think admin is pretty fake about caring for our concerns through sham town halls. Bless our curriculum committee reps for their efforts, but significant change can’t happen with people like Dr. Rajasekaran in charge. But you’ll learn in 95% of schools, admin only exists to protect the school’s obligations to the accrediting overlords of the LCME and don’t owe you anything.

The only reason Wayne enjoys a modicum of the success it does in the Match is because of 3rd year rotations being very hands-on in DMC/HFHS and having every home department residency you can think of. The Midwest overall respects Wayne students because many colleagues are med school and/or residency alumni within health systems like Cleveland Clinic, UH, Beaumont, etc.

Final opinions on coming here:
If you’re IS -> Come here over State/WMed/etc. (unless you got into Michigan, then go there regardless of the price difference).
If you’re OOS -> come here only if offered a half-tuition scholarship or it’s your only MD acceptance.

P.S. Full-body cadaver dissection labs are a waste of time and lose their novelty quickly. Just go to a school with prosections. Also, try to attend a school with integrated normal/patho body systems that uses more NBME exams and less faculty exams. Wayne is faculty-heavy M1 cause NBME doesn’t have enough normal body questions in the bank.

Last edited:
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 3 users
or as a tl;dr. It’s a mid-tier MD state school, only outclassed by the flagship university.

Things obviously can be better, but we’re not nearly as egregious as some DO schools in the scheduling of classes/exams/grades like KCU or Midwestern-Chicago, etc. There are definitely kinks to work out with synthesis week intrusions and the insanity that is 3 exams within 5 days.

I do think admin is pretty fake about caring for our concerns through sham town halls. Bless our curriculum committee reps for their efforts, but significant change can’t happen with people like Dr. Rajasekaran in charge. But you’ll learn in 95% of schools, admin only exists to protect the school’s obligations to the accrediting overlords of the LCME and don’t owe you anything.

The only reason Wayne enjoys a modicum of the success it does in the Match is because of 3rd year rotations being very hands-on in DMC/HFHS and having every home department residency you can think of. The Midwest overall respects Wayne students because many colleagues are med school and/or residency alumni within health systems like Cleveland Clinic, UH, Beaumont, etc.

Final opinions on coming here:
If you’re IS -> Come here over State/WMed/etc. (unless you got into Michigan, then go there regardless of the price difference).
If you’re OOS -> come here only if offered a half-tuition scholarship or it’s your only MD acceptance.

P.S. Full-body cadaver dissection labs are a waste of time and lose their novelty quickly. Just go to a school with prosections. Also, try to attend a school with integrated normal/patho body systems that uses more NBME exams and less faculty exams. Wayne is faculty-heavy M1 cause NBME doesn’t have enough normal body questions in the bank.
Thanks to both of you for the candid responses! Much appreciated.

If anyone got rejected post interview what are you doing..

I’m OOS trying to get some information on the layout of Detroit. So with what I can dig up Wayne county contains all of the Detroit metropolitan area. The medical school is in the suburb outside of the so called urban area at the heart of Detroit?

I’m OOS trying to get some information on the layout of Detroit. So with what I can dig up Wayne county contains all of the Detroit metropolitan area. The medical school is in the suburb outside of the so called urban area at the heart of Detroit?
I am here right now for grad school (did my undergrad here too) and there's nothing really suburban about campus..