Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
openIs the interview open or closed file?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
openIs the interview open or closed file?
Yes. Preclinical is top 60/next 20/bottom 20 for MSPE/Dean's Letter with option for honors if you're 1 SD above the mean across all HBF courses, all HDF courses, or all HBF and HDF courses.
Averages in HBF I-II so far have been around 83% end of course. So top 60% is likely around 82%+
Needs a small update in the handbook, but no major changes.
View attachment 346979
Yes, there is! Here is the link. You can also search for WSUSOM Class of 2026 in FB.is there a facebook group for accepted students?
It’s just to hold your spot, it’s not binding.got an A today!! so apparently we have to make an offer response in 5 days?
Congratulations! When did you interview?got an A today!! so apparently we have to make an offer response in 5 days?
Thank you! 12/10Congratulations! When did you interview?
MSPE is medical school performance evaluation, each student will have one and it is what residency programs see when you apply to residency.What do MSPE, HBF, and HDF stand for? What are the rankings used for?
Are you IS or OOS?Thank you! 12/10
The tracks are just the order you have your interviews. I believe there are 3 and you can choose the order to have your MMI, faculty, and student interviews.II just now! OOS ORM but have pretty strong ties to MI. When I click on the interview dates, I'm confused about what the "tracks" mean. Can someone explain it to me? Excited cuz this is one of my top choices. Dm for stats but my LM is 69.
what days were available?II just now! OOS ORM but have pretty strong ties to MI. When I click on the interview dates, I'm confused about what the "tracks" mean. Can someone explain it to me? Excited cuz this is one of my top choices. Dm for stats but my LM is 69.
earliest was early febwhat days were available?
OOS!Are you IS or OOS?
Would you be willing to give your perspective on the school under the new dean and curriculum? There are a lot of old posts that say the administration is not organized, does not care about students, etc. I take most of that with a grain of salt and from what I have read, the new dean seems to be making positive changes and moving the school forward. Would love the perspective of someone who is attending the school now….MSPE is medical school performance evaluation, each student will have one and it is what residency programs see when you apply to residency.
HBF is Human Body Foundations and is the name of the 3 segments that make up your M1 year at WSUSOM.
HDF is Human Disease Foundations and is the name of the 3 segments that make up your M2 year at WSUSOM.
Rankings are used to determine which descriptors are used on your MSPE (eg. outstanding preclinical performance vs good preclinical performance). The previously posted chart shows what ranking you need to get certain descriptors.
Sure, heads up though, this may be a bit of a long-winded response so bear with me.Would you be willing to give your perspective on the school under the new dean and curriculum? There are a lot of old posts that say the administration is not organized, does not care about students, etc. I take most of that with a grain of salt and from what I have read, the new dean seems to be making positive changes and moving the school forward. Would love the perspective of someone who is attending the school now….
Thanks to both of you for the candid responses! Much appreciated.or as a tl;dr. It’s a mid-tier MD state school, only outclassed by the flagship university.
Things obviously can be better, but we’re not nearly as egregious as some DO schools in the scheduling of classes/exams/grades like KCU or Midwestern-Chicago, etc. There are definitely kinks to work out with synthesis week intrusions and the insanity that is 3 exams within 5 days.
I do think admin is pretty fake about caring for our concerns through sham town halls. Bless our curriculum committee reps for their efforts, but significant change can’t happen with people like Dr. Rajasekaran in charge. But you’ll learn in 95% of schools, admin only exists to protect the school’s obligations to the accrediting overlords of the LCME and don’t owe you anything.
The only reason Wayne enjoys a modicum of the success it does in the Match is because of 3rd year rotations being very hands-on in DMC/HFHS and having every home department residency you can think of. The Midwest overall respects Wayne students because many colleagues are med school and/or residency alumni within health systems like Cleveland Clinic, UH, Beaumont, etc.
Final opinions on coming here:
If you’re IS -> Come here over State/WMed/etc. (unless you got into Michigan, then go there regardless of the price difference).
If you’re OOS -> come here only if offered a half-tuition scholarship or it’s your only MD acceptance.
P.S. Full-body cadaver dissection labs are a waste of time and lose their novelty quickly. Just go to a school with prosections. Also, try to attend a school with integrated normal/patho body systems that uses more NBME exams and less faculty exams. Wayne is faculty-heavy M1 cause NBME doesn’t have enough normal body questions in the bank.
I am here right now for grad school (did my undergrad here too) and there's nothing really suburban about campus..I’m OOS trying to get some information on the layout of Detroit. So with what I can dig up Wayne county contains all of the Detroit metropolitan area. The medical school is in the suburb outside of the so called urban area at the heart of Detroit?
Sorry to hear that. When did you interview if you don’t mind me asking?If anyone got rejected post interview what are you doing..
I heard that it is very hard to establish residency in Michigan from other schools in Michigan that I have interviewed with. I heard that you can't establish residency by simply being a student, you need to basically work there for 1 year prior to starting school to qualify for residency and in-state tuition. I would double-check with the school because there are other qualifications that could help i.e. working in the army or peace corps.Does anyone know if Wayne State offers in state tuition for OOS students after the first year of living in Michigan and establishing residency?
Damn that sucks. Thanks for the info though.I heard that it is very hard to establish residency in Michigan from other schools in Michigan that I have interviewed with. I heard that you can't establish residency by simply being a student, you need to basically work there for 1 year prior to starting school to qualify for residency and in-state tuition. I would double-check with the school because there are other qualifications that could help i.e. working in the army or peace corps.
Pre-II R - once again Wayne.
Sorry to hear that guys 🙁 IS or OOS?Just got the Pre-II R from Wayne. LM 70.
Canadian so considered OOSSorry to hear that guys 🙁 IS or OOS?
Same - also Canadian.Sorry to hear that guys 🙁 IS or OOS?
Pre-II R - once again Wayne.
Mind sharing dates you were complete?Just got the Pre-II R from Wayne. LM 70.
early/mid AugustMind sharing dates you were complete?
+1Pre-II R just now. Best of luck to everyone this cycle!
Same herecomplete 7/23, radio silence , IS, is Wayne still giving interviews?
same sameSame here
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.