2021-2022 Wayne State

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

300px-Let_Me_In.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any insight on the exams here? On their website they mentioned "formative assessments" and "narrative feedback". What does this look like? Also, do they do NBME exams? I can't find this info anywhere.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much time do students get for studying for step 1? Online it looks like 3 months is this correct?
I just finished up dedicated. For my class, dedicated officially ran from January- mid February. Due to requests from members of my class, it was extended to last a full 8 weeks, although during those extended weeks admin was able to schedule activities/assignments (although they only scheduled a few hours of activities).
 
That last post was a joke but guys pls do take care of yourselves. There is more to life than waitlists and SDN. Go spend time with your friends family cat or dog or significant other. Go play that video game, go to that bar you always wanted, eat that unhealthy sandwich that you always see on Instagram. There's so much more to life. I hope to see y'all one day tho.
 
Do any current WSU students know if the incoming class will have their white coat ceremony this year? I remember reading somewhere that the current M1s and M2s haven't even had theirs yet because of the pandemic. Im really looking forward to it and don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks!
At least for the current M1s and M2s the white coat ceremony is being replaced by the Clinician's Ceremony, which serves as the transition from Segment 2 to 3. I don't know if class of 2026 is going to get this ceremony or a white coat ceremony.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First year: Faculty 1 (15%), Faculty 2 (20%), and then all in one week: Faculty 3 (30%), NBME (15%), Anatomy Practical (15%). 5% is Attendance.
Second Year: 3 NBMEs spaced out. No faculty and no 3 exams in one week stress.

These are for each trimester.
Thank you! Does 'Faculty 1' mean a faculty-written exam, or is it some other kind of in-person assessment?
 
Can someone talk about their experience living in Michigan/Detroit? I am OOS
Fellow OOSer

Pros
  • Lots of really good/interesting restaurants (especially ethnic restaurants)
  • Several nice park areas (such as the River Walk)
  • Very affordable (I pay $1250/month+ utilities for a nice 1 bdrm in a building with lots of amenities).
  • There's a vibrant nightlife, although I don't participate in it so someone else will need to chime in.
Cons
  • City has a lot of unsafe areas (that are very close to the safe ones), and if you get in trouble the city police can take a very long time to respond
  • I have a mild gait instability (due to pez planus) and have been mocked when I'm out powerwalking (I travel quite a bit and this has been the only city where this has ever occurred)
  • Auto insurance is very expensive (although I have enough ties to home that I can keep my car registered there and avoid this)
  • While this is getting better, some neighborhoods don't have nearby grocery stores (and many of the ones that do just have an overpriced grocery store with low quality goods)
I'm single/don't have kids so I can't speak much to the quality of the local schools.
Let me know if you have any more specific questions