2021-2022 Arizona, Tucson

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you to @featherbrain for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Arizona, Tucson Secondary Essay Prompts "Our secondary application is due 21 days from the date and time it was originally sent"- a firm deadline according to U AZ Tucson admissions.

1. Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician?
(Limit: 350 words)

2. Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life.
(Limit: 350 words)

3. "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."

Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission.
(Limit: 350 words)

4. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession.
(Limit: 350 words)

5. Share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.
(??word limit?)


Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
 
Last edited:
I have strong AZ ties and submitted here. I hope I get the opportunity here. Does anyone know if they still have the hard 2 week deadline? I heard they would not accept secondaries later than that once received.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have strong AZ ties and submitted here. I hope I get the opportunity here. Does anyone know if they still have the hard 2 week deadline? I heard they would not accept secondaries later than that once received.
Our secondary application is due 21 days from the date and time it was originally sent (or December 15th, 2021, whichever day comes first). Correct, it is a firm deadline.
 
OOS secondary received.

@wysdoc

1. Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician?
(Limit: 350 words)

2. Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life.
(Limit: 350 words)

3. "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."

Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission.
(Limit: 350 words)

4. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession.
(Limit: 350 words)

5. Share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (No limit, from what I can tell)
 
Is the COVID-19 prompt optional? Or is it best to write something even if you didn't experience any disruptions due to the pandemic?
 
So I see this school requires physician LOR in clinical setting. How about if I used one I got from a doc I volunteered with in like a community setting?
 
So I see this school requires physician LOR in clinical setting. How about if I used one I got from a doc I volunteered with in like a community setting?
If the physician can attest to your ability to work well with patients then it's good.
 
How about the two semesters of physiology? I see that's a requirement but most colleges I know don't have two physiology semesters, just one. Anyone know if we can sub anatomy or something?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a heads up. If you are applying to the MD/PhD program you select "yes" on question 9. I wasn't sure if it referred to being a reapplicant but the admission office told me the question essentially means "Are you applying this cycle to the MD/PhD program?"

Threw me for a loop but I'm glad I checked.
 
Does anyone have an idea of when they are sending out interview invitations? I looked at last years thread and they came out in September from the looks of it but it also looked like UA were having some technical difficulties last year.
 
Last edited:
How about the two semesters of physiology? I see that's a requirement but most colleges I know don't have two physiology semesters, just one. Anyone know if we can sub anatomy or something?
From what I have heard you need to find two classes that can satisfy that physiology credit. For example, I took at course called Animal Physiology and I am taking an Anatomy and Physiology course this year.
 
OOS applicant, just got put on the pre-II hold. Does anyone know how likely you are to receive an II off this list or if this is AZs way of giving a soft rejection?
Last cycle i applied, I got put on a Pre-II waitlist. I received an II in December. They definitely take applicants off the interview hold.

edit: OOS applicant
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS II-waitlist today. Does tucson either interview you or put you on the II waitlist, or are there other people who get flat out rejected?
 
Received II today as well, IS and a recent alum. Anyone else with an II unable to view the links in the Reference Materials section on the portal?? Thinking about emailing them but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem first
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yet another II hold, OOS with strong ties. Browsing past threads appears not many people make it off these lists...but we can remain hopeful! Seems like they only outwardly reject the obviously low applicants and keep everyone else on the backburner.
 
1628205632818.png

30 interviews offered today - about 6% of the expected total. Impressive that this thread has so many of them. For the rest of us, don't worry at all lol
 
Looks like last year people had trouble accessing the reference materials too....just getting anxious since my interview is in 3 weeks lol....anyone have an idea??