2022-2023 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That makes sense! But the grade for passing is a 70 correct? I know that at a certain point class attendance is mandatory for <80
Passing is 70% for all classes. Feel free to ask specific questions directly as well if you'd like!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Passing is 70% for all classes. Feel free to ask specific questions directly as well if you'd like!
Also if you get below a 70, you have the chance to take a remediation exam!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if the interview is closed file?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! For anyone who’s been accepted, how long after the acceptance phone call did you get an email with more information about the deposit, etc.

Hey guys! For anyone who’s been accepted, how long after the acceptance phone call did you get an email with more information about the deposit, etc.
I got the welcome to ARCOM email the next day, but didn't get any deposit info or anything until a whole week after that.

on the dl, I asked someone on admissions and they said waitlist movement will really pick up in April. :)

Paid like $500 to go interview in Fort Smith, and then $2000 for the deposit a few weeks ago, and yet I need to pay $3.51 postage fee to receive my acceptance banner from them? Seriously?

For those accepted, what time of day was your phone call? Does anyone know if acceptances happen before rejection/waitlist notifications?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who is MCATBros and why are they making class of 2027 pages for like every single school that admin is literally emailing us to tell us it is NOT them and to not join it....? This is highly creepy what

Who is MCATBros and why are they making class of 2027 pages for like every single school that admin is literally emailing us to tell us it is NOT them and to not join it....? This is highly creepy what
I assume it's to promote their MCAT business they have, but yikes

I assume it's to promote their MCAT business they have, but yikes
yea they are making an accepted group for each school and i think that is too much. the interview groups are helpful but not the accepted groups lol

yea they are making an accepted group for each school and i think that is too much. the interview groups are helpful but not the accepted groups lol
you know it's bad when school admin step in, I'm sure they've probably contacted them also

Reactions: 3 users
Just read this whole thread while in the middle of my IM night float shift doing nothing in front of a computer. I graduated last year (May 2022), and I just wanted to say that while there were ups and downs all throughout my medical school years, this school gave me every opportunity to succeed. I was able to match into my preferred specialty (Neurology) because of it. For that I am extremely grateful. To those students still at the school, I know it may seem counterintuitive sometimes with certain policies by admin and such, but keep working hard, and you will get where you need to be. Everyone at ARCOM from faculty, to student affairs, and even admin really do want to see you succeed, and they are willing to work with you to get you where you need to be. This is coming from someone who wasn't particularly exceptional or even near the top of my class with below average boards. However, I stuck with it, and it was worth it in the end. If you are currently an OMS-1 or 2, I know it sucks now with all you have to do, but brighter days are ahead, Clinical years will suck less. If you are an OMS 3 or 4, I know you may feel useless some days in the Hospital or clinic but keep at it and try to learn as much as possible every single day, brighter days are ahead as well. You will definitely thank yourself on match day for all your hard work. To prospective students, ARCOM is not the worst school out there despite all you may have heard. It's a medical school like any other that will pave the way for you to become a doctor. Being currently in a pretty big Hospital system with many residency programs where medical students from 2 MD schools and 1 DO school rotate through, and also having worked with many residents from said programs, I can tell you most complain about pretty much the same exact things me and my classmates used to complain about in med school. The grass is always greener on the other side, but is it though? On that note, good luck to everyone on your endeavors. You are the future of medicine.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Question for current students:
I know ARCOM has 8-5pm mandatory attendance but is there any downtime between classes for you to study?

Yes that’s right! I just meant in situations when you don’t have above 80%
It depends on the schedule. You'll always have a lunch break at 12-1 PM. But for example, for OMM (OMS-1 and 2) and anatomy lab (only OMS-1), your class will be separated into 2 groups. Labs are usually in the afternoon for 2 hours, so depending on which group goes first, you may or may not have an extra 2 hours after lunch break on lab days (or your day may end at 3PM). Some days, you may have few or no lectures in the mornings or vice versa. Like I said, it all depends on the schedule.

It depends on the schedule. You'll always have a lunch break at 12-1 PM. But for example, for OMM (OMS-1 and 2) and anatomy lab (only OMS-1), your class will be separated into 2 groups. Labs are usually in the afternoon for 2 hours, so depending on which group goes first, you may or may not have an extra 2 hours after lunch break on lab days (or your day may end at 3PM). Some days, you may have few or no lectures in the mornings or vice versa. Like I said, it all depends on the schedule.
That makes sense! Thank you!

1676227057559.png

Here's an example of one of our weeks.

OPP on Tuesday is split into groups A and B, so you only attend the one that is your normal time slot.
FOPC 2 L13 on Thursday from 8-12 is for the entire class, but they break us up into different groups for about an hour.

Let me know if you have questions.

View attachment 366085

OPP on Tuesday is split into groups A and B, so you only attend the one that is your normal time slot.
FOPC 2 L13 on Thursday from 8-12 is for the entire class, but they break us up into different groups for about an hour.

! So y’all actually do seem to have some downtime on some days!
View attachment 366085

Thank you! This is helpful! So y’all do have a bit of downtime on some days!

Thank you! This is helpful! So y’all do have a bit of downtime on some days!
Definitely! I know we have a lot of parents in the program, and they're able to manage family time and school. One of my friends would be finished by 6pm every night. God bless them, cuz that ain't me, LOL.

But some people are really good with their time management!

Has anyone from a recent interview group heard anything yet?
I have been so anxious just waiting. I feel like my interview went well and I wasn't stumped over any questions. Plus I felt like I vibed well with the mission and the school. I think I hit it off with the community member; however, I am slightly hesitant about how much the other interviewer (PHD-professor) liked me. He didn't seem super interested in my clinical experiences or really anything I talked about. Regardless, I don't know who would really impress him much from my read of his entire demeanor. I am definitely super nervous because it was my first interview and the anticipation is killing meeeee. I just want the A call😭

Has anyone from a recent interview group heard anything yet?
I have been so anxious just waiting. I feel like my interview went well and I wasn't stumped over any questions. Plus I felt like I vibed well with the mission and the school. I think I hit it off with the community member; however, I am slightly hesitant about how much the other interviewer (PHD-professor) liked me. He didn't seem super interested in my clinical experiences or really anything I talked about. Regardless, I don't know who would really impress him much from my read of his entire demeanor. I am definitely super nervous because it was my first interview and the anticipation is killing meeeee. I just want the A call

I felt the same way during my interview. I hit it off more with the community member than the professor. I still got the A. Don’t lose hope!

Just got a secondary here...is it worth filling out and paying the fee or is it too late in the cycle?

Just got a secondary here...is it worth filling out and paying the fee or is it too late in the cycle?
they only send secondaries to people they interview. so i would fill it out

they only send secondaries to people they interview. so i would fill it out
Oh my goodness I will definitely fill it out then! How long after submitting the secondaries do they usually send out ii's?

Yeah they screen HEAVILY before sending their secondary, p good chance you will get an II. I'm talking VERY high chance. I submitted the secondary at 14:22 and got II at 15:51 the same day. Fill out the secondary!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Oh my goodness I will definitely fill it out then! How long after submitting the secondaries do they usually send out ii's?
I got my II the day after. It would have probably been sooner if I had filled out that release of info form that I forgot to sign.

Reactions: 2 users
Just read this whole thread while in the middle of my IM night float shift doing nothing in front of a computer. I graduated last year (May 2022), and I just wanted to say that while there were ups and downs all throughout my medical school years, this school gave me every opportunity to succeed. I was able to match into my preferred specialty (Neurology) because of it. For that I am extremely grateful. To those students still at the school, I know it may seem counterintuitive sometimes with certain policies by admin and such, but keep working hard, and you will get where you need to be. Everyone at ARCOM from faculty, to student affairs, and even admin really do want to see you succeed, and they are willing to work with you to get you where you need to be. This is coming from someone who wasn't particularly exceptional or even near the top of my class with below average boards. However, I stuck with it, and it was worth it in the end. If you are currently an OMS-1 or 2, I know it sucks now with all you have to do, but brighter days are ahead, Clinical years will suck less. If you are an OMS 3 or 4, I know you may feel useless some days in the Hospital or clinic but keep at it and try to learn as much as possible every single day, brighter days are ahead as well. You will definitely thank yourself on match day for all your hard work. To prospective students, ARCOM is not the worst school out there despite all you may have heard. It's a medical school like any other that will pave the way for you to become a doctor. Being currently in a pretty big Hospital system with many residency programs where medical students from 2 MD schools and 1 DO school rotate through, and also having worked with many residents from said programs, I can tell you most complain about pretty much the same exact things me and my classmates used to complain about in med school. The grass is always greener on the other side, but is it though? On that note, good luck to everyone on your endeavors. You are the future of medicine.
I had an another question for you! How were the shelf exams you took during rotations? I know schools have different expectations when it comes to shelf exams. Some have diff passing scores etc. so I was just wondering!

I had an another question for you! How were the shelf exams you took during rotations? I know schools have different expectations when it comes to shelf exams. Some have diff passing scores etc. so I was just wondering!
Shelf exams were not unreasonable compared to other schools. Passing scores were very doable (at least for my class); you had to actually try really hard to fail a shelf exam. Passing score was 80, then at some point they felt it was too easy, they increased it to 83 (that's like 4th percentile). Not sure what it is now, but I know many schools who have their passing cutoff at 90+ (15th percentile), so like I said very doable.

Last edited:
When do they stop sending secondaries ?
I honestly do not know... I kinda gave up on this one since it was so late so maybe there will be more in the upcoming weeks. I got the email that they received my aacomas app in November and that was the last I heard from them until yesterday.

Incoming students: once you've decided that you'll be attending ARCOM, I highly recommend looking at the ACHE Marketplace on Facebook before buying new furniture. Many students will be moving away for rotations/residency during the summer-time and will be selling furniture for very cheap! I wish I would've known this before I moved here

Still patiently waiting for a ii after everyone else said they got theirs within an hour of submitting secondary:bang:

• Wow
Still patiently waiting for a ii after everyone else said they got theirs within an hour of submitting secondary:bang:
The admissions committee meets every other Friday to discuss interview/admission decisions. They may be occupied with that today!

Shelf exams were not unreasonable compared to other schools. Passing scores were very doable (at least for my class); you had to actually try really hard to fail a shelf exam. Passing score was 80, then at some point they felt it was too easy, they increased it to 83 (that's like 4th percentile). Not sure what it is now, but I know many schools who have their passing cutoff at 90+ (15th percentile), so like I said very doable.
I know some schools can make their own shelf exams for students instead of using the standardized one so does ARCOM do that? Did y’all feel like y’all had enough time to study for Shelf exams with rotations?

I know some schools can make their own shelf exams for students instead of using the standardized one so does ARCOM do that? Did y’all feel like y’all had enough time to study for Shelf exams with rotations?
So shelf/COMATs are standardized for all the schools. It’s possible that other schools might require an additional test in addition to their COMAT. However, COMATs are licensing exams which means every DO student needs to take them and pass them.

I believe we get enough time to “pass” the exams. Enough time to crush the exams? Debatable… However, If you don’t crush a COMAT you can easily still Honor the rotation and study for that rotation’s material in the background in the following months.

Not all rotations, preceptors, and COMAT are built the same. Common experiences are the two below;

1) FM: super broad subject material makes for a gnarly test, super chill preceptors make for mellow atmosphere to study… balances out with, “you’ll be fine for the test.” However, the X-factor is site… are you with residents? Is the FM rotation really more of a FM-internal med rotation so hours are more 7-6 instead of the cush 9-5? Either way it’s doable.
2) GS: Still a pretty broad subject (GS is much closer to an IM COMAT than I once thought) but the topics are quite accessible in a month of learning. Typically GS hours’ are quite ****e and the nature of the work allows for little productivity during the actual “working hours.” However, the X-factor on this one is Preceptor… Is your team the type that will call you in at 10pm for an emergent procedure that isn’t unique to its elective/urgent workflow? That ripples out to your time/energy to study. Either way it’s doable because surgery is closer to IM than surgery and the topics/Work ups are pretty easy.

But like Dr. Strange said, ARCOM (who draws the line in the sand for passing, where NBOME makes the beach) draws that line quite generously towards the students favor. ARCOM weighs the grading towards evaluation rather than COMAT.

Hopefully this answers your question and explains the process a bit more for ya. Hopefully everyone has had a pleasant experience with ARCOM and Arkansas in general.

So shelf/COMATs are standardized for all the schools. It’s possible that other schools might require an additional test in addition to their COMAT. However, COMATs are licensing exams which means every DO student needs to take them and pass them.

I believe we get enough time to “pass” the exams. Enough time to crush the exams? Debatable… However, If you don’t crush a COMAT you can easily still Honor the rotation and study for that rotation’s material in the background in the following months.

Not all rotations, preceptors, and COMAT are built the same. Common experiences are the two below;

1) FM: super broad subject material makes for a gnarly test, super chill preceptors make for mellow atmosphere to study… balances out with, “you’ll be fine for the test.” However, the X-factor is site… are you with residents? Is the FM rotation really more of a FM-internal med rotation so hours are more 7-6 instead of the cush 9-5? Either way it’s doable.
2) GS: Still a pretty broad subject (GS is much closer to an IM COMAT than I once thought) but the topics are quite accessible in a month of learning. Typically GS hours’ are quite ****e and the nature of the work allows for little productivity during the actual “working hours.” However, the X-factor on this one is Preceptor… Is your team the type that will call you in at 10pm for an emergent procedure that isn’t unique to its elective/urgent workflow? That ripples out to your time/energy to study. Either way it’s doable because surgery is closer to IM than surgery and the topics/Work ups are pretty easy.

But like Dr. Strange said, ARCOM (who draws the line in the sand for passing, where NBOME makes the beach) draws that line quite generously towards the students favor. ARCOM weighs the grading towards evaluation rather than COMAT.

Hopefully this answers your question and explains the process a bit more for ya. Hopefully everyone has had a pleasant experience with ARCOM and Arkansas in general.
Thank you so much that’s helpful!

Looool they just sent me a secondary today. Prob not filling it out cuz I already have an A from another school I like more. This was after I got an email on 1/19 saying that I wasn’t selected to proceed in the process at this time, but it “is not a denial” and that there was a chance my app would be reviewed again

Looool they just sent me a secondary today. Prob not filling it out cuz I already have an A from another school I like more. This was after I got an email on 1/19 saying that I wasn’t selected to proceed in the process at this time, but it “is not a denial” and that there was a chance my app would be reviewed again
Yeah I got that email in September.. I need that secondary Omg

i also got a secondary. secondary means interview invite here. im debating if i wanna do it since I also have another A.