You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Drexel
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Wanted to chime in about home residency programs and rotations; the Tower Health Reading Hospital third year rotation site is unlikely to accept Philly campus students from now onwards (next year when the current M2s start rotating there) because the West Reading campus students get priority for the full year rotation there. I believe there are currently more students than rotation positions there (~40 students per year), but they will expand the few spots needed to accommodate all West Reading students with the new residency programs opening at Reading Hospital. I don't think they will accept any Philly campus students there anymore, but that's something that will be finalized in the upcoming months as they figure stuff out logistically for the first year of WR students to start clinical rotations. This is probably the closest that Drexel will have in the near future for a "home residency" program - idk if it's anything stated officially, but the physicians at that hospital and the relationships the students have there have most definitely stated that in all practicality, it is the West Reading students' "home residency program."
Reading Hospital is also opening more residency programs and while it's by no means a "top ranking" institute in the likes of big research institutes out there, it is also the 8th busiest trauma center in the country (top in Pennsylvania, surprisingly) so you can assume that you will get a quality education in fields that benefit from that (surgery, ER, IM, psych, etc.).
For other questions: I think the cons mentioned by someone further upthread don't really apply to the West Reading campus (lottery is more like a fairness aspect but everyone is for the most part guaranteed what they choose) and the class size is ridiculously small to the point that everyone knows everyone's business. However, it's opposite to the Philly campus in another sense in that what is offered extracurricularly is on a smaller scale that will hopefully be expanded with student involvement in the future. A limitation of sorts, for now. Also people tend to travel to Philly or King of Prussia to do something more socially fun than hang out in Reading lol
Reading Hospital is also opening more residency programs and while it's by no means a "top ranking" institute in the likes of big research institutes out there, it is also the 8th busiest trauma center in the country (top in Pennsylvania, surprisingly) so you can assume that you will get a quality education in fields that benefit from that (surgery, ER, IM, psych, etc.).
For other questions: I think the cons mentioned by someone further upthread don't really apply to the West Reading campus (lottery is more like a fairness aspect but everyone is for the most part guaranteed what they choose) and the class size is ridiculously small to the point that everyone knows everyone's business. However, it's opposite to the Philly campus in another sense in that what is offered extracurricularly is on a smaller scale that will hopefully be expanded with student involvement in the future. A limitation of sorts, for now. Also people tend to travel to Philly or King of Prussia to do something more socially fun than hang out in Reading lol
Oh damn I did a whole paper on hospital closures in the US. The Hann
Are you a current student?Wanted to chime in about home residency programs and rotations; the Tower Health Reading Hospital third year rotation site is unlikely to accept Philly campus students from now onwards (next year when the current M2s start rotating there) because the West Reading campus students get priority for the full year rotation there. I believe there are currently more students than rotation positions there (~40 students per year), but they will expand the few spots needed to accommodate all West Reading students with the new residency programs opening at Reading Hospital. I don't think they will accept any Philly campus students there anymore, but that's something that will be finalized in the upcoming months as they figure stuff out logistically for the first year of WR students to start clinical rotations. This is probably the closest that Drexel will have in the near future for a "home residency" program - idk if it's anything stated officially, but the physicians at that hospital and the relationships the students have there have most definitely stated that in all practicality, it is the West Reading students' "home residency program."
Reading Hospital is also opening more residency programs and while it's by no means a "top ranking" institute in the likes of big research institutes out there, it is also the 8th busiest trauma center in the country (top in Pennsylvania, surprisingly) so you can assume that you will get a quality education in fields that benefit from that (surgery, ER, IM, psych, etc.).
For other questions: I think the cons mentioned by someone further upthread don't really apply to the West Reading campus (lottery is more like a fairness aspect but everyone is for the most part guaranteed what they choose) and the class size is ridiculously small to the point that everyone knows everyone's business. However, it's opposite to the Philly campus in another sense in that what is offered extracurricularly is on a smaller scale that will hopefully be expanded with student involvement in the future. A limitation of sorts, for now. Also people tend to travel to Philly or King of Prussia to do something more socially fun than hang out in Reading lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
akapur2000
Full Member
Interviewed 11/7, deferred 12/2, top choice school so I sent a letter of update/intent. Hopefully things work out!
NeuroMed6
Full Member
I hope that things work out for you! I also interviewed on 11/7, but haven't heard back yet. Do you mind sharing your stats (either through DM or on here)?Interviewed 11/7, deferred 12/2, top choice school so I sent a letter of update/intent. Hopefully things work out!
akapur2000
Full Member
3.8, 509 (128,125,128,128)I hope that things work out for you! I also interviewed on 11/7, but haven't heard back yet. Do you mind sharing your stats (either through DM or on here)?
I’d say avg ECs
Gap year- EMT + regular shadowing with physician that has Drexel ties + hospice volunteer, volunteer at a program that focuses on developing motor skills of adults, kids with cognitive disabilities.
Undergrad- honors thesis, research lab, 200 hrs of volunteering, some sprinkled shadowing
akapur2000
Full Member
Btw certainly wish you the best also!I hope that things work out for you! I also interviewed on 11/7, but haven't heard back yet. Do you mind sharing your stats (either through DM or on here)?
Congrats! When were you complete?II this morning, LM 70!
7/20/22Congrats! When were you complete?
Dang I was late august. Still gotta wait a bit longer I guess.7/20/22
akapur2000
Full Member
Not sure if they go in order! I interviewed 11/7 and was completed around the same time as you.Dang I was late august. Still gotta wait a bit longer I guess.
Keep your head up! Drexel seems random with their communicationsDang I was late august. Still gotta wait a bit longer I guess.
potatolover55
Full Member
complete 10/24, put on hold 12/6
Waiting for II, complete on 7/11 and received Open house email twiceDang I was late august. Still gotta wait a bit longer I guess.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was it an email notification?complete 10/24, put on hold 12/6
Was it an email notificationcomplete 10/24, put on hold 12/6
I have been complete since 9/24Was it an email notification?
No hold no nothing lol
complete 10/24, put on hold 12/6
same but 9/21Was it an email notification
I have been complete since 9/24
No hold no nothing lol
gutentag27
New Member
Complete in October, put on hold for an interview 11/20. If someone was on hold and got interviewed please let me know so I can have some hope lol
akapur2000
Full Member
When did you interview last year?II this morning. Completed in August. Was interviewed last year and was waitlisted.
I've been complete since 8/24, but no hold, no II.same but 9/21
Silence from Drexel is actually the next best thing after an II.I've been complete since 8/24, but no hold, no II.
pyrochem
Full Member
Towards the end of March. Super late interview!!When did you interview last year?
Were you previously on hold?II this morning. Completed in August. Was interviewed last year and was waitlisted.
pyrochem
Full Member
No, was never put on this year or last. Just silence until the invite.Were you previously on hold?
almightyfigure
Full Member
II! OOS complete early September
Ok that gives me hope since I have not been on holdNo, was never put on this year or last. Just silence until the invite.
almightyfigure
Full Member
For anyone that’s already interviewed, I accidentally included one of my public health classes under the clinical coursework assignment section as I was unsure if I could leave it empty. I did not know after you saved nothing could be changed and I did not have any direct patient experience with this course. Is this worth calling or emailing admissions over?
potatolover55
Full Member
Yes, I received an email and I also see the message in my portalWas it an email notification
I have been complete since 9/24
No hold no nothing lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
heyheyheyheyheyheyheyhey
Full Member
is there a groupme for accepted students?
Hurley2001
New Member
Any advice for the closed student interview? Were the students friendly and conversational or was it more of a script they followed with questions?
It's not really a formal interview! It's a group conversation with a couple of other students, and our student interviewer mainly let the conversation flow between all of us. She asked us a couple of generic questions such as "introduce yourself" and "what type of medicine are you interested in?" It was super relaxed. Good luck!!Any advice for the closed student interview? Were the students friendly and conversational or was it more of a script they followed with questions?
Hi, looking for advice, I have not heard back since completing my secondary in early September. I was thinking of sending an update letter, but wanted to know if my updates are really substantial enough? I gave talk at a conference and just submitted an abstract to another that was accepted? Really I am just trying to find a reason to express interest again before IIs stop.
showkayaker
Full Member
I would send it and express your continued interest/ fit for the school!Hi, looking for advice, I have not heard back since completing my secondary in early September. I was thinking of sending an update letter, but wanted to know if my updates are really substantial enough? I gave talk at a conference and just submitted an abstract to another that was accepted? Really I am just trying to find a reason to express interest again before IIs stop.
D
deleted1050953
OOS II 12/6. Complete 9/1
Stat breakdown please (if u don't mind) and congrats!!!OOS II 12/6. Complete 9/1
D
deleted1050953
Thanks!Stat breakdown please (if u don't mind) and congrats!!!
512 / 3.8 sGPA in engineering at a big but pretty good state school
>500 clinical hours when I applied (mostly ED scribing) with >1000 projected
>800 research hours across two labs with an abstract and third author pub in the more recent one
Community service & leadership awards within the engineering dept
Started club sports team at my university
akapur2000
Full Member
The wait is so tough y’all 🙁
akapur2000
Full Member
Here is a thought and ya’ll let me know if I am out of pocket. Post interview, what’s with the deferred decision? Like why not just let me know when there is a decision. Why email me to let me know no decision has been made?
What II dates are still waiting to hear back?
Interviewed 11/19
Interviewed 11/19
10/31 hereWhat II dates are still waiting to hear back?
Interviewed 11/19
11/11What II dates are still waiting to hear back?
Interviewed 11/19
Hi all! I interviewed at Drexel early last month and during the interview, our host mentioned that we probably wouldn't hear back until around February so I was super surprised when I got an email saying that they've reviewed my application post-interview and that I'm deferred. Is anyone else in this same boat? Does anyone know of people getting accepted after being deferred? And what does this generally mean?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1147188
Got the A! Interviewed 11/9
D
deleted1150423
interviewed second week of november - hopefully today is the day!
Same here when will it be our time 😭10/31 here
Deferral is a lot better than a rejection. It means that they’re friendzoning you for the moment in case another someone hotter comes along. I kid, but I’m also serious. They like your application but they want to keep interviewing others to see if they’re better than you.Here is a thought and ya’ll let me know if I am out of pocket. Post interview, what’s with the deferred decision? Like why not just let me know when there is a decision. Why email me to let me know no decision has been made?
akapur2000
Full Member
In the same boat as you and a good chunk from last years Drexel sdn got accepted after being deferred.Hi all! I interviewed at Drexel early last month and during the interview, our host mentioned that we probably wouldn't hear back until around February so I was super surprised when I got an email saying that they've reviewed my application post-interview and that I'm deferred. Is anyone else in this same boat? Does anyone know of people getting accepted after being deferred? And what does this generally mean?