2022-2023 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @sleepingpupper for sharing this year's questions (they are unchanged from last year)

George Washington does not screen you prior to secondaries, BUT they would like you to look at the eligibility requirements and essentially screen yourself to see if you are eligible! Here's the link: Minimum Eligibility & Requirements

2022-2023 George Washington Secondary Essay Prompts
(unlike most schools, these character counts don't count the spaces)

1. Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) from the point of application through matriculation in 2023. (750 characters)

2. The MD Program includes substantial content in Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health) to prepare GW graduates for an expanded scope of practice required to be successful 21st century physicians. What are your specific interests and experiences related to that aspect of the MD Program? (350 characters)

3. What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)

4. Describe how current issues regarding advocacy and social justice have impacted your motivation for medical school? (500 characters)

5. What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (750 characters)

6. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (1750 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received their secondary invite yet? Verified 6/28 and OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Received, OOS.
Looks like everyone needs to set up an account and complete the secondary. Here is the general email from them:

=====
We have received your preliminary AMCAS application submission to The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences Doctor of Medicine Program for Fall 2023 entry.

• GW does not screen based on your AMCAS application. We invite all applicants who submit an AMCAS application to GW to complete our Secondary Application.

• Please review Eligibility Requirements as receiving a secondary application does not indicate an applicant has met these requirements:

We appreciate your interest in our program and invite you to complete our secondary application. Please note that you can proceed with submitting our secondary application, even before your AMCAS application is verified.

Please proceed to the following website for instructions to complete the GW Secondary Application:

Reactions: 1 users
Oos secondary received looks like they started handing them out.

@wysdoc

OOS secondary received

As noted above, all character limits do not account for spaces:

1. Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) from the point of application through matriculation in 2023. (750 characters)

2. The MD Program includes substantial content in Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health) to prepare GW graduates for an expanded scope of practice required to be successful 21st century physicians. What are your specific interests and experiences related to that aspect of the MD Program? (350 characters)

3. What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)

4. Describe how current issues regarding advocacy and social justice have impacted your motivation for medical school? (500 characters)

5. What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (750 characters)

6. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (1750 characters)

Anyone not see this question on their submitted secondary? I answered it and saved it, but after I submitted, I cannot see the question or my answer to it on my complete file like the other questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received, AMCAS not verified yet. Will not be submitting because they have a hard requirement that undergrad must be from a US or Canadian university.

How soon should we aim to submit GW's secondary? Do you guys think 1-2 weeks is a good turnaround time to aim for?

received secondary today even though im not verified (submitted 6/7 so praying i get verified today :'') ) - im an incoming Americorps member but don't start until this August. am i still eligible for a secondary fee waiver?

I am struggling to keep these essays to a 350 character limit… guess I’m only writing two sentences.

Reactions: 9 users
Did people receive a confirmation email when they submitted? I have confirmation of the payment but not of the application from GW

Anyone know if GWU reviews secondaries separately from primaries? My most significant clinical experience to date was included in my personal statement and I don't want to be redundant if they look at everything together.

Anyone not see this question on their submitted secondary? I answered it and saved it, but after I submitted, I cannot see the question or my answer to it on my complete file like the other questions.
Part of my answer got cut off and I can't see the whole thing either!

Did you use the character counts displayed in the portal or word/google docs? I pasted my responses into the application portal and I somehow have all of these extra characters remaining. I am not sure if I should add more information or just leave it as is ...
Do they consider characters with or without spaces included?

Anyone know if GWU reviews secondaries separately from primaries? My most significant clinical experience to date was included in my personal statement and I don't want to be redundant if they look at everything together.
I am wondering about this also. I have written stories in my ps and activities about my most significant experiences. Should I pick one?

For anyone who's worked on the question about interest in clinical public health, how specific were you? There's not much space but I'm wondering if I should break down my answers to cover my interests in community health vs population health or just address it broadly

For anyone who's worked on the question about interest in clinical public health, how specific were you? There's not much space but I'm wondering if I should break down my answers to cover my interests in community health vs population health or just address it broadly
I have a good friend at GW, and this is the feedback she gave me for this question: "This response is hard because you don’t have many characters to use; however, I think this needs to be more about what your current experiences are within public health. Use your characters to explain what you have done and why it goes well with the public health program at GW rather than why you like it/think it is good."
Hope this helps :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone think it would be weird to talk about a clinical experience that was not mentioned in my primary? Like I didnt even include the job in the work/activities section.

Does anyone think it would be weird to talk about a clinical experience that was not mentioned in my primary? Like I didnt even include the job in the work/activities section.
It might come across a bit confusing if the person who reads your secondary cross references your primary to see that the experience doesn't exist there. They may question if it's really your most significant clinical experience if it's not mentioned in your primary. I'd try to avoid raising such doubts.

Reactions: 3 users
It's your most meaningful for a reason, so I think repeating is gonna be okay -- a lot of people are probably going to do so. Maybe try to write about it from a different angle or include details you didn't include in the story how it's written in your primary app.

I have a good friend at GW, and this is the feedback she gave me for this question: "This response is hard because you don’t have many characters to use; however, I think this needs to be more about what your current experiences are within public health. Use your characters to explain what you have done and why it goes well with the public health program at GW rather than why you like it/think it is good."
Hope this helps :)
Thank you, that's extremely helpful! :)

is there any point in submitting a secondary (to match the 2 weeks deadline) before my amcas is approved?

It's your most meaningful for a reason, so I think repeating is gonna be okay -- a lot of people are probably going to do so. Maybe try to write about it from a different angle or include details you didn't include in the story how it's written in your primary app.
I did end up writing about the same experience, but the character limit really didn't leave any room for angles. I basically just summarized a meaningful patient encounter in two sentences and what I took from it in a third sentence, but that was the best I could do lol!

Last edited:
That's so weird. Are you missing documents or something?
No, GW puts the majority of their applicants “on hold for re-review”. Basically saying that they reviewed your app but aren’t giving you an interview just yet.

No, GW puts the majority of their applicants “on hold for re-review”. Basically saying that they reviewed your app but aren’t giving you an interview just yet.
Also on hold.

Anyone else really struggling with some of their secondary essay questions? I am not sure how to tackle some of them since I don't have a solid story or background experience to back up ones about advocacy or clinical public health.

I submitted 07/05 and have not received any notification. Does anyone know if they send rejections pre-II?

Does this mean that you will eventually be invited for an interview or is it like WVU's interview waitlist?
In the past, some people on this list were extended an interview, while others were rejected. But, there have also been people who were rejected without being on this list. It's hard to tell what it means....

Reactions: 2 users