2022-2023 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @szeth for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Maryland Secondary Essay Prompts

1. If you’ve experienced academic problems while in college and/or graduate or professional school please describe and explain below. Please be sure to include withdrawals, incompletes, poor grades, etc. (1000 characters)

2. If a specific medical school application activity was impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, please describe the activity, the time period during which it was to take place, and any relevant contact information. (1000 characters)

3. Please explain what you will be doing during the 2022-2023 academic year. If you graduated/will graduate in 2022, what are your plans during this gap year? (1000 characters)

4. Please let us know if you have a specific reason you are interested in attending the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and/or if you have any special ties to our institution (optional). (1000 characters)

5. Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine. (1500 characters)

6. Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service. (1500 characters)

7. Without limiting the discussion to your own identity, please describe how you envision contributing to the core values of diversity and inclusion at our School of Medicine, and in the medical profession. (1500 characters)

8. What does it mean to you to enter into a profession? (1500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
T

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There is rumor going on that if UMD had offered undergraduate acceptance and the applicant turned it down , went elsewhere for premed and apply for medical school , then UMD simply rejects them irrespective of how strong their application is. Is this true? Can some current UMD med school students confirm or deny this? There are a few cases to validate this which is concerning. Thank you
Nope. UMSOM prefers in-state students, and UMD has a lot of strong Maryland residents who will apply to UMSOM (=> a lot of UMD acceptances), but there is no way that rumor is true. There's no connection between the UMSOM and UMD admissions committees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. UMSOM prefers in-state students, and UMD has a lot of strong Maryland residents who will apply to UMSOM (=> a lot of UMD acceptances), but there is no way that rumor is true. There's no connection between the UMSOM and UMD admissions committees.
Thank you very much

There is rumor going on that if UMD had offered undergraduate acceptance and the applicant turned it down , went elsewhere for premed and apply for medical school , then UMD simply rejects them irrespective of how strong their application is. Is this true? Can some current UMD med school students confirm or deny this? There are a few cases to validate this which is concerning. Thank you
This isn’t true for me. I turned down UMD for undergrad and went out of state. I was accepted in the last cycle and I’ll be starting at UMSOM in a month and a half.

This isn’t true for me. I turned down UMD for undergrad and went out of state. I was accepted in the last cycle and I’ll be starting at UMSOM in a month and a half.
It is a big relief to know . Thank you. Are you instate ?

I went to Maryland for medical school and I did not attend undergrad in the university system. The undergraduate colleges (of which there are more than one—college park, UMBC, eastern shore) are entirely separate. They do not even have the same leadership.

There is an extreme in-state bias at Maryland Med as well. We pull primarily from in-state applicants. That’s the likely hurdle for most applicants.

I went to Maryland for medical school and I did not attend undergrad in the university system. The undergraduate colleges (of which there are more than one—college park, UMBC, eastern shore) are entirely separate. They do not even have the same leadership.

There is an extreme in-state bias at Maryland Med as well. We pull primarily from in-state applicants. That’s the likely hurdle for most applicants.
Thank you . That’s nice to hear. We are instate.

Thanks. True for MD/Ph.D as well? How many students to they take for their MD/Ph.D program? Thanks in advance!
MD/PhD is a different ball game. There’s no in-state bias. Take a spot wherever you can get one.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary received. See y'all there

1. If you’ve experienced academic problems while in college and/or graduate or professional school please describe and explain below. Please be sure to include withdrawals, incompletes, poor grades, etc. (1000 characters)

2. If a specific medical school application activity was impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, please describe the activity, the time period during which it was to take place, and any relevant contact information. (1000 characters)

3. Please explain what you will be doing during the 2022-2023 academic year. If you graduated/will graduate in 2022, what are your plans during this gap year? (1000 characters)

4. Please let us know if you have a specific reason you are interested in attending the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and/or if you have any special ties to our institution (optional). (1000 characters)

5. Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine. (1500 characters)

6. Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service. (1500 characters)

7. Without limiting the discussion to your own identity, please describe how you envision contributing to the core values of diversity and inclusion at our School of Medicine, and in the medical profession. (1500 characters)

8. What does it mean to you to enter into a profession? (1500 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
Found my invite Spam. Everyone please check ur spam folder

Hey all, for the description field under the paid work experience section (which why does this section even exist) did you just put the job title or an actual description? The text box seems way too small for a job description.

Last edited:
Hey all, for the description field under the paid work experience section (which why does this section even exist) did you just put the job title or an actual description? The text box seems way too small for a job description.
I just did title

I still haven't received a secondary, is this a mistake / should I contact admissions or is this normal???
Updating my own thread in case anyone else had this issue: just called admissions and they claimed to have sent it on 7/9 but I literally have no history of receiving a secondary in any folder whatsoever ... emailing admissions to get it sorted out

I just checked my spam and found my secondary... FYI

For the:
Have you previously met or attended/seen a presentation by a University of Maryland School of Medicine Admissions
staff member at an open house, college fair, conference, school visit, etc.?

Should I list I saw the presentation on my interview day previously as I am a reapplicant? @wysdoc

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed in the portal that the day your letters were marked received has changed? Or have I finally lost my mind lol

Soooo I currently live in baltimore for a job. Lived here for 8 months so far. Do you think I could say I am in state to be considered for UMD in state?

y

Schools consider you as in-state if you applied as in-state on AMCAS so you can’t double dip. If you want to be a maryland resident that requires you to have a maryland license, vehicle registration, be a maryland tax payer etc. But UMD is one of those schools that allow you to have in-state tuition after the first year of med school if you change your residency status and as with all schools Maryland state ties should probably help.
Interesting, I have another state residency on my application. So its really hard to get into UMD out of state then right?

Uh guys, how did you answer this question:
"What does it mean to you to enter into a profession? (1500 characters) "

Am I suppose to talk about medicine? Should I keep what I say general or apply it to my life? I just find this a weird question

Uh guys, how did you answer this question:
"What does it mean to you to enter into a profession? (1500 characters) "

Am I suppose to talk about medicine? Should I keep what I say general or apply it to my life? I just find this a weird question

I'm not sure how well my response to that essay prompt will be received but for mine, I wrote about a particular restaurant and the dedication of the person who founded it. I wrote about how the qualities that led to that establishment being world-renowned are similar to the qualities that make for a good doctor; professionalism being a dedication to the work more so than just the job, etc.

I thought it would be good to tie in another example of professionalism and relate that to medicine. Analogy is a great way to convey a complicated idea in a small word/character limit. Maybe you could write about someone or something that you feel embodies that word and explain why? I don't think you necessarily have to tie it back to medicine, since pretty much everything else you've written up to that point is steeped in medicine anyway. They want to get a sense of what you value as a profession or career with this essay (I think. I'm not an adcom so take everything I say with a grain of salt lol).

I'm not sure how well my response to that essay prompt will be received but for mine, I wrote about a particular restaurant and the dedication of the person who founded it. I wrote about how the qualities that led to that establishment being world-renowned are similar to the qualities that make for a good doctor; professionalism being a dedication to the work more so than just the job, etc.

I thought it would be good to tie in another example of professionalism and relate that to medicine. Analogy is a great way to convey a complicated idea in a small word/character limit. Maybe you could write about someone or something that you feel embodies that word and explain why? I don't think you necessarily have to tie it back to medicine, since pretty much everything else you've written up to that point is steeped in medicine anyway. They want to get a sense of what you value as a profession or career with this essay (I think. I'm not an adcom so take everything I say with a grain of salt lol).
Do you think its a good idea to have concrete examples or can I just talk about the meta of it and keep it vague? Like should I link it back to one job I've done and talk about what it means to entire profession there or I can keep it vague and generalized

Do you think its a good idea to have concrete examples or can I just talk about the meta of it and keep it vague? Like should I link it back to one job I've done and talk about what it means to entire profession there or I can keep it vague and generalized

Other people are welcome to chime in on this but personally I think a good concrete example would be best. I'd start with a concrete example and then after establishing that, I'd generalize it out to the entire profession. Start narrow and end broad. Having a specific example at the beginning of the essay would probably quickly grab attention and let the reader know where you're going with the answer; even if you do address the prompt later on in the essay, the longer the reviewer is holding onto the question of where you're going with your essay, the less impactful it'll be in the end I think. Not to mention, I'm sure a ton of secondaries will be vague and nebulous and ultimately lack substance when addressing this prompt (the word "profession" can be a bit of a buzzword after all so it kinda lends itself to that). The more you can make your essay stand out from the fluffy ones, the more appealing and memorable it'll be to whoever is reading it

Hello! Probably being a bit too anxious for my own good, but my LORs were marked completed 8/16 when I checked yesterday (the date has changed three times now). I know some people previously mentioned their dates also changed, but wanted to see if others had dates as recent as four days ago. Wish they would just start sending out the IIs:cryi:

I was curious so when I checked my date was updated too but I assume it’s because my preview exam scores were released that day. Could that have been the reason why for you as well?
Maybe! I haven't taken PREview yet so maybe not...

Is preview required for UMSOM? I thought it wasn’t

Has anyone gotten into this school with multiple MCAT attempts? I know it says that you’re at a disadvantage in regards to MCAT if you take it more than 2 times

Has anyone gotten into this school with multiple MCAT attempts? I know it says that you’re at a disadvantage in regards to MCAT if you take it more than 2 times
I have taken in three times: 8/2019—500, 1/2020–512, and 8/2021–513

I have taken in three times: 8/2019—500, 1/2020–512, and 8/2021–513
This is what info was available on MSAR:
  • All lifetime scores are visible to the adcoms.
  • MCAT scores are reviewed as a single factor in a multifactorial holistic review process. The MCAT score is also placed into context of the applicant's background and life experiences.
  • With respect to the score itself, scores over 500 are generally viewed as a "Pass". The MCAT score is also placed into context of the applicant's background and life experiences.
Not quite the answer to your question but I hope it provides some insight.

so ive been sitting on this secondary for about a month and now I'm debating if its even worth it to apply, esp bc I'm Canadian and it's kind of late. anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be worth it?

so ive been sitting on this secondary for about a month and now I'm debating if its even worth it to apply, esp bc I'm Canadian and it's kind of late. anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be worth it?
Don’t worry about the 2 week deadline, it’s just a rough imaginary deadline that people on SDN have. If you’ve written a quality secondary and think you have a chance then submit. Quality matters over time of submission. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t worry about the 2 week deadline, it’s just a rough imaginary deadline that people on SDN have. If you’ve written a quality secondary and think you have a chance then submit. Quality matters over time of submission. Good luck
Thank u!!!

OOS II today! 513 3.8x ORM, live in a bordering state, nothing too special about my application

complete 7/10

Reactions: 3 users