2022-2023 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For question 3 can I use an example of something that happened to me as a child that I only began to regret later on in life (high school?) or is this too far back? I was bullied for being bilingual in Chinese and refused to speak it again and ended up forgetting how to speak. It has been one of my biggest regrets.
Go for it, but I’d talk about how it has impacted you today, and what you would do differently if it happened today, like showing growth I think is the most important part of this essay

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For question 3 can I use an example of something that happened to me as a child that I only began to regret later on in life (high school?) or is this too far back? I was bullied for being bilingual in Chinese and refused to speak it again and ended up forgetting how to speak. It has been one of my biggest regrets.
I mean I think you could use it. I used a later one to be safe, but I feel it wouldn't be too bad to use an older one if it is good.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that story shows a lot about your state of mind and how you have grown. Also include how you plan to use this lesson to positively impact other things in your life going forward. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
On the portal does it just says complete. Does anyone's state "under review?"

Anyone else apply to all three campuses? I think having a class size of 20-25 would actually be pretty awesome.

Anyone else apply to all three campuses? I think having a class size of 20-25 would actually be pretty awesome.
the other two campuses take like 90% in state i heard

I received a secondary a while ago, do you mean an interview?

Still no IIs?! They must be behind

Members don't see this ad :)
I met with admissions and they said they actually only consider your first option unless you seem to be a better fit for the primary care focus of the other 2 campuses which then your app gets sent to them and they will decide. I was told to only choose one and there is no benefit for adding multiple

I just realized MCW requires advanced bio as prereq, which I don't have. I never knew schools required advanced bio!!!! I guess I will have to take a course if they happen to interview me

I just realized MCW requires advanced bio as prereq, which I don't have. I never knew schools required advanced bio!!!! I guess I will have to take a course if they happen to interview me

You haven’t taken any upper level biology classes? Per the website, courses like anatomy and microbiology count as advanced level biology.

You haven’t taken any upper level biology classes? Per the website, courses like anatomy and microbiology count as advanced level biology.
Nope 😭😭😭 took like 4 advanced chem courses though. Not a fan of bio so I only took a year of gen bio

I can only assume that all
of our applications are so strong that MCW is unable to narrow anyone down for an interview.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 35 users
Hi guys how long did it take to receive a secondary here?

So I looked back at a few threads for MCW, seems like the first IIs have historically gone out on Tuesdays, and always before September. That could change this year, but my guess is that next Tuesday is the big day.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
While you wait for interviews, I'm a current M1 willing to answer any questions you've got!

Reactions: 3 users
While you wait for interviews, I'm a current M1 willing to answer any questions you've got!
Thanks for doing this!

Is there a new curriculum being implemented in Fall 2023?

Thank you!! My apologies for this onslaught of questions

What’s your favorite thing about MCW so far? What are opportunities to get engaged in the local community like? How (relatively) easy or difficult to get engaged with specific clinical research/ interests?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer these!

Thanks for doing this!

The answer to this is yes. It’s called fusion lot more case-based group learning than before and they’ve changed the pathways. Tbh I think they got rid of them and made something new/re named them. This is why they aren’t taking internationals this cycle b/c you have to get thru a big process to get approved for international students when your curriculum changes

What’s your favorite thing about MCW so far? What are opportunities to get engaged in the local community like? How (relatively) easy or difficult to get engaged with specific clinical research/ interests?

Sorry I’m stealing the replies. But there’s a lot of research opportunities. Most students do the summer research program between M1 and M2 year. You do research all summer and get a stipend. There’s plenty of labs to join you simply just have to reach out to faculty to get involved. You also get to pick a preceptor (or they will assign it if you don’t pick yourself) who you go shadow once a week during your M1 and part of M2 year. There’s also a research track where you either have to get a 1st author pub or do a thesis and you’ll get honors in research on your diploma. Plus you can do a research elective during M3 rotations.

Local community wise, there is a student run clinic you can volunteer at M1 year. There are community service student run organizations. Lots of students tutor. Pretty sure service is mandatory as of this year too.

Personally I think the best thing about MCW is the Froedert and Childrens are connected to the school so you don’t have to go off site. When you do your M3 rotations, the other hospitals are within 15 minutes which is so nice. Lectures aren’t mandatory minus anatomy lab, no dress code on campus. Housing is affordable around the campus in some nice neighborhoods too.

*I don’t go here but I’ve lived here since my bf moved here for med school, he’s an M3 now. I’ve worked at the med school the past 2 years, & I’m applying this cycle so I happen to know a lot (good & bad)

Sorry I’m stealing the replies. But there’s a lot of research opportunities. Most students do the summer research program between M1 and M2 year. You do research all summer and get a stipend. There’s plenty of labs to join you simply just have to reach out to faculty to get involved. You also get to pick a preceptor (or they will assign it if you don’t pick yourself) who you go shadow once a week during your M1 and part of M2 year. There’s also a research track where you either have to get a 1st author pub or do a thesis and you’ll get honors in research on your diploma. Plus you can do a research elective during M3 rotations.

Local community wise, there is a student run clinic you can volunteer at M1 year. There are community service student run organizations. Lots of students tutor. Pretty sure service is mandatory as of this year too.

Personally I think the best thing about MCW is the Froedert and Childrens are connected to the school so you don’t have to go off site. When you do your M3 rotations, the other hospitals are within 15 minutes which is so nice. Lectures aren’t mandatory minus anatomy lab, no dress code on campus. Housing is affordable around the campus in some nice neighborhoods too.

*I don’t go here but I’ve lived here since my bf moved here for med school, he’s an M3 now. I’ve worked at the med school the past 2 years, & I’m applying this cycle so I happen to know a lot (good & bad)
Does that research during the summer aspect change with the new curriculum change?

Does that research during the summer aspect change with the new curriculum change?
they haven’t full announced it to the public yet at this point but no. There’s still summer research option and there’s a poster symposium presentation at the end. You can do 12 or 8 weeks, most ppl do 12 bc more $$

Thanks for doing this!

As far as I've heard, kind of yes and kind of no. The curriculum will probably be the same (same content) but they're reorganizing it a bit differently. I am not involved in any of that, but some of my M4 friends are, and they said the first year experience may be different next year.

TLDR; yes there's a new organization to the curriculum dropping soon, but it shouldn't be an incredibly drastic change

1) so far i love the pass-fail curriculum (I say with the first MtC quiz approaching this week) since it allows for more free time to be an actual person outside of med school and doesn't create that gunner atmosphere that other schools have. We definitely already do have some gunners in our class, but most people are very chill and aim to be a well-rounded person instead of drowning in med school. Plus Milwaukee is a fantastic place to go to school, the flexibility of classes is amazing (I usually watch lectures virtually since everything is recorded), and the academic enhancement materials for each class that comes out each week provides a week-by-week study guide to show you what is high yield and what is not.

2) So far there have been a lot of opportunities presented. During orientation week everyone will have a service day with your small group where you volunteer your time for a few hours at an assigned site--for me, it was the women's shelter. It basically introduces you to community work here, and is followed by the activities fair and the Saturday Clinic application where you have your pick of the litter what you want to get involved in.

3) I haven't poked around research yet, but from what I've been hearing from M2s, M3s, and M4s, it is ridiculously easy. MCW is such a small school with a wide range of ongoing research, so you pretty much just have to go to the list of ongoing projects and choose 1, email, and you'll probably get in on it.

Reactions: 6 users
seems like only one II reported yesterday?

That's interesting I didn't know IIs can go out on weekends

That's interesting I didn't know IIs can go out on weekends
for future reference, MCW has sent out rejections, interviews, acceptances, etc at any and all hours of the day and night. I received my interview at 3am (Wisconsin time) on a Saturday morning, and my A came through at 11:45pm on a Thursday night. So when it comes to predicting when you'll hear back, don't lose sleep over it. In state, out of state, stats, timing, or any other metrics cannot be used to predict who they'll choose. Best of luck!

Reactions: 11 users
they said they strictly review applications in the order they receive. I submitted 6/30, If you haven't received an II and you submitted it on the first day available, does this mean most likely you won't get an II?

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
they said they strictly review applications in the order they receive. I submitted 6/30, If you haven't received an II and you submitted it on the first day available, does this mean most likely you won't get an II?
Is this chronological review order confirmed? If so, where?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users