2022-2023 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II invite sent 9/6. OOS, complete 7/2. LM 71

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
they said they strictly review applications in the order they receive. I submitted 6/30, If you haven't received an II and you submitted it on the first day available, does this mean most likely you won't get an II?
Also, if this is confirmed, I assume they do it by what date your entire app was completed? Because I turned in my secondary in early July, but my CASPER wasn't received until August, so I didn't actually get the "your app is complete" email until 8/13 :cryi:

Also, if this is confirmed, I assume they do it by what date your entire app was completed? Because I turned in my secondary in early July, but my CASPER wasn't received until August, so I didn't actually get the "your app is complete" email until 8/13 :cryi:
*cries in complete 6/29* :cryi:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes they LOOK at apps, but dont invite or reject necessarily in that order. I submitted as early as possible, thought I was ghosted for months, got a 3am II in the winter, and was considered an "early admit" because I got an A before Christmas. Many of my classmates got an II and an A later on in the cycle. The more you try to predict when IIs get rolled out, the more hopeless it seems. MCW chooses and invites people based on an unknown set of criteria and on their own schedule.

Reactions: 19 users
Yes they LOOK at apps, but dont invite or reject necessarily in that order. I submitted as early as possible, thought I was ghosted for months, got a 3am II in the winter, and was considered an "early admit" because I got an A before Christmas. Many of my classmates got an II and an A later on in the cycle. The more you try to predict when IIs get rolled out, the more hopeless it seems. MCW chooses and invites people based on an unknown set of criteria and on their own schedule.
Thank you for the enlightenment! Good to know that they at LEAST look!

I know you mentioned you are a MS1, but are you considering completing the 3 year curriculum instead of the 4 full years? And for your upperclassmen friends that may be following the 3 years schedule, how does that impact their studying for boards and preparing for residency applications?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I know you mentioned you are a MS1, but are you considering completing the 3 year curriculum instead of the 4 full years? And for your upperclassmen friends that may be following the 3 years schedule, how does that impact their studying for boards and preparing for residency applications?
the 3 year program is only available at the regional campuses (green bay & central WI) which are more geared towards primary care and 80% of the class are WI residents. To my knowledge, there is no option for the 3 year at the main Milwaukee campus

• Dislike
the 3 year program is only available at the regional campuses (green bay & central WI) which are more geared towards primary care and 80% of the class are WI residents. To my knowledge, there is no option for the 3 year at the main Milwaukee campus
Yes! Thank you for the reminder!

Didn’t know which campus @hawkflock was a part of…Just wanted to know how his classmates (if any) are handling the curriculum with boards if they are at Green Bay/Central!

For sure, im curious how it affects their residency application as well
Yes! Thank you for the reminder!

Didn’t know which campus @hawkflock was a part of…Just wanted to know how his classmates (if any) are handling the curriculum with boards if they are at Green Bay/Central!

I am a WI resident, but am not interested in rural medicine and so only applied and matriculated to the main MKE campus. If anything I would consider adding a year and an MPH. From my understanding, the satellite campuses are a primary care and rural med pipeline, and try to keep their students in the state as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
II invite sent 9/6. OOS, complete 7/2. LM 71
II received 9/6
OOS, LM 71, WARS 76, ORM
complete 6/29
II received today
+1 (II, OOS) complete 7/1!!
I have my interview scheduled for 09/23. Do you guys wanna practice together?
Also, how do we meet with students who are already at MCW to get feedback on their experiences at the school and interview?

While you wait for interviews, I'm a current M1 willing to answer any questions you've got!
Hey, Thank you so much for doing this.
Any insight on how to prepare for their interview (it is my first and only interview so far, so I need to prep for it as much as I can)
I saw on SDN previously asked interview questions? what do you think other than those should I focus on?
Thank you so much again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my interview scheduled for 09/23. Do you guys wanna practice together?
Also, how do we meet with students who are already at MCW to get feedback on their experiences at the school and interview?

Hey, Thank you so much for doing this.
Any insight on how to prepare for their interview (it is my first and only interview so far, so I need to prep for it as much as I can)
I saw on SDN previously asked interview questions? what do you think other than those should I focus on?
Thank you so much again.
I was also my first interview! second invite overall, but the first one I attended.

MCW interview tips: don't stress it! Be professional, be respectful, but BE YOURSELF. You'll have two interviewers, each I believe for 30-45 mins. The time goes by quick, so be concise when you're speaking, but BE YOURSELF. I keep stressing that because MCW looks for the individual rather than the stats, and personality is a big thing. I had an M4 and a resident physician as my interviewer, and both went very well-we mostly just made conversation rather than discussing my app. If you can, try to find some common ground to make them remember you a bit more and relax the flow of the discussion. My student interviewer and I didn't have much in common and the interview began a bit choppy, but we found out we share a love for a specific sport and actually competed at the same event 4 years prior. From there, the flow just happened naturally.

You already know your strengths and weaknesses, but so does MCW--thats why they're interviewing you. Theres like an 80% acceptance rate from the interviews, so focus on not giving them a reason to reject you and you're golden. The day is LONG--8am to 4/5pm if I remember correctly, so be prepared to battle zoom fatigue. I don't think I asked any questions in the large group sessions nor did I attend the optional activity between group programming and my interview, and I don't think it hurt me at all. Definitely do send a thank you afterwards--people say that it doesn't impact decision, but honestly if anything would help it would be that. Make it a little bit personal based on your discussion with your interviewer, be concise, and BE YOURSELF.

If you can I'd say practice a mock interview with someone, but I wouldn't stress yourself out too much about it. Best of luck, and I may see you around campus next year! Also if you have any other questions feel free to ask

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I was also my first interview! second invite overall, but the first one I attended.

MCW interview tips: don't stress it! Be professional, be respectful, but BE YOURSELF. You'll have two interviewers, each I believe for 30-45 mins. The time goes by quick, so be concise when you're speaking, but BE YOURSELF. I keep stressing that because MCW looks for the individual rather than the stats, and personality is a big thing. I had an M4 and a resident physician as my interviewer, and both went very well-we mostly just made conversation rather than discussing my app. If you can, try to find some common ground to make them remember you a bit more and relax the flow of the discussion. My student interviewer and I didn't have much in common and the interview began a bit choppy, but we found out we share a love for a specific sport and actually competed at the same event 4 years prior. From there, the flow just happened naturally.

You already know your strengths and weaknesses, but so does MCW--thats why they're interviewing you. Theres like an 80% acceptance rate from the interviews, so focus on not giving them a reason to reject you and you're golden. The day is LONG--8am to 4/5pm if I remember correctly, so be prepared to battle zoom fatigue. I don't think I asked any questions in the large group sessions nor did I attend the optional activity between group programming and my interview, and I don't think it hurt me at all. Definitely do send a thank you afterwards--people say that it doesn't impact decision, but honestly if anything would help it would be that. Make it a little bit personal based on your discussion with your interviewer, be concise, and BE YOURSELF.

If you can I'd say practice a mock interview with someone, but I wouldn't stress yourself out too much about it. Best of luck, and I may see you around campus next year! Also if you have any other questions feel free to ask
Did you send your thank you in the form of an email?

II this morning. Complete 7/10, OOS URM

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
First R of the cycle!! Woo!!! 🥳🥳
Completed 6/29/22. 512, URM, Texas, 3.95 gpa, no research. No ties. I attached a LOR signed by the entire Green Bay Packers from 2003 to 2022. I guess it wasn’t enough. Oh well! Can’t win them all! :D

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 21 users
Completed 6/29/22. 512, URM, Texas, 3.95 gpa, no research. No ties. I attached a LOR signed by the entire Green Bay Packers from 2003 to 2022. I guess it wasn’t enough. Oh well! Can’t win them all! :D
This cracked me up. Sorry about the R Thiccy! With all your interviews I'm sure you'll land on your feet. I think I can speak for the group and say that we are glad you only have one butt to fill one seat in a med school! ; )

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
This cracked me up. Sorry about the R Thiccy! With all your interviews I'm sure you'll land on your feet. I think I can speak for the group and say that we are glad you only have one butt to fill one seat in a med school! ; )
Thanks ye! I only applied so that I could eat at Culver’s! It’s pretty good!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks ye! I only applied so that I could eat at Culver’s! It’s pretty good!
1663174437773.png

Culver's is goated, and Minnesota rejected me even though I drafted Justin Jefferson in 3 of my fantasy leagues. SMH.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
Has most II come from Milwaukee? Anyone get II from CW campus?

For question 3 can I use an example of something that happened to me as a child that I only began to regret later on in life (high school?) or is this too far back? I was bullied for being bilingual in Chinese and refused to speak it again and ended up forgetting how to speak. It has been one of my biggest regrets.
I think this is really unique and relatable - I had a similar experience...never thought of it this way!

II just now for Central Wisconsin. OOS. complete 7/14 and LM 71. (high GPA, average MCAT) and guys I’m living proof that you can have a typo in your secondaries and still receive an II, lol. I’m a little concerned though. They only had one date available for interviewing, but it’s a day I’ll be traveling. I need to decide between emailing them or just changing around plans.

Reactions: 6 users
II just now for Central Wisconsin. OOS. complete 7/14 and LM 71. (high GPA, average MCAT) and guys I’m living proof that you can have a typo in your secondaries and still receive an II, lol. I’m a little concerned though. They only had one date available for interviewing, but it’s a day I’ll be traveling. I need to decide between emailing them or just changing around plans.
do you have any ties to wisconsin? i heard the other campuses are mostly IS.

do you have any ties to wisconsin? i heard the other campuses are mostly IS.
I also heard that! Based off of what the secondary application said, it’s only about 4-5 OOS students at this campus. I do have ties, but I’d say they are very loose. My mom lived near central wisconsin when she was a kid and I mentioned that in my application, but we currently don’t have any family living in the state anymore.

OOS II for the central Wisconsin campus. Haha I wasn’t expecting that super early on a Saturday morning

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Can you share specific questions that were asked?
I don’t know about MCW but most schools have you sign a non-disclosure agreement, so I’m guessing they can’t

Can you share specific questions that were asked?
No, schools you interview with will have you sign NDAs. Given that MCW is a traditional interview rather than an MMI, just do standard interview prep and you'll be good

Just interviewed at MCW! It was a fantastic experience! The students were one of the most relaxed I have met and the interviewers were so nice and made it a really welcoming environment.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey yall for the why MCW question. I dont know where to start. Any suggestions, I dont know much about wisconsin

IS Applicant - got the "cycle update" email just now. I'm torn between being thankful they acknowledged my completed app and heartbroken that it wasn't an interview invite. It sounds like they are just getting started sending out IIs, so hopefully we will see many more soon. Good luck, everybody!

Reactions: 26 users
IS Applicant - got the "cycle update" email just now. I'm torn between being thankful they acknowledged my completed app and heartbroken that it wasn't an interview invite. It sounds like they are just getting started sending out IIs, so hopefully we will see many more soon. Good luck, everybody!
This is interesting, would you mind sharing complete date and the content of the email? Is it kind of like a hold email?

I just got a "Cycle Update" email that I guess is better than a rejection, but I will be billing MCW for emotional damage.

• Haha
Reactions: 25 users