2022-2023 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
changed to the scored status for MD-MPH, first time seeing it that way since complete on 8/1

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, bottom quartile for CASPER. Good app overall. Am I screwed?

Has anyone with a 1st quartile CASPER been scored yet?

Submitted June 29th and still under review

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe they're taking a good hard look at our stuff. Appreciate your positivity!
UM is a pretty research-heavy school and stats are almost everything at UM. I am an IS applicant who volunteered and even did research at UM, so it was not surprising to see their focus on academics lol. But they are growing and advancing in medicine, so diversity in their community is a huge plus for an applicant. The story is, the ones who got scored much earlier are likely the ones who got stats that are high and those who are median or lower are being carefully reviewed beyond just stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UM is a pretty research-heavy school and stats are almost everything at UM. I am an IS applicant who volunteered and even did research at UM, so it was not surprising to see their focus on academics lol. But they are growing and advancing in medicine, so diversity in their community is a huge plus for an applicant. The story is, the ones who got scored much earlier are likely the ones who got stats that are high and those who are median or lower are being carefully reviewed beyond just stats.
cries in 51(5-8), multiple pubs, and years of research and still under review

although i suppose thats actually pretty close to their median so i take it back

although i suppose thats actually pretty close to their median so i take it back
I was also told that there were issues with the portal and that many people were supposed to have a scored message on the status.

lol UM is also doing things randomly, so it has always been hard to figure out what their schedule is like.
agreed. and i forgot to send them my casper until like 3 weeks after i applied. i sent in my app 6/28 and was all proud of myself for doing it so early but then i realized legit 7/22 that i never sent my casper. its weird that there wasnt anything on the portal for it though. i feel like i will either be reviewed as if i submitted 7/22 but im like hoping they looked before they saw my casper hahaha

I was also told that there were issues with the portal and that many people were supposed to have a scored message on the status.
oh really? interesting. I almost want to email them to make sure my app is complete bc my casper was missing for so long but i dont want to pester them

Just throwing this out there but I know someone that got it with a 2.7 and 504 URM. Very good at networking

Reactions: 2 users
Just throwing this out there but I know someone that got it with a 2.7 and 504 URM. Very good at networking
Most larger schools will have a few people in this boat. Stats aren’t everything!

lol yeah, UM trying to increase their diversity a bit and not look at high stats as everything. As long as you connect with them well or have some kind of tie to them, they are willing to consider you.

lol yeah, UM trying to increase their diversity a bit and not look at high stats as everything. As long as you connect with them well or have some kind of tie to them, they are willing to consider you.
and I think thats exactly what you were mentioning :) UM's mindset, if you arent that high stat/high research applicant, lets look at what else you bring as I am sure you have lots to offer

Same except 510 MCAT. Well over 2000 hours of cancer research and a couple pubs. Still not scored.

I think they made their secondary long to scare some people away and test those who are truly willing to go there. Same with Duke (their secondary is a nightmare to write lol)

Reactions: 1 users
I think they made their secondary long to scare some people away and test those who are truly willing to go there. Same with Duke (their secondary is a nightmare to write lol)
I liked that they actually seemed to care about you aside from your stats. They recognize that you're a human being lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve heard they care a lot of about CASPER, does this mean my 1st quartile has no chance? I’m still under review submitted 7/15

I put off Miami's secondary till now because of how long it was and I just saw their website's FAQ page which says they want it received within 2 weeks 😅 does anyone think its worth completing still? I'm OOS and its near the 5 week mark...

I put off Miami's secondary till now because of how long it was and I just saw their website's FAQ page which says they want it received within 2 weeks 😅 does anyone think its worth completing still? I'm OOS and its near the 5 week mark...
If you have a strong tie to the school or have a great experience that meets the school's mission and functionality, then I would certainly apply (assuming your stats are good enough to apply a little later than other applicants.) Even though stats are just part of your apps, I think UM gets so many applications to review, and being later means fighting for a few seats. They are somewhat OOS friendly being a private school, but they have this internal preference for IS applicants.

I put off Miami's secondary till now because of how long it was and I just saw their website's FAQ page which says they want it received within 2 weeks does anyone think its worth completing still? I'm OOS and its near the 5 week mark...

Rip I just submit it . Had it for a while

I haven't submitted mine either, I think we are fine, it will be a 4-week submission turnaround for me, but well worth it for good essays.

stats definitely isn't everything at UM, they're one of the more holistic schools in FL tbh

here's a pic i found from an old thread, it may be outdated so idk if they still use this same system but stats have usually been abt 1/3 of your app during review here
C7001AA3-9052-4D63-9357-BE60EF2BB7F8 (1).jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
What year was this? Because I've since heard that the lowest mcat that they accept is a 505.

uuhhhhh why my status now green? also did it always say
Your Application to the UM Miller School of Medicine is complete and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

When I last applied, there were a few statuses so the first one was like "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine"

Then it turned into "Your Application to the UM Miller School of Medicine is complete and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee."

And eventually something like "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March"

It's a completely different message rn though, it just says "Your application is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee." for MD/MPH and then the second status for MD.
aha thank you for this

uuhhhhh why my status now green? also did it always say
Your Application to the UM Miller School of Medicine is complete and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
when did you submit your secondary? trying to figure out where they are 😅

site down for anyone else? i wonder if interviews👀

Reactions: 2 users
Site is also down for me

It says it is due to technical issues though, so I don't think we should read too much into it lol

Got scored! I hadn’t checked in awhile though so I don’t know when exactly my status changed. Was complete 7/6!