You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Pittsburgh
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
A podcast I listened to this morning said overall applications are down by 6% this year compared to November last year. But some schools, like Pitt, are up.
Anyone else get anxiety with the news that decisions are delayed and a record number of apps were received?! Oh wait... I always have anxiety. 😛
Anyone else get anxiety with the news that decisions are delayed and a record number of apps were received?! Oh wait... I always have anxiety. 😛
W
Was the record number info in an email?A podcast I listened to this morning said overall applications are down by 6% this year compared to November last year. But some schools, like Pitt, are up.
Anyone else get anxiety with the news that decisions are delayed and a record number of apps were received?! Oh wait... I always have anxiety. 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, information about Pitt receiving a record number of apps and delaying decisions by ~2 weeks was in an email interviewees received this morning.W
Was the record number info in an email?
Info about apps overall being down 6% was in the All Access Med School Admissions podcast by CWRU. Great podcast!
Last cycle I waited 5 months and 1 day from interview date to getting a WLFor those keeping track at home, it will be a full seven months between the first II going out and decisions actually being released
Applying Early Decision this year let me condense that stress and it luckily paid off, something to consider for anyone that ends up in the same position
II just now! Complete 8/16, OOS URM
edit: interviews being scheduled out to mid-Jan now
edit: interviews being scheduled out to mid-Jan now
Last edited:
D
deleted1077590
congrats! but Jesus theyre usually DONE with all interviews by December lmao (at least last year they were)II just now! Complete 8/16, OOS URM
edit: interviews being scheduled out to mid-Jan now
anyone complete after sept 1 receive a pre-II R? seems like they stopped the R wave at Aug 31
Cognizqnt reported....Pre-II R today 🙁 - 9/13 complete
lilypad1511
Full Member
I remember seeing a mid September complete (9/13 maybe?) pre-II R from the first R wave. Everything else though looks like up to end of August but there’s a lot of reporting the R with no complete dateanyone complete after sept 1 receive a pre-II R? seems like they stopped the R wave at Aug 31
I was actually complete 7/13 not 9/13 - I just realized i made a mistake, sorry 🙁Cognizqnt reported....
Thank you for updating, this signals 9/X folks might be under review about now.
moonika0513
New Member
Hello, I went to the PTSP session and registered for the program but didn't make up my mind yet. Would it look bad on my regular MD application if I ended up not submitting my PTSP application? Thanks!
Pre-II R. complete 7/8.
Sorry to hear that. Did u just get the email?Pre-II R. complete 7/8.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got an II today and there were two remaining dates available - the 12th and 13th of January. Not sure how many actual spots within each though!Does anyone want to have a friend call and ask if it is more interviews given or just more time reviewing?
Last edited:
Congrats! When did u submit?I just got an II today and there were two remaining dates available - the 12th and 13th of January. Not sure how many actual spots within each though
Thank you so much! 8/4!Congrats! When did u submit?
anyone complete after sept 1 receive a pre-II R? seems like they stopped the R wave at Aug 31
Early Sept submitter and silence here as well.
Have yet to interview at Pitt but general advice from my other interviews:Attending the first and only interview I got so far this week. Any suggestions and last-minute tips, please? my CV is research heavy and so far I am fortunate to be part of 3 papers published.
Obvious: come prepared to talk extensively about anything and everything on your 1* and 2* applications.
Less obvious: spend time preparing good questions for your interviewers--specific Qs about their research, Qs related to their career path, Qs about their role at the university or how the university supports their endeavors, or just general Qs about science/medicine which their background/work uniquely suits them to answer. I find that I often have time to ask many more Qs than I would have expected previously, and coming ready with a handful of thoughtful questions turns the interview into a conversation and lets you uniquely showcase your curiosity, interests, and aspirations
just my $0.02
hotbeefsammy
Full Member
Good luck! The first two interviews were more of a vibe check than anything. The faculty interviewer did read my app thoughtfully and had specific questions about the activities, but the student interviewer was blind to my app I think. Both were blind to mcat/gpa I believe, and the interviewers seemed very genuine and unbiased. I think they mentioned that they go through specific training for this, which is kinda cool.Attending the first and only interview I got so far this week. Any suggestions and last-minute tips, please? my CV is research heavy and so far I am fortunate to be part of 3 papers published.
For the group session, don't treat it the same as Casper. No offense to some of my fellow interviewees, but some of y'all could not deviate from a script, and it is hard to build off what you say if you dont take a stance. It is okay to have opinions, questions, etc. There isn't a right answer, but it seemed like our group got derailed because everyone was trying to give non-answers.
D
deleted1117431
Couldn’t agree more on the group sessions. Some people were absolute bots and the entire “conversation” seemed forced and unenjoyable … it was not dynamic and people really sounded like they had an agenda. don’t be that person, just be normalGood luck! The first two interviews were more of a vibe check than anything. The faculty interviewer did read my app thoughtfully and had specific questions about the activities, but the student interviewer was blind to my app I think. Both were blind to mcat/gpa I believe, and the interviewers seemed very genuine and unbiased. I think they mentioned that they go through specific training for this, which is kinda cool.
For the group session, don't treat it the same as Casper. No offense to some of my fellow interviewees, but some of y'all could not deviate from a script, and it is hard to build off what you say if you dont take a stance. It is okay to have opinions, questions, etc. There isn't a right answer, but it seemed like our group got derailed because everyone was trying to give non-answers.
Thank you for the advice! Were you able to see who your interviewee was beforehand?Have yet to interview at Pitt but general advice from my other interviews:
Obvious: come prepared to talk extensively about anything and everything on your 1* and 2* applications.
Less obvious: spend time preparing good questions for your interviewers--specific Qs about their research, Qs related to their career path, Qs about their role at the university or how the university supports their endeavors, or just general Qs about science/medicine which their background/work uniquely suits them to answer. I find that I often have time to ask many more Qs than I would have expected previously, and coming ready with a handful of thoughtful questions turns the interview into a conversation and lets you uniquely showcase your curiosity, interests, and aspirations
just my $0.02
NursetoMD23
Full Member
I don't have the answer to this, but i'm in the same situation..Hello, I went to the PTSP session and registered for the program but didn't make up my mind yet. Would it look bad on my regular MD application if I ended up not submitting my PTSP application? Thanks!
Every non-MMI interview I've had thus far I've had at least 15-20 mins before the interview where I know my interviewer's name, and usually you find out who's interviewing you the day before.Thank you for the advice! Were you able to see who your interviewee was beforehand?
I wasn’tThank you for the advice! Were you able to see who your interviewee was beforehand?
goodluckpanda!
Full Member
I don't have the answer to this, but i'm in the same situation..
Pretty sure the admissions processes are totally different so no it would not matter.
BlueRayRay
Full Member
Pre-II R, LM74, WARS84, complete 9/3
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre-II R, OOS, complete beginning of Sept
+1Pre-II R, OOS, complete beginning of Sept
D
deleted1146359
+2. Good luck everyone!
BigFyoochurHendy
Full Member
+3+2. Good luck everyone!
+1Pre-II R complete end of August
D
deleted1135362
Are we given the name of our interviewer before the interview or no?
No
Pre-II R, LM 73, complete 9/7. Good luck everyone!
Came here to ask this lolAre we given the name of our interviewer before the interview or no?
So, to my knowledge my PSTP application (including recommendation letters) were submitted Oct 21, however only last night I received confirmation saying that my PSTP application was now ready for review... is this true for anyone else?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, to my knowledge my PSTP application (including recommendation letters) were submitted Oct 21, however only last night I received confirmation saying that my PSTP application was now ready for review... is this true for anyone else?
Idk but I submitted my PCAT application last night and still got a confirmation email for the PSTP. I made sure I submitted in the right place, which I did, but it looks like their emails may still be a bit wacky.
I’m addition, the text on the PCAT page was still half based on PSTP stuff, which was also a little confusing. All this is to say… it may be a little strange.
thank you for your response. yes, it seems like they r having some technical difficultiesIdk but I submitted my PCAT application last night and still got a confirmation email for the PSTP. I made sure I submitted in the right place, which I did, but it looks like their emails may still be a bit wacky.
I’m addition, the text on the PCAT page was still half based on PSTP stuff, which was also a little confusing. All this is to say… it may be a little strange.
pineapple236
New Member
Can someone please send what their rejection email stated? I'm trying to see if mine was different from others or if they send out a generalized one
Thank you for your interest in attending the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Our Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed the more than 8,700 applications we have received to identify the candidates whose aspirations and accomplishments will prepare them for a successful and rewarding experience as a student at our medical school. In these very competitive times, it becomes increasingly difficult to decide whom to interview, and we must base our decisions on multiple elements of the applicant’s background. Sometimes that means that even outstanding students, like yourself, will not be considered a good match for our program, and it is my sad task to inform you that you were not among those chosen for an interview in this application year.Can someone please send what their rejection email stated? I'm trying to see if mine was different from others or if they send out a generalized one
I applaud the commitment and dedication that have led you to decide to pursue a career in medicine, and I wish you the best in your future career.