2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don’t see any more acceptances other than the 3 reported before. Is the first wave over or haven’t even started? I am so stressed. Has anyone received acceptances lately?
I would imagine it was an initial trickle to test the system because that seemed to happen in previous years
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oof based on previous threads, looks like I’m interviewing for the waitlist most likely. Any current students lurking who I can PM as I’m considering withdrawing the II?

Same here. Got II a week ago but since I’m likely gonna be interviewing for the WL, I’m likely going to decline the invite
 
This might be a dumb question 🥲🥲 but does anyone know if you can take someone with you (like a family member) on the school tour just so they get a chance to see it as well? Thanks!
 
What are the chances January interviews hear back in February ?
Last year decisions came out late February and it seemed January (and some December) interviewees did not get any results. It is my conclusion looking at last year's thread (which itself references older threads) that a January+ interview for SUNY Downstate is an automatic WL at best. (I count not hearing anything until getting an A in May as the same as getting off the hidden waitlist you were on). Sucks, since I haven't even had my interview yet, but it is what it is. They do have WL movement.

Maybe they change things up, but I would not count on it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last year decisions came out late February and it seemed January (and some December) interviewees did not get any results. It is my conclusion looking at last year's thread (which itself references older threads) that a January+ interview for SUNY Downstate is an automatic WL at best. (I count not hearing anything until getting an A in May as the same as getting off the hidden waitlist you were on). Sucks, since I haven't even had my interview yet, but it is what it is. They do have WL movement.

Maybe they change things up, but I would not count on it.
LoL this is so frustrating. I can't imagine waiting 4 mos just to hear back. Totally unfair. And also how sure are we about the Automatic WL ? I saw people in last years thread that applied in March/April that got accepted. Sounds ridiculous that a school interviews for WL only.
 
LoL this is so frustrating. I can't imagine waiting 4 mos just to hear back. Totally unfair. And also how sure are we about the Automatic WL ? I saw people in last years thread that applied in March/April that got accepted. Sounds ridiculous that a school interviews for WL only.
I mentioned in my comment that I consider a May acceptance to be the same as being off the waitlist since May is the start of waitlist movement everywhere. Everyone interviewing from January onwards will likely only hear back in May (A, WL, R). There are no 'in-between' acceptances between February and May, based on historical threads.
 
I know on the portal they have a “Continued Interest” option for document upload but, does anyone know if they accept letters of intent?
 
I mentioned in my comment that I consider a May acceptance to be the same as being off the waitlist since May is the start of waitlist movement everywhere. Everyone interviewing from January onwards will likely only hear back in May (A, WL, R). There are no 'in-between' acceptances between February and May, based on historical threads.
Exactly why I withdrew my II. Not interested in interviewing for WL. I also saw an earlier comment that they treat marginalized students inferiorly (FGLI applicant)
 
Exactly why I withdrew my II. Not interested in interviewing for WL. I also saw an earlier comment that they treat marginalized students inferiorly (FGLI applicant)
Really ? that's so jarring. It isn't a big part of the school's mission statement to help the underserved. It sounds counter-intuitive to mistreat marginalized students. Smh
 
Do you guys think they might release decisions basically any time now? (since its early Feb)
I'm so confused about their timing
 
They outright stated (many, MANY times, on interview day and during information sessions) that nearly all decisions are released in mid-February. Specifically the first - third weeks.

We are not even in the first full week of February.

This thread is very neurotic, unless no one here knew this and everyone is truly in the dark about their timeline.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
same. someone please respond to this if possible
No. They have a list of registered names that they hand to the front security so that you can enter the building. If your partner is not on the list then odds are that they wont let you in. But you can always call the admissions office and ask them.
 
Anyone ask about when results come out during the tour? I know they said ~mid feb but I wanted to ask if someone inquired about this
 
I was unsure of this too, but I brought someone anyways. Security let us both in and in the admissions office (where the tour starts) I just introduced myself and my partner as my "plus one". They seemed to have no hesitation or issue with it, everyone was very nice. I hope you have the same experience!
Yup, security didn't ask for my ID. I said I was there for the tour and they let me in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wait for those who got an II in Dec, does that mean we are interviewing for a waitlist spot? My interview was scheduled much further from the day I got the invite.
 
wait for those who got an II in Dec, does that mean we are interviewing for a waitlist spot? My interview was scheduled much further from the day I got the invite.
depends when your interview invite was, but if mid-january+, then you are interviewing to hear back in May (which is when a lot of schools start waitlist movement)