2022-2023 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @fishymd for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Massachusetts Secondary Essay Prompts

Q1) We would like to learn how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7).
Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).
  • 1) UMass Chan Medical School strives to be a diverse academic community mindful of the fact that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Share your definition of diversity. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMass Chan Medical School community. (Diversity)
  • 2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)
  • 3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)
  • 4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)
  • 5) Have you ever been in the middle of a situation where there was poor communication? What did you do to improve it? (Communication)
  • 6) Describe a time when you have ""thought outside the box"" to solve a problem. (Inquiry)
  • 7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)
Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences.If you are reapplying to T.H. Chan SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application. (250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in T.H. Chan SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMass Chan Medical-Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to T.H. Chan SOM. (200 word limit)

Q4) Why did you apply to T.H. Chan SOM? (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Massachusetts Medical School Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Waiting to get verified. When did the first set of secondaries and interviews go out?

I was verified June 15th and haven't received a secondary yet

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary received. Here are the questions:

@wysdoc
Q1) We would like to learn how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).
  • 1) UMass Chan Medical School strives to be a diverse academic community mindful of the fact that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Share your definition of diversity. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMass Chan Medical School community. (Diversity)

• 2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)

• 3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)

• 4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)

• 5) Have you ever been in the middle of a situation where there was poor communication? What did you do to improve it? (Communication)

• 6) Describe a time when you have ""thought outside the box"" to solve a problem. (Inquiry)

• 7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)
Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences.If you are reapplying to T.H. Chan SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application. (250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in T.H. Chan SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMass Chan Medical-Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to T.H. Chan SOM. (200 word limit)

Q4) Why did you apply to T.H. Chan SOM? (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

Last edited:
Anyone else getting errors when trying to upload a photo? I've tried both jpg and jpeg files but neither worked

Is anyone else having trouble with uploading secondaries/accessing the secondary portals right now?

Is it too late to apply for this college? In late July or early Aug should still be OK? I feel I need to apply to couple more colleges since my initial list was not that great, plus considering how my secondaries are going.
Bro you posted this on like 10 different threads. Its not too late to apply lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it too late to apply for this college? In late July or early Aug should still be OK? I feel I need to apply to couple more colleges since my initial list was not that great, plus considering how my secondaries are going.
I heard your good till like mid-Aug

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys write a CV for this school...? There's an option for that

Did you guys write a CV for this school...? There's an option for that
i already had one so i just updated it for this school, but tbh its basically all the stuff thats already on your primary AMCAS app , so even if u dont send one in i dont think its a big deal , but if u have one then might as well submit it i guess

Would it be worth sending in the secondary if im like 5 days after the two week mark?

Has it always said "applicant complete -> under review"? Or is the under review part new

Do MD applicants that have taken a gap year have to answer 1,2,4,and 5. Kind of annoyed that I did my questions and now it seems like I have to do a whole new set of questions because of this weird instruction box they have above the prompt

Do MD applicants that have taken a gap year have to answer 1,2,4,and 5. Kind of annoyed that I did my questions and now it seems like I have to do a whole new set of questions because of this weird instruction box they have above the prompt
It seems that all MD applicants have to answer 1, 2, and 4. If you took a gap year you have to answer 5. If you participated in TH Chan SOM Programs then you have to answer 3. If you're a MD/PhD applicant, you have to answer 6. I'm not applying to MD/PhD so Q6 doesn't even show up for me.

Congrats everyone! Looks like it's mostly IS IIs 🥹.

Are there any PURCH Track students on here that I can talk with?

When inputting prerequisites, for the year did y’all put like year in school (fresh,soph etc.) or like the actual year (2015,2016 etc.)

When inputting prerequisites, for the year did y’all put like year in school (fresh,soph etc.) or like the actual year (2015,2016 etc.)
I did the actual year because I have a wonky year in school with dual enrollment, official freshman start in spring, and Bachelor’s in 3 years so I figured the easier way would be the actual year.

OOS II, Complete 7/13, PURCH Track, strong state connections

OOS II, PURCH Track, no connections

Is anyone else not able to see multiple available times for interviews? They are only offering me one date/time.

LM 75. Pretty strong volunteer work

Are they reviewing the application in chronological order? I submitted early and ppl who submitted after me have received IIs, so idk if this means my app got soft R or what

Are they reviewing the application in chronological order? I submitted early and ppl who submitted after me have received IIs, so idk if this means my app got soft R or what
lol dude another person's II does not equate to your rejection. yes, even if they submitted after you. No one knows the order in which adcoms evaluate apps, and its still sooo early. There is too much uncertainty in this process.

Reactions: 3 users
is anyone still having trouble uploading a photo? I have made the image tiny and still nothing.

is anyone still having trouble uploading a photo? I have made the image tiny and still nothing.
I didnt have any issues so maybe I can offer advice. I used Canva(.com) to format my photo to 2x2inches (passport size). Then made sure to download it as a .jpeg

I didnt have any issues so maybe I can offer advice. I used Canva(.com) to format my photo to 2x2inches (passport size). Then made sure to download it as a .jpeg
Thank you so much! Using Canva is the only thing that worked.

• Care
none that ive heard of :/ hopefully monday it rains IIs :)

Just got a rejected to PURCH but still under consideration email :(

Just got a rejected to PURCH but still under consideration email :(
So, you’re still under consideration for the regular MD program. Not a bad thing!

Does anyone know if the MMI interviews are acting or non-acting? What about PURCH?

II just now : submit 7/11
im getting an error saying there is no dates available, has anyone else got this??

II just now. I’m having trouble scheduling an interview too

thank god its not just me lol. my error message reads "We apologize, but there are no slots available for scheduling at this time."

Hey, I am still not able to schedule an interview. It keeps telling me there are no slots available. Are other people still getting this message?? I emailed the person they told us to email, and she hasn't responded either, im getting kinda antsy and dont really know what to do. Cause they also said we only have 5 days to schedule an interview in the email they sent out.
Any ideas? anyone else still having the same issue?