You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
diazepamazing
Full Member
Anyone hear anything about scholarships?
Nope :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pugsygirl17
Full Member
I guess it's possible some people did get scholarships and they just didn't post or don't use SDN...
V true as wellI guess it's possible some people did get scholarships and they just didn't post or don't use SDN...
I still think the scholarship date is self imposed and hence changeable.
I feel like I’m high school again, waiting for my crush to text back 🤧🤧
did they ever text back bc mine didn’t 😫I feel like I’m high school again, waiting for my crush to text back 🤧🤧
did they ever text back bc mine didn’t 😫
Did you get a scholarship from either of your other 2 Texas schools?I feel like I’m high school again, waiting for my crush to text back 🤧🤧
I did at TAMU, waiting on El Paso but they hinted it might come mid-Feb via email, and haven’t been accepted to Lubbock yet.Did you get a scholarship from either of your other 2 Texas schools?
trikthekidney
Full Member
Watch us get the scholarship email on February 14th in the form of a Valentine’s Day card 😍I feel like I’m high school again, waiting for my crush to text back 🤧🤧
This is the reason I think UTMB is being disadvantaged with OOS admittees when they dont give some students the 1k, knowing another school can get them simply by offering it.I did at TAMU, waiting on El Paso but they hinted it might come mid-Feb via email, and haven’t been accepted to Lubbock yet.
El Paso does not need to make you decide during the match since OOS has no deadline to choose until late April.
Totally agree! They have very deep pockets so they could, but they choose not to.This is the reason I think UTMB is being disadvantaged with OOS admittees when they dont give some students the 1k, knowing another school can get them simply by offering it.
El Paso does not need to make you decide during the match since OOS has no deadline to choose until late April.
Where the scholarship at though 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be fraud or some other crime to charge OOS students $1k above in-state tuition and just give them it back as a $1k scholarship to lower the bill overall?
Tuition at most public schools is predetermined by the Board of Regents or some other governing body. Those folks don’t care enough about us plebs as long as the entire class keeps getting filled. Plus, it’s more money to fund the school from the students so let effort to fundraise from donors or ask the state/federal government for taxpayer money. From the board’s perspective, it makes no sense to offer the same price to both in state and out of state.Would it be fraud or some other crime to charge OOS students $1k above in-state tuition and just give them it back as a $1k scholarship to lower the bill overall?
Also, low tuition keeps Texans in Texas to then serve as physicians for other Texans.
SquirrelyStudent
Full Member
Assuming recruitment scholarships weren’t sent out, I wonder if they will let us know when the new date they expect to send them out by is.
That additional 10k is being covered from some other Govt scholarship/discretionary funding so it is not just a question of finding that 1k. Most schools in Texas do this for graduate students in all departments.Would it be fraud or some other crime to charge OOS students $1k above in-state tuition and just give them it back as a $1k scholarship to lower the bill overall?
Doubt it
Yeah I've let go of the scholarship factor. If UTMB comes through, great. Otherwise, gotta rank these schools assuming they will all cost the same, which actually makes it easier (or does it?). Some money would be nice, though. We're just too close to 2/17 to be refreshing emails like maniacs lol.Doubt it
View attachment 365353
On another note, am I the only one who says to himself, "Okay, this school is an absolute LOCK at this position," only to rearrange the rank list like three more times over the next few hours, before closing all my stupid Google research tabs and realizing I am no closer to a finalized rank list than when I started working on it 1,000 weeks ago!? 🤓
Just to be clear, UTMB is at a higher tuition than other schools. Overall COA may be similar since people claim rents are cheaper.Yeah I've let go of the scholarship factor. If UTMB comes through, great. Otherwise, gotta rank these schools assuming they will all cost the same, which actually makes it easier (or does it?). Some money would be nice, though. We're just too close to 2/17 to be refreshing emails like maniacs lol.
On another note, am I the only one who says to himself, "Okay, this school is an absolute LOCK at this position," only to rearrange the rank list like three more times over the next few hours, before closing all my stupid Google research tabs and realizing I am no closer to a finalized rank list than when I started working on it 1,000 weeks ago!? 🤓
![]()
They sure are. Rent is cheaper, but what you get for that cheaper rent is pretty shocking. Hit up realtor dot com and have a look around lol. Once you find some nice digs in Galveston, it feels like rent is pretty much the same as everywhere else.Just to be clear, UTMB is at a higher tuition than other schools. Overall COA may be similar since people claim rents are cheaper.
Watch them say they'll be delaying scholarship notifications due to the snow and in reality they're like:
We aint Dallas - what snow are you talkin of.Watch them say they'll be delaying scholarship notifications due to the snow and in reality they're like:![]()
It's cold, but ain't no snow lol!We aint Dallas - what snow are you talkin of.
Has anyone else gotten one? Wondering if they're sending in batches or all at once...
Never mind. Just got an offer for full tuition and I'm kind of in a state of shock and disbelief. I don't think my mind has had time to process this yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1141024
AMAZING CONGRATSNever mind. Just got an offer for full tuition and I'm kind of in a state of shock and disbelief. I don't think my mind has had time to process this yet.
WOW. Congratulations!Never mind. Just got an offer for full tuition and I'm kind of in a state of shock and disbelief. I don't think my mind has had time to process this yet.
That is absolutely insane, congratulations!Never mind. Just got an offer for full tuition and I'm kind of in a state of shock and disbelief. I don't think my mind has had time to process this yet.
So what are they offering??Just got an email about recruitment scholarships!
AMAZING! CONGRATSNever mind. Just got an offer for full tuition and I'm kind of in a state of shock and disbelief. I don't think my mind has had time to process this yet.
public_lemon
Full Member
that’s amazing!!!!! congratulations!Never mind. Just got an offer for full tuition and I'm kind of in a state of shock and disbelief. I don't think my mind has had time to process this yet.
Got the scholarship as well: $10K a year 🙂
When did you get it??Got the scholarship as well: $10K a year 🙂
you da man! Tell UTSW to forget you!Got the scholarship as well: $10K a year 🙂
Looks like they are starting at full and winding their way down.
10K is full tuition??
No, the first announcement was full tuition, you got 10k about 30 minutes later. next will be next level.10K is full tuition??
I think full is 23k.
Congratulations!
You basically got a half-ride 😎10K is full tuition??
Full is 34 🙂 (to be clear, it was "full tuition and fees")No, the first announcement was full tuition, you got 10k about 30 minutes later. next will be next level.
I think full is 23k.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You basically got a half-ride 😎
For those who are visual learners!
Not gonna lie this completely shakes up my rankings. AGAIN. But extremely thankful and blessed to have this problem to contend with.
What is the 10k in additional fees?Full is 34 🙂 (to be clear, it was "full tuition and fees")
Your guess is as good as mine. I'll copy paste from the email:What is the 10k in additional fees?
You have been selected to receive a recruitment scholarship worth a minimum of $136,000 (full tuition and fees) from the John Sealy School of Medicine at University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. The scholarship may be used for tuition, fees, and other expenses. You will receive a minimum of $34,000 for your first year of school, with a recurrent amount of $34,000 per year, contingent upon you remaining in good academic standing for up to four years.
I guess some of it is living expenses?
You are getting bunch of beach party money, at least 9k extra unless you have to pay out of pocket for health insurance which can run into 2-3k.Your guess is as good as mine. I'll copy paste from the email:
You have been selected to receive a recruitment scholarship worth a minimum of $136,000 (full tuition and fees) from the John Sealy School of Medicine at University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. The scholarship may be used for tuition, fees, and other expenses. You will receive a minimum of $34,000 for your first year of school, with a recurrent amount of $34,000 per year, contingent upon you remaining in good academic standing for up to four years.
I guess some of it is living expenses?
I see the totals for instate are pretty much adding up to 26k max each year.