2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

Started by wysdoc
Tags Tags
utmb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1676402523599.png

🙂
 
I hate to be that person but is there a way we could move ranking and withdrawal talk into the Republic of Texas thread? I just think some folks might be interested in this discussion who aren't following the UTMB thread 🙂 esp if they're interested in schools where we're giving up prematches!
 
I hate to be that person but is there a way we could move ranking and withdrawal talk into the Republic of Texas thread? I just think some folks might be interested in this discussion who aren't following the UTMB thread 🙂 esp if they're interested in schools where we're giving up prematches!
Good idea
 
Nope! Most likely will attend UTMB if my matches fall through. Not that bad though. The MS4 said that she felt prepared for residency interviews and had 18 interviews. The clinical experiences (mandatory volunteering) is only 20 hours every 6 weeks which doesn't seem bad. I just hope we can select where we want to volunteer. I'm more focused on education and children. May consider Pediatrics or Pediatric Hematology/ Oncology.
 
Nope! Most likely will attend UTMB if my matches fall through. Not that bad though. The MS4 said that she felt prepared for residency interviews and had 18 interviews. The clinical experiences (mandatory volunteering) is only 20 hours every 6 weeks which doesn't seem bad. I just hope we can select where we want to volunteer. I'm more focused on education and children. May consider Pediatrics or Pediatric Hematology/ Oncology.
I am sure UTMB will be great and anywhere else you get in will be great. Just wondering @notAdoc_yet's comment saying you are dropping UTMB also and I was wondering if you have a prematch already that makes UTMB fallout right away.
 
Yes and it made me have another existential crisis about my ranks. Mission accomplished.
I tried to ignore it, but the part about scholarships made me revisit their institutional scholarship page and wow do they have a lot of money to offer students after the match!! It's hard to weight that sort of thing, as no one knows if they'll receive any of that aid at all, but the list is incredibly long, and almost everyone fits the criteria of many of the offerings. The fact that they have it all laid out like that is inviting, whereas other schools mention nothing about school-provided aid. It's starting to sway me, and I really am trying not to let it lol. Speaking with upper-classmen and grads from UTMB, they all say they definitely were on the receiving end of that aid, and all their classmates were as well. It isn't there for no reason!
 
I tried to ignore it, but the part about scholarships made me revisit their institutional scholarship page and wow do they have a lot of money to offer students after the match!! It's hard to weight that sort of thing, as no one knows if they'll receive any of that aid at all, but the list is incredibly long, and almost everyone fits the criteria of many of the offerings. The fact that they have it all laid out like that is inviting, whereas other schools mention nothing about school-provided aid. It's starting to sway me, and I really am trying not to let it lol. Speaking with upper-classmen and grads from UTMB, they all say they definitely were on the receiving end of that aid, and all their classmates were as well. It isn't there for no reason!
From what I heard with a 3rd year student as my source, most students get 3.5k scholarship per year. I am sure they have other scholarships to support things like global programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My husband pre-matched to UTMB and ranked it as his 1st choice, so he was wondering if there is a group chat he could join for students going to UTMB?
 
My husband pre-matched to UTMB and ranked it as his 1st choice, so he was wondering if there is a group chat he could join for students going to UTMB?
There have been a bunch of messages asking about a group message so I don't think there is one yet. I bet we get one after match day and the class is a little more sorted out. I ranked UTMB 1 also, so excited to get started here!
 
There have been a bunch of messages asking about a group message so I don't think there is one yet. I bet we get one after match day and the class is a little more sorted out. I ranked UTMB 1 also, so excited to get started here!
You're probably right, thank you! I ranked UTMB #1 also to hopefully attend with my husband. If all goes well on Match Day I'll be excited to meet everyone and be classmates 😊
 
MCATBros is very sketchy. He has a history of being mean to minorities. For instance, he PM'ed me on Reddit several years ago and said that I'll never get admitted due to my 512. 🙁
didnt notice it was run by them and I also haven't joined but was trying to pass on the info! Thanks for sharing that !🙂. I also found a UTMB housing and roommate forum on facebook that seems legit if anyone is Interested in finding living before match
 
MCATBros is very sketchy. He has a history of being mean to minorities. For instance, he PM'ed me on Reddit several years ago and said that I'll never get admitted due to my 512. 🙁
He must have been right. I dont think you have one until you can get into Kaiser. 🙂

Everyone goes to beach schools like UTMB and Santa Barbara. Very few go to free schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all -
The last few posts above point out a truth about our times: Please be cautious about joining groups or giving your contact information to a site or spot that seems dubious.
In all, I recommend joining an official admitted students group which usually gets set up shortly after Match Day. After y'all get to know each other at school, you can set up your own group chats if you like.

"Let's be careful out there" (super clips compendium from Hill Street Blues)

wysdoc
 
Can someone please explain what happens on Match day, especially with those who have interviewed but haven't received any prematch admission/rejection ?
 
Can someone please explain what happens on Match day, especially with those who have interviewed but haven't received any prematch admission/rejection ?
Basically you rank the schools that you have interviewed and submit it to TMDSAS (this shouldve been done 2/17) then the schools that you have interviewed at will rank you as well and you will either match, be placed on a waitlist or rejected
 
Basically you rank the schools that you have interviewed and submit it to TMDSAS (this shouldve been done 2/17) then the schools that you have interviewed at will rank you as well and you will either match, be placed on a waitlist or rejected
Does this also apply to oos applicants ? I never received any email to rank schools.
 
For folks planning on UTMB this fall, where are you planning on living? I'm not too keen on the island itself and was thinking about living somewhere between Houston and Galveston (e.g. League City, where my sister also lives so that's a plus) so that I can get to school AND be able to visit friends/participate in HTX city life, but I'm wondering if this is a "jack of all trades master of none" situation where the drive in either direction is going to make me want to shoot myself.
 
For folks planning on UTMB this fall, where are you planning on living? I'm not too keen on the island itself and was thinking about living somewhere between Houston and Galveston (e.g. League City, where my sister also lives so that's a plus) so that I can get to school AND be able to visit friends/participate in HTX city life, but I'm wondering if this is a "jack of all trades master of none" situation where the drive in either direction is going to make me want to shoot myself.
Also my family and I will be living on the island, but I've heard from other students that League City is the farthest away to feasibly live since the construction on I-45 is kinda crazy heading towards the island. The drive from Galveston to Houston isn't too bad though if you were still wanting to visit on weekends.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For folks planning on UTMB this fall, where are you planning on living? I'm not too keen on the island itself and was thinking about living somewhere between Houston and Galveston (e.g. League City, where my sister also lives so that's a plus) so that I can get to school AND be able to visit friends/participate in HTX city life, but I'm wondering if this is a "jack of all trades master of none" situation where the drive in either direction is going to make me want to shoot myself.
Welcome to Houston if you are not already here!

Living in League City might work for you during the semesters of classes. I have known people who lived at home in Pearland or Sugar land to commute to medical center.

There is a point when rotations start that you will find this commute quite hard. You will be working 14-15 hour shifts in IM and Surgery where you will have little energy make 30+ minute commute.