2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
You basically got a half-ride :cool:
A158E294-25BA-4500-B058-8356B1A8850A.jpeg

For those who are visual learners!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
Not gonna lie this completely shakes up my rankings. AGAIN. But extremely thankful and blessed to have this problem to contend with.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
What is the 10k in additional fees?
Your guess is as good as mine. I'll copy paste from the email:

You have been selected to receive a recruitment scholarship worth a minimum of $136,000 (full tuition and fees) from the John Sealy School of Medicine at University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. The scholarship may be used for tuition, fees, and other expenses. You will receive a minimum of $34,000 for your first year of school, with a recurrent amount of $34,000 per year, contingent upon you remaining in good academic standing for up to four years.

I guess some of it is living expenses?

Reactions: 1 users
Your guess is as good as mine. I'll copy paste from the email:

You have been selected to receive a recruitment scholarship worth a minimum of $136,000 (full tuition and fees) from the John Sealy School of Medicine at University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. The scholarship may be used for tuition, fees, and other expenses. You will receive a minimum of $34,000 for your first year of school, with a recurrent amount of $34,000 per year, contingent upon you remaining in good academic standing for up to four years.

I guess some of it is living expenses?
You are getting bunch of beach party money, at least 9k extra unless you have to pay out of pocket for health insurance which can run into 2-3k.

I see the totals for instate are pretty much adding up to 26k max each year.

• Love
You are getting bunch of beach party money, at least 9k extra unless you have to pay out of pocket for health insurance which can run into 2-3k.

I see the totals for instate are pretty much adding up to 26k max each year.

Yeah I was gonna say that health insurance is probably factored in to what it could be used for, but if chichandtoughness has parental health insurance, that's some nice pocket money right there haha!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I was gonna say that health insurance is probably factored in to what it could be sued for, but if chichandtoughness has parental health insurance, that's some nicer pocket money right there haha!
I was kind of ruling that out since they seem to be working and classified under non-trad..

Yeah I was gonna say that health insurance is probably factored in to what it could be sued for, but if chichandtoughness has parental health insurance, that's some nicer pocket money right there haha!
You have to be insured. You can either take the schools's group plan (usually a reasonable price and good coverage) or if you are insured on your own or under a parent's policy you will show the school proof of that and the insurance fee will be removed from your bill.

wait who’s getting sued, we don’t have malpractice insurance yet ☹️

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to be insured. You can either take the schools's group plan (usually a reasonable price and good coverage) or if you are insured on your own or under a parent's policy you will show the school proof of that and the insurance fee will be removed from your bill.
Oh for sure! I was just saying that since the amount of their award was greater than the tuition and fees, the required health insurance premiums could be covered using some the extra. In other words, it's a great scholarship amount! They could've just provided tuition and general fees, which a lot of schools leave health insurance premiums out of. UTMB made sure the award stood out!

When did you guys prematch? I wonder if the scholarship letters are being sent in order of pre-match, because I still haven't gotten anything. :(

Or, sorry to say, not everyone gets a scholarship offer :(
You're right, the email does say "all applicants receiving a prematch offer are eligible." but it doesn't say it's guaranteed. I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up, and just be grateful to not stress about not matching.

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Or, sorry to say, not everyone gets a scholarship offer :(
“The first is our recruitment scholarships; all applicants receiving a prematch offer are eligible. Applicants will be notified of their scholarship amounts no later than January 30.”

Maybe I’m a little slow (bombed CARS), but I assumed all those who pre-matched at UTMB would be getting an offer? >___<

• Sad
“The first is our recruitment scholarships; all applicants receiving a prematch offer are eligible. Applicants will be notified of their scholarship amounts no later than January 30.”

Maybe I’m a little slow (bombed CARS), but I assumed all those who pre-matched at UTMB would be getting an offer? >___<
Nope, sorry
All are eligible, not all will get an offer

• Wow
Congratulations on receiving a prematch offer from John Sealy School of Medicine. After applicants receive an offer, one of their first questions is about scholarships. JSSOM has two scholarship processes for entering students with both need-based and academic-based awards. Please review the information below for more details.

Recruitment Scholarships

All applicants with prematch offers are eligible, and there is no application process. The scholarships are awarded based on the strength of your application and interview. Additionally, some recruitment scholarships have donor-specific requirements, including but not limited to academics, financial needs, state residency, and extracurricular activities. The only information needed is on your original TMDSAS and supplemental application (no need to send updates). We will begin notifying recipients no later than January 31.

If you do not receive a notification by January 31, please do not lose hope, as we will continue to offer until all are accepted, and the class is seated. If JSSOM is among your top choices, there may be opportunities post-match as scholarships become available.

General School-Wide Scholarships

All prematch and matched applicants are eligible, and a separate application is required. On March 3, all will receive an email explaining the process and how to access the application

Grateful to have received a recruitment scholarship, however, it is a one-time deposit rather than a yearly recurring scholarship (sadly). Regardless, I do not mind and am grateful that it makes my ranking list easier to make :)

When did you guys prematch? I wonder if the scholarship letters are being sent in order of pre-match, because I still haven't gotten anything. :(
I pre-matched in October. Based on the most recent email sent a few minutes ago, offers will still be sent out post-January 31st :) Good luck!

Congratulations on receiving a prematch offer from John Sealy School of Medicine. After applicants receive an offer, one of their first questions is about scholarships. JSSOM has two scholarship processes for entering students with both need-based and academic-based awards. Please review the information below for more details.

Recruitment Scholarships

All applicants with prematch offers are eligible, and there is no application process. The scholarships are awarded based on the strength of your application and interview. Additionally, some recruitment scholarships have donor-specific requirements, including but not limited to academics, financial needs, state residency, and extracurricular activities. The only information needed is on your original TMDSAS and supplemental application (no need to send updates). We will begin notifying recipients no later than January 31.

If you do not receive a notification by January 31, please do not lose hope, as we will continue to offer until all are accepted, and the class is seated. If JSSOM is among your top choices, there may be opportunities post-match as scholarships become available.

All prematch and matched applicants are eligible, and a separate application is required. On March 3, all will receive an email explaining the process and how to access the application
Thanks, @randompremed457 for posting the entire email message.

The rest of y'all: Please get in the habit of reading each email from a med school word by word

For those of you not in their designated "recruitment" pool, please note that competing for other scholarships requires you to fill out an application, and matched students will get details on that after March 3.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations on receiving a prematch offer from John Sealy School of Medicine....
UTMB adcoms read SDN confirmed. We are all too anxious for our own good lol

My email had a different first paragraph:

Hello chicandtoughness,
In an effort to keep my original scholarship email brief, it appears I may have missed some pertinent information. Furthermore, some deadlines were pushed back due to uncontrollable circumstances. Please see the revised scholarship information.

• Haha
UTMB adcoms read SDN confirmed. We are all too anxious for our own good lol

My email had a different first paragraph:

Hello chicandtoughness,
In an effort to keep my original scholarship email brief, it appears I may have missed some pertinent information. Furthermore, some deadlines were pushed back due to uncontrollable circumstances. Please see the revised scholarship information.
I believe everyone had this paragraph, as I had it as well. I think the person who posted the email’s contents just did not include it.

I believe everyone had this paragraph, as I had it as well. I think the person who posted the email’s contents just did not include it.
My email does not have that first paragraph. Mine is verbatim what @randompremed457 pasted here.

For context, I didn’t get any recruitment scholarship and I’m OOS. (Other OOS did get money.)

• Haha
The earlier messages stating if one does not receive a scholarship by 31st, they get nothing seem to be inaccurate.

Based on this, people can continue to expect scholarships and if OOS students did not receive something qualifying for an OOS tuition waiver, I believe UTMB can still give them something all the way until end of April before they need to make a decision.

It would be in UTMBs best interest not to lose candidates to other schools based on OOS tuition waivers within Texas.

I have not seen anyone announce a 3k scholarship. I assume these will be given out once people rank UTMB their #1 and/or file their FAFSA.

The earlier messages stating if one does not receive a scholarship by 31st, they get nothing seem to be inaccurate.

Based on this, people can continue to expect scholarships and if OOS students did not receive something qualifying for an OOS tuition waiver, I believe UTMB can still give them something all the way until end of April before they need to make a decision.

It would be in UTMBs best interest not to lose candidates to other schools based on OOS tuition waivers within Texas.

I have not seen anyone announce a 3k scholarship. I assume these will be given out once people rank UTMB their #1 and/or file their FAFSA.
Since we rank them February 17th, wouldn’t it make sense for all of the recruitment scholarships for pre-matched people to go out before then? As in we might see some more scholarships given out in the coming week.

Since we rank them February 17th, wouldn’t it make sense for all of the recruitment scholarships for pre-matched people to go out before then? As in we might see some more scholarships given out in the coming week.
The recruitment scholarships were intended to be send out by 1/31 (although they recognize a delay). But just because you don't get a recruitment scholarship doesn't mean you're not eligible for general scholarships.

Also! My scholarship email specifically asked me to respond back saying if I'd like to accept or not. I would anticipate that some folks might decline the scholarship if they intend to go elsewhere (e.g. if someone has already prematched to their top choice and UTMB's scholarship offer is not enough to make them change their mind). In that case, they might take those funds and go down the line to the next candidate. My email asked me to get back to them by 2/10 so there's a possibility some scholarships might be offered until and beyond that date as folks decline.

The recruitment scholarships were intended to be send out by 1/31 (although they recognize a delay). But just because you don't get a recruitment scholarship doesn't mean you're not eligible for general scholarships.

Also! My scholarship email specifically asked me to respond back saying if I'd like to accept or not. I would anticipate that some folks might decline the scholarship if they intend to go elsewhere (e.g. if someone has already prematched to their top choice and UTMB's scholarship offer is not enough to make them change their mind). In that case, they might take those funds and go down the line to the next candidate. My email asked me to get back to them by 2/10 so there's a possibility some scholarships might be offered until and beyond that date as folks decline.
Oh no. Now someone will try to figure out who @chicandtoughness is and park out front asking them to give it up.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Is there a Facebook or like an accepted student group chat anywhere and does anyone have the link?

• Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Got a call from a current UTMB student today to see if I had any questions about the school. I think wysdoc’s and texasvandys advice compelled me to answer. Really cool gesture on their committees part. Answer y’all’s phone today!

Got a call from a current UTMB student today to see if I had any questions about the school. I think wysdoc’s and texasvandys advice compelled me to answer. Really cool gesture on their committees part. Answer y’all’s phone today!
Same! Happened a couple days ago

Baylor because I’d like the independence from family, it has the TMC, and I like the atmosphere during the tour.
UTSW because it’s in my home town, awesome food, and close to home.
McGovern because of the laid back culture that I felt and because of the TMC
Long because of the friendly atmosphere of the admin and I think they’re sweet hearts.

How is your rank list going @MCAThiccy @randompremed457 @chicandtoughness @skeptastic

same question to anyone who wants to discuss!
I've got it all figured out, save for one last battle between UTMB and A&M. This is much more difficult than I ever imagined it would be. They are different enough that things I like about UTMB are not present at A&M, and vice versa. I've got my excel spreadsheet, like four or five different text or SDN conversation running at the same time, all in an effort to come to some sort of decision. Every time I settle on ranking one higher, I get some weird news that makes me reevaluate. Like, crazy high rental deposits for no reason, admin scandals, added mandatory hours that never existed in prior years, clinical sites going away, etc.

I will say, I am pretty sure I will be able to thrive at either school, so I am definitely nit-picking. But, this is what happens when you get to see some acceptances and not others, are forced to rank em, and one day decides your fate. I'd love to know which schools have me ranked high enough to match so I could just choose and not be debating and ranking the ones I'd prefer less, but, such is the match!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
How is your rank list going @MCAThiccy @randompremed457 @chicandtoughness @skeptastic

same question to anyone who wants to discuss!
I am having an existential crisis due to this full ride situation lol.

1-3. UTSW, Baylor, UTMB..... in some order. Gonna be honest I will probably be miserable in Galveston but not having a huge debt load would be a big relief, especially since I would like to start a family during med school, and I do have significant undergrad debt that's not paid off yet. Also, not gonna lie if a school REALLY wants me there I feel good about the support they would be able to provide for me.
4. Dell
5. Foster
6. Long

• Care
I am having an existential crisis due to this full ride situation lol.

1-3. UTSW, Baylor, UTMB..... in some order. Gonna be honest I will probably be miserable in Galveston but not having a huge debt load would be a big relief, especially since I would like to start a family during med school, and I do have significant undergrad debt that's not paid off yet. Also, not gonna lie if a school REALLY wants me there I feel good about the support they would be able to provide for me.
4. Dell
5. Foster
6. Long
It's obviously none of my business and I get why the full ride makes it such a hard decision, but for what it's worth, my two cents is that you shouldn't go somewhere you think you'll be miserable, regardless of how much money they offer you.