-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Virginia Commonwealth
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
marebear1914
Full Member
Did you interview on 08/31? And what day did you get the notification that you were on hold? Was it an email or a notice on the portal?Yeah I got a post interview hold
Last edited:
HalJordann
Full Member
Just got put on hold after interviewing. Does this happen to everyone? In the email, it says my application will stay like this until one of the acceptance release dates.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wondering same thingJust got put on hold after interviewing. Does this happen to everyone? In the email, it says my application will stay like this until one of the acceptance release dates.
HalJordann
Full Member
wondering same thing
Here is a some info from last year's thread that seems to help our worrying hahaJust to clarify: every person that interviews goes in front of the executive committee 2 or 3 days later usually the Friday or Monday after. There you are voted on 1-5 by like 40 people. 1 is best. At this point, the only people rejected are people that flat out failed the interview. Which is maybe 1 person or something like that if that per interview day.
my point is: the vast majority of applicants get on hold for A / WL. All this means is that you didn’t fail the interview it gives no actual indication on your chances for acceptance.
showkayaker
Full Member
Congrats!OOS II right now! Complete 7/6
Thank you 🙂Congrats!
Way to go!!! Proud of you! 🙂II just now, complete 7/21, LM 72
Congratulations! IS or OOS?II just now, complete 7/21, LM 72
Thanks everyone. OOS, but In a neighboring stateCongratulations! IS or OOS?
I messed up and made a bad mistake. I saw on AMCAS that VCU's program deadline is October 15th and I thought I still had time to turn in my secondary, but I didn't realize that VCU pushed an earlier deadline for my secondary app essays, making it due last week, and I looked it up too late due to being busy/putting my attention with several other applications. Do y'all have any advice on what to do? Would contacting the admissions office about the situation and requesting a reopening of my application do any good?
If this was a month or two ago, then I'd say contact them but at this point of the cycle, cut your losses and let this one go.I messed up and made a bad mistake. I saw on AMCAS that VCU's program deadline is October 15th and I thought I still had time to turn in my secondary, but I didn't realize that VCU pushed an earlier deadline for my secondary app essays, making it due last week, and I looked it up too late due to being busy/putting my attention with several other applications. Do y'all have any advice on what to do? Would contacting the admissions office about the situation and requesting a reopening of my application do any good?
So I was in a similar situation where I was late to submit something for early decision and the admissions office was very kind about it and even reached out to AMCAS for me to get it sorted. If VCU is one of your top choices, it would be worth it to reach out I think, the admissions office was super helpful/nice.I messed up and made a bad mistake. I saw on AMCAS that VCU's program deadline is October 15th and I thought I still had time to turn in my secondary, but I didn't realize that VCU pushed an earlier deadline for my secondary app essays, making it due last week, and I looked it up too late due to being busy/putting my attention with several other applications. Do y'all have any advice on what to do? Would contacting the admissions office about the situation and requesting a reopening of my application do any good?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh, the 60 day thing ended exactly a week ago, so it's pretty recent.If this was a month or two ago, then I'd say contact them but at this point of the cycle, cut your losses and let this one go.
Thanks, I didn't pay attention to the fine print in their secondary invite and didn't realize they had a 60 day rule for getting all my materials in.So I was in a similar situation where I was late to submit something for early decision and the admissions office was very kind about it and even reached out to AMCAS for me to get it sorted. If VCU is one of your top choices, it would be worth it to reach out I think, the admissions office was super helpful/nice.
lcm.md.mom
Full Member
At the start of our MMI session this morning, the faculty leading our interviews led us all through a mindfulness/meditation. It was only a few minutes, but it was so so helpful and thoughtful. Made me think even higher of VCU!
lcm.md.mom
Full Member
At the start this morning they mentioned everyone was blind to our stats, but I am not sure if they could have read our application. Unclear on that end.Anyone know if the interview is closed or open file? I know most of the interview is MMI, but the first question seems to be a traditional interview question for the first 14 mins and I was just wondering if the interviewer has your file open during this time.
Interviewing right now. The MMI has no “Why Us” question. The 14 minute question is blind to everything except your name. Essentially, tell us your life story.
That’s all I can say about the MMI because of legal agreements of secrecy.
That’s all I can say about the MMI because of legal agreements of secrecy.
Offers made on Oct 1 (Early decision, Saturday, so offers made on Monday October 3rd), Oct 16 (Sunday, so offers made on Monday October 17th), Dec 16, Feb 1, and March 15 (around 50 acceptances offered per date). Applicants are ranked and then accepted or waitlisted. Send updates to the school if you have any significant updates (source: Interview presentation). Get's about 7,500 applicants to interview 700 applicants. Offers 300 offers. Have already offered about half of the incoming class-- direct words from the presentation.
Last edited:
student306
Full Member
what do they mean they have already offered half of the incoming class? offers arent made until oct 1 for ED evenOffers made on Oct 1 (Early decision, Saturday, so offers made on Monday October 3rd), Oct 16 (Sunday, so offers made on Monday October 17th), Dec 16, Feb 1, and March 15 (around 50 acceptances offered per date). Applicants are ranked and then accepted or waitlisted. Send updates to the school if you have any significant updates (source: Interview presentation). Get's about 7,500 applicants to interview 700 applicants. Offers 300 offers. Have already offered about half of the incoming class-- direct words from the presentation.
As in they've made considerations for admissions and have yet to send out those decisions (to my understanding). Or maybe they've interviewed half of the interviewees already.what do they mean they have already offered half of the incoming class? offers arent made until oct 1 for ED even
sdoh_junkie
LM: 68 WARS: 76
Well as someone without an interview here despite it being my top choice, this crushes me lolOffers made on Oct 1 (Early decision, Saturday, so offers made on Monday October 3rd), Oct 16 (Sunday, so offers made on Monday October 17th), Dec 16, Feb 1, and March 15 (around 50 acceptances offered per date). Applicants are ranked and then accepted or waitlisted. Send updates to the school if you have any significant updates (source: Interview presentation). Get's about 7,500 applicants to interview 700 applicants. Offers 300 offers. Have already offered about half of the incoming class-- direct words from the presentation.
showkayaker
Full Member
Thats very confusing info. How have they offered 1/2 the incoming class if they stated they offer 50 A’s on each date? Are they reffering to bridge/early assurance programs?Well as someone without an interview here despite it being my top choice, this crushes me lol
The admissions person said this and we were like 🤔🥴. Def weird but I hope more people who interviewed today can shed light on what we heardThats very confusing info. How have they offered 1/2 the incoming class if they stated they offer 50 A’s on each date? Are they reffering to bridge/early assurance programs?
Maybe they've offered 1/2 the interviews already?The admissions person said this and we were like 🤔🥴. Def weird but I hope more people who interviewed today can shed light on what we heard
D
deleted1128833
anyone interview previously and get an email that says
“
The VCU School of Medicine Admissions Committee has met to discuss your candidacy and your application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admission.
We anticipate making acceptance offers on October 17, December 16, February 1, and March 15. Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.”
Im so confused. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Is everyone “placed on hold”? I know they mentioned something like this at the info session but it was all so confusing
“
The VCU School of Medicine Admissions Committee has met to discuss your candidacy and your application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admission.
We anticipate making acceptance offers on October 17, December 16, February 1, and March 15. Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.”
Im so confused. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Is everyone “placed on hold”? I know they mentioned something like this at the info session but it was all so confusing
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, idt it really means much at this point.anyone interview previously and get an email that says
“
The VCU School of Medicine Admissions Committee has met to discuss your candidacy and your application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admission.
We anticipate making acceptance offers on October 17, December 16, February 1, and March 15. Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.”
Im so confused. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Is everyone “placed on hold”? I know they mentioned something like this at the info session but it was all so confusing
Capttndoodlebopper
Full Member
I got the same email does that mean we won’t be rejected or that , some people have already been offered admissions ?anyone interview previously and get an email that says
“
The VCU School of Medicine Admissions Committee has met to discuss your candidacy and your application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admission.
We anticipate making acceptance offers on October 17, December 16, February 1, and March 15. Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.”
Im so confused. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Is everyone “placed on hold”? I know they mentioned something like this at the info session but it was all so confusing
showkayaker
Full Member
If you guys read earlier in the thread, someone explained they just put everyone on hold until they accept/WL/deny on those datesI got the same email does that mean we won’t be rejected or that , some people have already been offered admissions ?
I was in the AM session yesterday, I don't recall them saying half the offers have been made already. I could have just zoned out, but I don't think it makes sense because they have set offer dates. The ranking of students moves around after every single interview date as more people are voted on by the admissions committee, so the final 50-60 people they make offers to isn't going to be finalized until right before the offer dates. All I recall is them saying that about 300 offers total are made to make up the class size of 184.
How long after your interview did you get this email?anyone interview previously and get an email that says
“
The VCU School of Medicine Admissions Committee has met to discuss your candidacy and your application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admission.
We anticipate making acceptance offers on October 17, December 16, February 1, and March 15. Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.”
Im so confused. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Is everyone “placed on hold”? I know they mentioned something like this at the info session but it was all so confusing
it was around 2 weeks for meHow long after your interview did you get this email?
FiletFrenzy
Full Member
Per the AAMC Traffic Guidelines, schools aren't allowed to accept RD applicants until after October 15th. I'm in a similar situation with another school, which will place me on active hold until they are allowed to make a decision after all ED decisions are made.anyone interview previously and get an email that says
“
The VCU School of Medicine Admissions Committee has met to discuss your candidacy and your application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admission.
We anticipate making acceptance offers on October 17, December 16, February 1, and March 15. Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.”
Im so confused. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Is everyone “placed on hold”? I know they mentioned something like this at the info session but it was all so confusing
Rejected post-II 9/22/22. I'm a Texas resident and this is a public school so oh well. I had a great interview too, but that's fine!
You’re amazing! Best of luck future doc 😊Accepted today! Got an email from VCU about an hour ago.
Capttndoodlebopper
Full Member
I thought schools could not tell you till October 15 or 16th are you ED applicants?
Regular decision. Honestly surprised tbh for the fast turn around.I thought schools could not tell you till October 15 or 16th are you ED applicants?
Capttndoodlebopper
Full Member
Thank you for the reply did they send you the hold email last week ? I hope you success in your future cycleRegular decision. Honestly surprised tbh for the fast turn around.
No hold email last week. Interviewed last Thursday and got the rejection todayThank you for the reply did they send you the hold email last week ? I hope you success in your future cycle
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MCATThiccy shall still prosperNo hold email last week. Interviewed last Thursday and got the rejection today
You only need 1 bruhsMCATThiccy shall still prosper
The email I got:
For everyone that's wondering about if "tabs" show up in the portal like previous years threads say: I didn't get an email about changes to my portal or anything, I just got an email from VCU directly. However, when I logged into the portal to pay my deposit, there was an "Admission Decision" tab on the left side. I don't see tabs that say VCU Information, In-State Eligibility, etc. which I saw people had gotten in past years. Hope this helps and good luck everyone!!
Last edited:
yayayayay!Accepted today! Got an email from VCU about an hour ago.
