You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Baylor
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
IS II received today, LM 71, complete 10/05
D
deleted1139705
Congrats y'all! Looks like I'm likely going OOS.
Another cycle, another instance of Texas schools cocking their shotgun and telling me to "get the hell off their land."
Another cycle, another instance of Texas schools cocking their shotgun and telling me to "get the hell off their land."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to everyone who has received an interview invitation today! I hope that you guys get accepted to Baylor and that you love Baylor as much as I do! Today we’re having Brian’s field day in which Baylor has paid for a bowling alley and laser tag for both campuses. They really value us as people first who need breaks.
Last edited:
I’m sure this has been asked before, but are late interviewees any less likely to secure an acceptance? Also, could I DM you about Temple? I would prefer that campus!Congratulations to everyone who has received an interview invitation today! I hope they guys get accepted to Baylor and that you love Baylor as much as I do! Today we’re having Brian’s field day in which Baylor has paid for a bowling alley and laser tag for both campuses. They really value us as people first who need breaks.
Of course you could PM me.I’m sure this has been asked before, but are late interviewees any less likely to secure an acceptance? Also, could I DM you about Temple? I would prefer that campus!
Regarding discussions of admissions, all interviewees are ranked the same day they interview and several of my classmates in temple, and also some friends in Houston interviewed in January and matched.
This is epic.
Wait, all interviewees are ranked the same day they interview? What are the implications of this for OOS applicants and/or pre-match offers?Of course you could PM me.
Regarding discussions of admissions, all interviewees are ranked the same day they interview and several of my classmates in temple, and also some friends in Houston interviewed in January and matched.
After the interviews, the ranking is rearranged and students are placed in a ranking. Can’t really talk about how pre matches are given
I think this just means they discuss you & make notes on you the same day of the interview while it's fresh in their mind.Wait, all interviewees are ranked the same day they interview? What are the implications of this for OOS applicants and/or pre-match offers?
Some other schools may lump a few interview days together and discuss more people at one meeting.
Wait our Field Day isn't until next week in Houston. (and they did not pay for bowling or laser tag here lmao)Congratulations to everyone who has received an interview invitation today! I hope they guys get accepted to Baylor and that you love Baylor as much as I do! Today we’re having Brian’s field day in which Baylor has paid for a bowling alley and laser tag for both campuses. They really value us as people first who need breaks.
That’s rough. Yeah they did the field day already here and we have pizza and bowling and laser tag in arcade games. It was awesome.Wait our Field Day isn't until next week in Houston. (and they did not pay for bowling or laser tag here lmao)
What are they doing in Baylor? I mean the Houston campus.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
248pinkalicious
Full Member
+1 OOS II
What a beast!! Did you send any updates or anything before the II?+1 OOS II
When I interviewed they didn't send this email until later afternoon the day before! I got it at 2:43 pm the day before my interviewIs anyone interviewing here tomorrow? I still haven't gotten any Zoom information...
I literally just got it a couple of seconds ago! Thank you!When I interviewed they didn't send this email until later afternoon the day before! I got it at 2:43 pm the day before my interview
Houston doesnt have the dean of providence! Or is he spending your new building funds for your wellbeing days? 🙂That’s rough. Yeah they did the field day already here and we have pizza and bowling and laser tag in arcade games. It was awesome.
248pinkalicious
Full Member
I did notWhat a beast!! Did you send any updates or anything before the II?
May I ask your thoughts on the weighting of the interview towards rankings.What are they doing in Baylor? I mean the Houston campus.
Somewhat important?
Medium importance?
Heavy importance?
Medium; willingness of volunteering and patient care is more important. Research is important but not mandatory (I didn’t have research).
Baylor rented out a private theater for us to watch a movie! 🍿
I really love Baylor because the social life is really chill and fun compared to most schools in general 😍😌
I'm curious, which movie was it?View attachment 378873
Baylor rented out a private theater for us to watch a movie! 🍿
I really love Baylor because the social life is really chill and fun compared to most schools in general 😍😌
Super secret 😎I'm curious, which movie was it?
View attachment 378873
Baylor rented out a private theater for us to watch a movie! 🍿
I really love Baylor because the social life is really chill and fun compared to most schools in general 😍😌
You really do a good job of talking up the Temple campus. They should start sponsoring you 😉. Seems like they're really rolling out the red carpet for you all! Do you find that you have good built-in opportunities to connect with faculty as well as your fellow students?
Unrelated, I love Blue Bell but I always remember when you couldn't find it anywhere for a year because it was contaminated with Listeria (back in 2015)
That being said, screw it. Memento Mori. Gimme a nice large chocolate chip cookie with some Blue Bell vanilla ice cream on top. I'll take my chances.
It was the Marvel movie
I was just informed that Houston didn’t get a private theater 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have a bunch of opportunities to connect with upper class men. Our upper class men visit us and hangout/FaceTime to check up on us. As for faculty, I legit was getting breakfast yesterday at the cafeteria and spoke with a Neurosurgeon and Anesthesiologist. They gave me their numbers and wanted to do research. I shared that info with the other Temple students. If you want something, you have to actively look out for it.
Well if you are making connections at the cafeteria over breakfast then it doesn't sound like you have to look too hard! (Do they have breakfast tacos tho)We have a bunch of opportunities to connect with upper class men. Our upper class men visit us and hangout/FaceTime to check up on us. As for faculty, I legit was getting breakfast yesterday at the cafeteria and spoke with a Neurosurgeon and Anesthesiologist. They gave me their numbers and wanted to do research. I shared that info with the other Temple students. If you want something, you have to actively look out for it.
Do you feel like the faculty and physicians at BSW are just as excited about BCM students being there as BCM is, and you're benefiting from that? Getting in on the ground floor, as it were?
There are breakfast tacos and waffles, with SYRUP!!!!! And yes, the physicians are excited to work with us. They’re used to working with Texas A&M students. Having BCM students just means a different school to work with. We have several physicians list their research projects through MINDS, Temple’s version of the SOAR database, the original research database for BCM. You log into MINDS (if you’re in Temple) and look for research opportunities that you like, then the physicians text or call you.
Faculty is super excited to work with us. I wanted a hospice volunteering opportunity for Temple (Houston had the No One Dies Alone program), and so I spoke with BSW administration and began the hospice volunteering opportunity for Temple students with the hospital 🙂
Faculty is super excited to work with us. I wanted a hospice volunteering opportunity for Temple (Houston had the No One Dies Alone program), and so I spoke with BSW administration and began the hospice volunteering opportunity for Temple students with the hospital 🙂
I would also say that I’m benefiting from being a BCM student. I’m having lots of fun, learning medicine, and I’m enjoying my social life, too.
I also just wanna say something regarding UTSW: no tea, no shade, no pink lemonade but BCM students have more fun in general. We work hard, but we have fun and don’t stress that hard on exams. Not sure how UTSW exams are, but we have two exams every two weeks for the Cardio, Respiratory, and Renal block.
First exam is at 9 AM and second exam is at 2 PM. If you make a 2% on the first exam and make a 98% on the second exam, only the second exam grade is registered (the highest exam score).
Bit exams cover the same information, just phrased differently.
If you pass the first exam, you still have to take the second exam, though you don’t have to stress about it.
First exam is at 9 AM and second exam is at 2 PM. If you make a 2% on the first exam and make a 98% on the second exam, only the second exam grade is registered (the highest exam score).
Bit exams cover the same information, just phrased differently.
If you pass the first exam, you still have to take the second exam, though you don’t have to stress about it.
A historical digression:Well if you are making connections at the cafeteria over breakfast then it doesn't sound like you have to look too hard! (Do they have breakfast tacos tho)
Do you feel like the faculty and physicians at BSW are just as excited about BCM students being there as BCM is, and you're benefiting from that? Getting in on the ground floor, as it were?
Baylor Scott & White Hospital has had medical students for many years, from several med schools including A&M, McGovern, and others.
Some current Texas A&M students rotate at "Baylor University Medical Center-Dallas" which is part of the Baylor Scott & White Health/hospital system but not associated with Baylor College of Medicine.
Baylor Scott & White Hospitals have had active residencies in several specialties as well. It will no doubt benefit them to have an affiliation with Baylor College of Medicine, rather than being free-standing residencies. The nice thing for Baylor/Temple Branch students is: there is a full-fledged teaching hospital there in Temple, ready for them when they reach 3rd and 4th year.
Non-Texans and (some Texans too) don't know that the Baylor Scott & White Hospital system is not the same as Baylor College of Medicine.
History of B S & W: History
Baylor COM hospital affiliates: https://www.bcm.edu/about-us/affiliates
As someone who has been in environments where new initiatives are typically met with hemming and hawing and obstacles at every turn, being in an environment where there is a "can-do" attitude is huge. It's a different feeling when those obstacles just melt away and people are enthusiastic about new opportunities!There are breakfast tacos and waffles, with SYRUP!!!!! And yes, the physicians are excited to work with us. They’re used to working with Texas A&M students. Having BCM students just means a different school to work with. We have several physicians list their research projects through MINDS, Temple’s version of the SOAR database, the original research database for BCM. You log into MINDS (if you’re in Temple) and look for research opportunities that you like, then the physicians text or call you.
Faculty is super excited to work with us. I wanted a hospice volunteering opportunity for Temple (Houston had the No One Dies Alone program), and so I spoke with BSW administration and began the hospice volunteering opportunity for Temple students with the hospital 🙂
I see why you're a big promoter of the campus. Dean Cable also made a positive impression on me during interview day.
Yeah, I'm aware of the differences but it can for sure be confusing, especially when I tell people I interviewed at Baylor and they say strange things like "Sic 'em Bears!" (I'm a Longhorn) or "Isn't Waco where that crazy cult was from?"A historical digression:
Baylor Scott & White Hospital has had medical students for many years, from several med schools including A&M, McGovern, and others.
Some current Texas A&M students rotate at "Baylor University Medical Center-Dallas" which is part of the Baylor Scott & White Health/hospital system but not associated with Baylor College of Medicine.
Baylor Scott & White Hospitals have had active residencies in several specialties as well. It will no doubt benefit them to have an affiliation with Baylor College of Medicine, rather than being free-standing residencies. The nice thing for Baylor/Temple Branch students is: there is a full-fledged teaching hospital there in Temple, ready for them when they reach 3rd and 4th year.
Non-Texans and (some Texans too) don't know that the Baylor Scott & White Hospital system is not the same as Baylor College of Medicine.
History of B S & W: History
Baylor COM hospital affiliates: https://www.bcm.edu/about-us/affiliates
I tell them "Baylor is not Baylor is not Baylor" - AKA Baylor University is not Baylor College of Medicine is not Baylor, Scott, and White.
However, all the Baylors are awesome (except the Bears, we don't talk about them)
I love Dr. Cable. I consider him my friend, which is not very common amongst Deans in schools.
We have named him Dean Providence for selecting @MCAThiccy personally.I love Dr. Cable. I consider him my friend, which is not very common amongst Deans in schools.
I guess BCM students will be starting rotations pretty soon - end of first year now?A historical digression:
The nice thing for Baylor/Temple Branch students is: there is a full-fledged teaching hospital there in Temple, ready for them when they reach 3rd and 4th year.
Non-Texans and (some Texans too) don't know that the Baylor Scott & White Hospital system is not the same as Baylor College of Medicine.
History of B S & W: History
Baylor COM hospital affiliates: https://www.bcm.edu/about-us/affiliates
I love seeing @MCAThiccy on here. Yall are so lucky to have them at Baylor College of Medicine Temple Campus (not to be confused with Baylor College of Medicine Houston Campus, Baylor University or Baylor, Scott, and White)
there are more - Baylor All Saints Medical Center Fort Worth
glucosedestroyer
Full Member
Anyone thinking this is the week the first offers go out? 🙂
Got a call this morning—prematched!!
Congrats!!! Must feel amazing to prematch at Baylor 🙂Got a call this morning—prematched!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mindresolve
Full Member
Congrats!! When did you interview?Got a call this morning—prematched!!
Got a pre-match call this morning! Interviewed 8/18.
D
deleted1169361
Do prematch calls go out all day/morning? I assume yes?
Calling takes longer than sending out emails so logically it will be spread out.Do prematch calls go out all day/morning? I assume yes?
Answer your area code 713, 281, or 832 area code calls today 🙂
i hope @MCAThiccy is making each call personally ❤️