2023-2024 Central Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Central Michigan Secondary Prompts

1. Please provide a brief summary of your affiliation with any County selected (there is a list of counties above the text box that you can select from) (250 words).

2. Describe your motivation for applying to the CMU College of Medicine and your future career in medicine. Finally, describe how your preparation and background will contribute to the mission of the CMU College of Medicine. (1000 words)

3. [REAPP ONLY]: If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box. (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the residents Essay prompt is even asking? Do we briefly answer our affiliation or go into how we are an active citizen in our community?
can you link this year's secondaries?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know what the residents Essay prompt is even asking? Do we briefly answer our affiliation or go into how we are an active citizen in our community?
Post Secondaries plz

Members don't see this ad :)
PLEASE POST SECONDARIES IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THEM. THANK YOU !!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received. Here are the prompts:
1. Please provide a brief summary of your affiliation with any County selected (there is a list of counties above the text box that you can select from) (250 words)

2. Describe your motivation for applying to the CMU College of Medicine and your future career in medicine. Finally, describe how your preparation and background will contribute to the mission of the CMU College of Medicine. (1000 words)

3. [REAPP ONLY]: If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box. (500 words)

Biographic Data

If you answer yes, you get 400 characters to expand.

I belong to a race or ethnicity considered underrepresented in medicine.
YesNo

I am the first person in my immediate family to attend college (excluding siblings).
YesNo

I was born or grew up in a rural community.
YesNo

I come from an economically disadvantaged background.
YesNo

I have overcome a significant hardship.
YesNo

I identify with a group/community not listed above or have additional information to share.
YesNo

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received today, OOS

Also...are y'all aiming for the full 1000 words on that essay? I'm at like 660 words and feel pretty maxed out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received today, OOS

Also...are y'all aiming for the full 1000 words on that essay? I'm at like 660 words and feel pretty maxed out!
I have heard that you are supposed to aim for at least 80% of the character/word limit, so I submitted with 805 words, but I don’t know if that applies to all prompts! 1,000 max is definitely hefty though. Good luck on your applications!

Reactions: 1 users
Is Central Michigan OOS friendly to applicants with much higher MCAT's than its median (i.e. 90th percentile)? I'd love to go here!

When they ask "Please provide additional details about being underrepresented in medicine" do they mean just list the race/ethnicity you are or do they want to describe our experience being URM?

What happens if I have the same answer for the two gap year questions: "Describe what activities you have engaged in since degree completion." and "If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine?"

Is it fine to copy paste the same answer?

What happens if I have the same answer for the two gap year questions: "Describe what activities you have engaged in since degree completion." and "If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine?"

Is it fine to copy paste the same answer?
I did a basic summary for the first one and went in depth with the second because there was more words

Does this school typically take a while to send out secondaries? Was verified last week and heard nothing yet.

Does this school typically take a while to send out secondaries? Was verified last week and heard nothing yet.
I think you're fine! I was verified back in mid-June, but still didn't get a secondary until mid-July.

anyone get close to the word count for the main essay? I have 930 words and i'm afraid it's way too much, what is everyone shooting for? Should I try to cut down to 800?

II just now! OOS, complete 7/17

Yes, only had august 25th, thankfully I don't work that day
Okay glad it's not just me! I'll be on a family trip that day, so I guess I'm bringing my laptop and interview clothes with me!

Did anyone that completed secondary after 7/17 receive an II? I am hoping that they are going by completion dates...

Was the first batch of II's mostly OOS? Asking because two people on here were OOS and CMU has a strong IS bias.

Was the first batch of II's mostly OOS? Asking because two people on here were OOS and CMU has a strong IS bias.
It sort of seems that way. I have an II but am OOS, not super strong ties either.

Congrats to people getting II's. I have yet to get a secondary, verified a month ago.

Complete 8/5, this is my dream school so hopefully II soon, but I took Casper a week or two ago so I know they’re probably waiting on that?

Wishing the best to those with upcoming IIs! Had my interview today, and I enjoyed it! All the adcoms seemed great.

Reactions: 4 users
I thought Casper is recommended
I thought I saw on the website it was required, and I saw the Casper website had them to automatically send to so I assumed it was required. It wasn’t until after I took the exam for them and MSU that I got an email saying my app was complete so I’m assuming they were waiting on that.

I thought I saw on the website it was required, and I saw the Casper website had them to automatically send to so I assumed it was required. It wasn’t until after I took the exam for them and MSU that I got an email saying my app was complete so I’m assuming they were waiting on that.

I emailed them and they told me it would not be used in an evaluation, since I took PREview and wanted to see if it was acceptable over Casper. They completely said Casper was not going to be used in there evaluation process, which was very confusing because the website mentioned it’s highly recommended.

I emailed them and they told me it would not be used in an evaluation, since I took PREview and wanted to see if it was acceptable over Casper. They completely said Casper was not going to be used in there evaluation process, which was very confusing because the website mentioned it’s highly recommended.
Yeah thank you! I saw that too and thought it had to be done.

Has anyone gotten an II since the ones on 8/16?

Reactions: 2 users