You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Western Michigan (Stryker)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think I saw a previous post saying email. I hope we both get a phone call today though 😊Do applicants put on the waitlist get a phone call or email?
zerobaseonetrash
Full Member
i interview 11/17, does anyone remember when they said we will hear?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TheMagicDude
Full Member
OOS, received WL today. II on 11/10.
kleinesproblem
Full Member
OOS II received today, phone II mid August. N=1 but I submitted a letter of interest recently
futuredochow
Full Member
OOS, received WL today. II on 11/10.
Same here, IS WL today
Received the A call about 2 hours ago!!! OOS, LM 72, II on 11/17!
I’m a reapplicant and this is my first A so to say that I’m happy and relieved is an understatement😭
I’m a reapplicant and this is my first A so to say that I’m happy and relieved is an understatement😭
Congrats! did you email or upload the LOI?OOS II received today, phone II mid August. N=1 but I submitted a letter of interest recently
kleinesproblem
Full Member
Thanks, I just uploaded it to the portal.Congrats! did you email or upload the LOI?
Maketamine4
Full Member
IS phone II received 11/30, submitted 7/22
Can someone who already interviewed help me out? What was the group interview like- more MMI or is it a standard interview? Feel free to DM me!
Thanks!
Thanks!
TheMagicDude
Full Member
It’s a traditional interview.Can someone who already interviewed help me out? What was the group interview like- more MMI or is it a standard interview? Feel free to DM me!
Thanks!
But just in a group?It’s a traditional interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TheMagicDude
Full Member
One on one interview with a WMed faculty/ staff. There’s a group activity if I am not mistaking but it’s not an interview.But just in a group?
zerobaseonetrash
Full Member
its only 1 and its 30 minHow long is the 1:1? (Is it only 1?)
zerobaseonetrash
Full Member
some of the people in mine talked over each other lol but as long as ur not a jerk you'll be fine, you cant really prepare for itOh wow! Thank you 🙂 was the group thing low key?
From my experience, I felt that the phone interview was more serious/standardized as compared to the virtual interview. The phone interview really focused on the questions asked whereas the virtual interview felt very conversational and more of a "vibe check" rather than an actual interview. My guess is that they use the phone interview mainly to evaluate competencies (communication, service orientation, resilience, etc).OOS Phone Interview, completed 7/18. Anyone have any advice for the phone interview? Do they ask traditional questions?
With that being said, for the phone interview, I would prepare by having some solid answers to typical job interview questions like "what is your greatest strength/weakness" or "tell me about a time you failed." I would also be prepared to share your thoughts on the medical field. And as others have mentioned both here and on Reddit, there are some questions that are more "unique" and require you to think on your feet. You can't really prepare for them but I personally found those questions fun to answer and I think they just want to see your thought process.
Another thing that I found helpful was to speak in an excited tone and smile throughout the interview (even though they can't see you). I think this helped with transmitting a positive energy through the phone and I think it got my interviewer to loosen up a little bit. During my prep, I read online from previous years that the phone interview was kind of awkward because the interviewers are supposed to be stoic and not give you any indication as to how they viewed your response. But for my phone interview, my interviewer conversed with me, sometimes responded with "excellent" or "great" after I finished talking, and even joked around a few times, which I wasn't expecting but I think was influenced by how I spoke to them from the moment I answered the call.
Finally, I highly recommend remembering/writing down your interviewer's name in the beginning and using their name in your responses as it makes the interview feel more personal and memorable. And definitely thank your interviewer for their time before ending the call.
Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions! More than happy to help!
Last edited:
If you're referring to the group activity, it's not really like an MMI or a standard interview. You are assigned to a small group and they ask your group to work through a task together, so it's intended to assess how you communicate and work with others and I found it to be pretty fun and light hearted. Definitely go into it with an open mind and be receptive to other people's opinions and you'll do great!Can someone who already interviewed help me out? What was the group interview like- more MMI or is it a standard interview? Feel free to DM me!
Thanks!
Did you send a thank you letter to your phone interviewer?From my experience, I felt that the phone interview was more serious/standardized as compared to the virtual interview. The phone interview really focused on the questions asked whereas the virtual interview felt very conversational and more of a "vibe check" rather than an actual interview. My guess is that they use the phone interview mainly to evaluate competencies (communication, service orientation, resilience, etc).
With that being said, for the phone interview, I would prepare by having some solid answers to typical job interview questions like "what is your greatest strength/weakness" or "tell me about a time you failed." I would also be prepared to share your thoughts on the medical field. And as others have mentioned both here and on Reddit, there are some questions that are more "unique" and require you to think on your feet. You can't really prepare for them but I personally found those questions fun to answer and I think they just want to see your thought process.
Another thing that I found helpful was to speak in an excited tone and smile throughout the interview (even though they can't see you). I think this helped with transmitting a positive energy through the phone and I think it got my interviewer to loosen up a little bit. During my prep, I read online from previous years that the phone interview was kind of awkward because the interviewers are supposed to be stoic and give you any indication as to how they viewed your response. But for my phone interview, my interviewer conversed with me and even joked around a few times, which I wasn't expecting but I think was due to how I spoke from the moment I answered the call.
Finally, I highly recommend remembering/writing down your interviewer's name in the beginning and using their name in your responses as it makes the interview feel more personal and memorable. And definitely thank your interviewer for their time before ending the call.
Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions! More than happy to help!
Does anyone have advice for those who completed their phone II back in the summer and still have not heard regarding a virtual interview? Anyone else been in a similar boat?
Only 450 of you will move forward to an official interview- see the link to admissions process in the first post of this thread.Does anyone have advice for those who completed their phone II back in the summer and still have not heard regarding a virtual interview? Anyone else been in a similar boat?
Thanks for the response, I am familiar with their process. Just was hoping to hear from either any of the current students there that were in a similar boat or from current applicants that were in a similar position but got a virtual II!Only 450 of you will move forward to an official interview- see the link to admissions process in the first post of this thread.
UserNameIsTitan
Full Member
If I remember correctly, the phone interviewers are from a third party source, so I'm not sure it's even possible to send anything.Did you send a thank you letter to your phone interviewer?
OK, thanks, I thought so too except they introduced themselves as from Western Michigan.If I remember correctly, the phone interviewers are from a third party source, so I'm not sure it's even possible to send anything.
I did not but I also do not think that a thank you letter/email would’ve helped that much for the phone interview. The phone interviews are conducted by a third-party company so I think that expressing your thanks at the end of the interview is more than enough. I also wouldn’t bother to ask for a contact email for the phone interviewer but that’s just me!Did you send a thank you letter to your phone interviewer?
But for the virtual interview, I sent thank you emails to everyone that I remember being involved in the interview day.
Did anyone else get a hand-written thank you postcard in the mail after interviewing from the adcoms? Such a nice touch wow
UserNameIsTitan
Full Member
I also received one today! Haven't gotten anything like that from my other interviews, super thoughtful and appreciated.Did anyone else get a hand-written thank you postcard in the mail after interviewing from the adcoms? Such a nice touch wow
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
curlypremed2000
New Member
Not yet! So nervous, haha.anybody from 12/1 interview hear anything back?
Lillian Joseph
Full Member
Phone interview just now! Complete late July
UserNameIsTitan
Full Member
+1just got hit with the WL, interview was 12/1
burreanbito
Full Member
Same but 12/8just got hit with the WL, interview was 12/1
LunarPhoenix42
Full Member
just got the A, LM 69, secondary submitted 8/31, phone interview 9/21, interview 12/1
snowywinter7
Full Member
Also, for those of you on the WL: I was interviewed on 10/13, was WL on 10/19, and got the A on 11/29 - things seem to be moving pretty fast regarding the waitlist, so don't lose hope!
Dr. Ruby 2023
Full Member
They emailed me this morning that they will send more virtual interviews after New Years as they are taking a short break. They said they will send roughly 230 more virtual interviews and that they don't do silent rejections. If they decide to no longer consider you, they will let you know with an e-mail. Happy holidays everyone! 🙂
Thank youu! I'm OOSIS?
also congrats!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stats?Also, for those of you on the WL: I was interviewed on 10/13, was WL on 10/19, and got the A on 11/29 - things seem to be moving pretty fast regarding the waitlist, so don't lose hope!
humbletumble
Full Member
Hello! I dont think anyone can answer this with any certainty, but would it be any good to submit my secondary now? 😅
Neur-out-of-my-mind
Full Member
Do you have an application that warrants being looked at over the thousands of individuals who applied early?Hello! I dont think anyone can answer this with any certainty, but would it be any good to submit my secondary now? 😅
there are so, so many less passive aggressive ways of wording this…Do you have an application that warrants being looked at over the thousands of individuals who applied early?
humbletumble
Full Member
yikes I’m well aware of that. I should’ve been more clear with my post, I’m only wondering how far into their interview process they’ve gotten. Anyways I’m just bored waiting for other responses and just thought of asking since I got the deadline reminder email today.Do you have an application that warrants being looked at over the thousands of individuals who applied early?
Good luck future physician 😀