2023-2024 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was accepted in November but recall admissions emphasizing this during my interview as well. Most people get deferred and accepted in March!
damnn, you got 25 II and 12 A's no wonder they wanted you early!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Just attended the town hall, they said they're going to have all decisions out by March 1st

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There was a town hall? Where did the info for it come from

You probs already attended the first ones in 2023, this was another ECMH one for those who got interviews later
Okay so I'll be so honest, I thought this was the Mayo thread because I forgot @MayoPleaseLoveMe even responds to any other threads 💀 I did go to the PBL one recently haha

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Do they offer medical campus tours at any point or is it just the second look days? I love everything about FSM and I'd like to see it in person, but I have prior commitments on 4/11-4/12.

Do they offer medical campus tours at any point or is it just the second look days? I love everything about FSM and I'd like to see it in person, but I have prior commitments on 4/11-4/12.
U can email and they will more than likely setup a day for you to visit

Does Feinberg prefer its own undergrad students? I feel like every other interviewee and student went to Northwestern for undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Feinberg prefer its own undergrad students? I feel like every other interviewee and student went to Northwestern for undergrad
Northwestern also has a few programs for FSM admission that are only for their undergrads, so I think most NU students who get in are via those pathways and not the regular cycle

Northwestern also has a few programs for FSM admission that are only for their undergrads, so I think most NU students who get in are via those pathways and not the regular cycle
Worth noting that's typically only around 10-15 students.

The last class for HPME (highschool-FSM pipeline) matriculated this past fall, so it is likely there is more room for NU undergrads applying regular decision or NUPSP (early track for NU juniors) assuming they meet FSM's qualifications. According to the linked article, each HPME class had ~20 students, but whether they give those spots to NU undergrads (whether through NUPSP or trad) or just other qualified applicants, idk.

The last class for HPME (highschool-FSM pipeline) matriculated this past fall, so it is likely there is more room for NU undergrads applying regular decision or NUPSP (early track for NU juniors) assuming they meet FSM's qualifications. According to the linked article, each HPME class had ~20 students, but whether they give those spots to NU undergrads (whether through NUPSP or trad) or just other qualified applicants, idk.

I wonder if this was replaced by NUPSP, not an NU undergraduate but don’t recall it existing.

Either way, it would be nice to know if this was factored into their in-state admissions data as seen on US News, which says that almost 80 students were accepted out of the ~120 interviewed.

I wonder if this was replaced by NUPSP, not an NU undergraduate but don’t recall it existing.

Either way, it would be nice to know if this was factored into their in-state admissions data as seen on US News, which says that almost 80 students were accepted out of the ~120 interviewed.
NUPSP has existed for some time with HPME still running. It is just not that heard of because very few students get in that way I'd assume. That being said, no clue if Feinberg has a preference for NU undergrads statistically.

NUPSP has existed for some time with HPME still running. It is just not that heard of because very few students get in that way I'd assume. That being said, no clue if Feinberg has a preference for NU undergrads statistically.
Just from what I've observed, there were SO many Northwestern undergraduate alumni that were student panelists in the Town Hall sessions. Also, many people that also had "Northwestern University" in their name as interviewees lol.

Can't say I blame them, but anecdotally from me there seems to be a bit of favoritism. Which is fine, it is what it is.

Just from what I've observed, there were SO many Northwestern undergraduate alumni that were student panelists in the Town Hall sessions. Also, many people that also had "Northwestern University" in their name as interviewees lol.

Can't say I blame them, but anecdotally from me there seems to be a bit of favoritism. Which is fine, it is what it is.
Also saw this and was a bit shook but yeah I agree they have the right to accept who they want lol as long as I'm included

Probably helps with their yield to do so, which they seem to care about

Maybe because the Dean of Admissions did both her BA and MD at Northwestern haha, noticed the same thing though.

This is true, but I think a lot of them may have been interviewees for NUPSP.

Any idea if there’s financial assistance for attending second look day? I searched online and couldn’t find anything.

This is true, but I think a lot of them may have been interviewees for NUPSP.
Yeah totally possible! First time I'm hearing about this program to be honest -- any idea if interviewees from this program might artificially inflate Northwestern's post-II acceptance rate?

Yeah totally possible! First time I'm hearing about this program to be honest -- any idea if interviewees from this program might artificially inflate Northwestern's post-II acceptance rate?
I feel like it would stay. If they include their acceptances, I think they'd include the interviewed people as well within admissions data. Not sure about HPME students though and how the were included

^ per the convo above, it's actually refreshing in my opinion to see a medical school interviewing a lot of their own undergrads -- shows confidence in the rigor of the program (and no, I didn't do undergrad at NU)

• Love
Also just checked MSAR, last year 5 students seemed to have been from NUPSP and 4 through the discontinued BS/MD program

Also just checked MSAR, last year 5 students seemed to have been from NUPSP and 4 through the discontinued BS/MD program
Thanks for checking that, I don't have access to MSAR so I really appreciate it!

That's a lot less than I thought considering the size of the FSM class

I think it might be 7 for NUPSP and 16 for HPME (looking at the total column not in state)

also side note: no one got in via early decision according to the data o-o

I think it might be 7 for NUPSP and 16 for HPME (looking at the total column not in state)

also side note: no one got in via early decision according to the data o-o
Could be that no applicant good enough for Fienberg would risk an entire application cycle for a selective school

Early decision seems to be a reasonable option when it comes to state schools or something

So maybe no one even applied?

Anecdotal but I interviewed for NUPSP once upon a time and I think about 15-20 students got in that way (this was post HPME though) and at some point the dean said something along the lines of "we love keeping our own students". I am not sure if there is a correlation between NU student and FSM but I think there is definitely a correlation between NUPSP reject and a regular FSM A (I know a lot of students who were NUPSP R and regular A; this could be due to the fact that NUPSP is essentially binding so it shows very strong interest).

I just got the interview thank you package and thought it was an A... RIP I had no idea that was a thing

Is the US News data from last year? I remember it being around 60% for IS and 50% for OOS in 2022

Is the US News data from last year? I remember it being around 60% for IS and 50% for OOS in 2022
Yea last year, so it was around 64%

Anyone know why they got in state preference

Probably has to do some with yield, IS applicants being more likely to pick them
yea true I guess, I sent in an intent letter too as an in state applicant so hopefully it works in my favor

yea true I guess, I sent in an intent letter too as an in state applicant so hopefully it works in my favor
I know for sure they love to take people with significant demonstrated interest, so an intent letter which is a step above will definitely help your chances. Rooting for you to get that A!!

Would a letter or interest instead of intent be looked upon poorly or is any interest better than none?

Would a letter or interest instead of intent be looked upon poorly or is any interest better than none?
Def helps your case and would not be looked upon poorly. They know intent letters are essentially binding so it is not expected

So are we thinking some time next week?
They said by 3/1 at the February Applicant Town Halls and historically they like to release on Thurs/Fri the last week of Feb or first week of March so it almost certainly will be 2/29 or 3/1.