2023-2024 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 OOS verified 6/13

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 IS secondary received!! Dream school right here 😭😭😭😭

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These are the UC schools that require it, according to the AAMC:
  • University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
  • University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
Source

I can't find anything about UCSD recommending or requiring it for the application.
Yeah lol I cut UCLA because of the PreView, only school on my list that had it.

worth applying OOS to this school? Curious if anyone has any insight on "mission fit" and the kind of student the school is looking for.

Is the optional essay meant only for those who face disparities/come from a disadvantaged community? Is it appropriate to write an essay about how disparities have impacted the communities I have served instead?

I'm slightly confused about the most meaningful secondary question...

On AMCAS, when you add an activity, you give a description and then get another 700 characters or something (forgot lol) to describe why it is most meaningful. So I see where to describe the activity w/ 100 characters, but where do I go now to describe why its most meaningful?

I'm slightly confused about the most meaningful secondary question...

On AMCAS, when you add an activity, you give a description and then get another 700 characters or something (forgot lol) to describe why it is most meaningful. So I see where to describe the activity w/ 100 characters, but where do I go now to describe why its most meaningful?
There should be a checkbox on the Work/Activities main screen asking you "is this a most meaningful activity?"

There should be a checkbox on the Work/Activities main screen asking you "is this a most meaningful activity?"

On the UCSD secondary it says
In addition to the information you provided on the AMCAS application, we would like to know if there are any additional activities you would consider among your most meaningful. This may include activities that you’ve already completed but couldn’t include as you were limited to three selections on the AMCAS application, or it may include a new activity that began after your initial AMCAS application was submitted. Use the “Add” button below to enter a new activity.
They give us 100 characters for each activity we add.
This is literally all I could fit in for example
This would be a most meaningful for me due to the amount of patient interaction I am able to get.

IS Secondary received this morning. Would schools look at applications more favorably if I fill out their optional essays compared if I decide not to fill it out?

Is the optional essay meant only for those who face disparities/come from a disadvantaged community? Is it appropriate to write an essay about how disparities have impacted the communities I have served instead?
the prompt states "you and your community" so I'm guessing they only want us to speak from personal experiences. i am also debating on the same thing but I think I may just leave it blank since I don't want to force something that never existed.

For some reason, I don't see anything like that. It just asks me for hours, time spent, data started/completed, and if I have a LOR associated with the position.

the prompt states "you and your community" so I'm guessing they only want us to speak from personal experiences. i am also debating on the same thing but I think I may just leave it blank since I don't want to force something that never existed.
To get access to this secondary question, you have to answer Yes to a question that asks:

"Do you consider yourself to be a member of a group that is marginalized in a way that systemically affects access to quality education or healthcare?"

If you answer No, you don't get access to that secondary question. So I think they're more referring to being a member of the community (such as living in an underserved area) rather than for example doing an extracurricular where you helped out patients who live in these areas.

I don't know if I have the energy to write an entire other personal statement for the first question :cryi: are y'all just combining other essays together or genuinely starting from scratch?

I don't know if I have the energy to write an entire other personal statement for the first question :cryi: are y'all just combining other essays together or genuinely starting from scratch?

Prob gonna be something like 25% new 75% patchwork of other essays

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any insights if I should be answering this question:

"Please describe how educational disparity, health disparity and/or marginalization has impacted you and your community?"

I have a rare situation where I am low income, ORM, but both parents are college educated. Because of financial struggles, I didn't plan to attend college until I was a junior in high school. However, I've been incredibly privileged compared to my friends who were unable to attend college or compared to my older brother who dropped out to get a job to support our family. Therefore, I feel like I haven't been marginalized as I was able to overcome those hardships.

Just don't wanna write something that could negatively impact my app if it looks like I'm writing filler

Does anyone have any insights if I should be answering this question:

"Please describe how educational disparity, health disparity and/or marginalization has impacted you and your community?"

I have a rare situation where I am low income, ORM, but both parents are college educated. Because of financial struggles, I didn't plan to attend college until I was a junior in high school. However, I've been incredibly privileged compared to my friends who were unable to attend college or compared to my older brother who dropped out to get a job to support our family. Therefore, I feel like I haven't been marginalized as I was able to overcome those hardships.

Just don't wanna write something that could negatively impact my app if it looks like I'm writing filler
Were you affected in any way during the first 18 years of your life? That is how AMCAS defines it.

So I think you were but it is up to you if you don't think you are really.

For the most meaningful experiences section, is it asking us only to add meaningful experiences we didn't already input into our primary, or is it also asking us to input activities listed on our primary that we didn't initially classify as "most meaningful" but that we still consider meaningful?

For the most meaningful experiences section, is it asking us only to add meaningful experiences we didn't already input into our primary, or is it also asking us to input activities listed on our primary that we didn't initially classify as "most meaningful" but that we still consider meaningful?
I've read mixed things online, but from the wording of the question, it seems they're okay with us also including activities listed in our primary that just aren't one of the three MMEs we identified. It's a pretty ambiguously-worded question though, especially since they state "do not list any activity more than once," but I'm 90% sure this is referring to not repeating activities as MMEs.

If anybody else has confirmation one way or another, it'd be much appreciated!

I've read mixed things online, but from the wording of the question, it seems they're okay with us also including activities listed in our primary that just aren't one of the three MMEs we identified. It's a pretty ambiguously-worded question though, especially since they state "do not list any activity more than once," but I'm 90% sure this is referring to not repeating activities as MMEs.

If anybody else has confirmation one way or another, it'd be much appreciated!
Are you able to talk for more than 100 characters about it? On my end, its only 100 character description and no "Why is this most meaningful?" essay.

So I don't think you need to repeat MMEs from the primary

Are you able to talk for more than 100 characters about it? On my end, its only 100 character description and no "Why is this most meaningful?" essay.

So I don't think you need to repeat MMEs from the primary
I agree! I was saying that their instructions to not list any activity more than once is likely specifically about MMEs, rather than activities in general (i.e. if you listed an activity on your primary but didn't identify it as an MME, you probably can list it as an MME for the purposes of the UCSD secondary, but you can't list one of the three MMEs you already identified in your primary).

And no, it seems they only want 100 characters total for the ones we're adding in the UCSD secondary (with no additional longer essay, like the primary app had for MMEs). It's super short for UCSD!

I agree! I was saying that their instructions to not list any activity more than once is likely specifically about MMEs, rather than activities in general (i.e. if you listed an activity on your primary but didn't identify it as an MME, you probably can list it as an MME for the purposes of the UCSD secondary, but you can't list one of the three MMEs you already identified in your primary).

And no, it seems they only want 100 characters total for the ones we're adding in the UCSD secondary (with no additional longer essay, like the primary app had for MMEs). It's super short for UCSD!
Got it okay, I was wondering why I couldn't find a most meaningful essay option for the secondary.

Anyone else still waiting for an IS invite? Starting to get worried....

wondering what category EM would fit under for q4... dont come at me harsh yall

wondering what category EM would fit under for q4... dont come at me harsh yall
If you mean EM as in Emergency Medicine, that would be primary care or other. A lot of times EM is considered primary care but it doesn’t seem to be listed in their example for the question so it might be worth a quick email to see if they consider it so.

If you mean EM as in Emergency Medicine, that would be primary care or other. A lot of times EM is considered primary care but it doesn’t seem to be listed in their example for the question so it might be worth a quick email to see if they consider it so.
Ok those were my thoughts exactly. Thank you!

Is anyone else having issues getting marked complete? Both my LORs (one committee one individual) are in in their system but the Status page shows them as incomplete.