2023-2024 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 OOS, secondary received. Email says that secondaries are due one month after receiving them, but I'm assuming standard "2-week rule" applies? Also, does anyone know what percentage of applicants are sent a secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

+1 OOS, secondary received. Email says that secondaries are due one month after receiving them, but I'm assuming standard "2-week rule" applies? Also, does anyone know what percentage of applicants are sent a secondary?
If they give you a month, that is their deadline and they won’t expect to see it in 2 weeks

Reactions: 4 users
If they give you a month, that is their deadline and they won’t expect to see it in 2 weeks
Thank you for always bringing reality back to premedical students. I appreciate you alleviating the neuroticsm of the applications lol

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else not get the acknowledgement email and still no secondary?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if I have the energy to write an entire other personal statement for the first question :cryi: are y'all just combining other essays together or genuinely starting from scratch?
Didn't you notice this when you were Pre-writing/researching secondaries?

I generally advise applicants that you should have enough material to write at least 3 different PS because you never know which schools ask you for a new autobiography/PS or you have to reapply. Obviously I did know about UCSD. ;)

I don't know if I have the energy to write an entire other personal statement for the first question :cryi: are y'all just combining other essays together or genuinely starting from scratch?
I wrote an autobiography for the first ~3500 characters, and then copy pasted a secondary i did for drexel talking about clinical experiences to make up the remaining 2500 characters. it sounds like a lot when you head in but it ended up being one of the easier ones i did tbh. It depends on how much you have to talk about life challenges before college

"We would also like to know if a letter of recommendation has been submitted on your behalf by somebody you worked with through this experience. If you do not have a letter from this experience, simply type N/A. This information allows Admissions Committee members reviewing your application to more readily match your letters to your experiences and thus facilitates the review of your application."

I am confused, so some of the most meaningful that I put on AMCAS that it already has listed for me have letter writers but I can't figure out how to put that into those entries that already listed. Do I make an entry for those and put the letter author, or do I just leave it without an author as it is right now?

"We would also like to know if a letter of recommendation has been submitted on your behalf by somebody you worked with through this experience. If you do not have a letter from this experience, simply type N/A. This information allows Admissions Committee members reviewing your application to more readily match your letters to your experiences and thus facilitates the review of your application."

I am confused, so some of the most meaningful that I put on AMCAS that it already has listed for me have letter writers but I can't figure out how to put that into those entries that already listed. Do I make an entry for those and put the letter author, or do I just leave it without an author as it is right now?
I would like to know this too. None of this makes any sense to me. There is not enough space for anything!

how many more most meaningfuls is everyone adding? not sure if three is too much. Also is adding a hobby as an addition MME okay?

does anyone know what the MCAT blind consists of for UCSD? I wanted to forward my app to UCSD as soon as it is verified but it has my old low af MCAT score. My new one will not be in until late august. Some people tell me to send my app to UCSD because they are mcat blind but I do not want to risk being screened out because of my low mcat.

verified 07/20 and no IS secondary yet, anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
verified 07/20 and no IS secondary yet, anyone else?
Same - Apparently people have been getting a confirmation email that UCSD received their primary app from AMCAS, but I haven't heard anything back yet, verified 07/18

Hey guys, my mom went through bouts of employment and unemployment in my life. How should I put this down in the secondary application when asking about employment history?

Hey guys, my mom went through bouts of employment and unemployment in my life. How should I put this down in the secondary application when asking about employment history?
I included it in the 6000 character essay for mine so I think thats the best place. Its a bit hard to fit it in when the ranges are so large (0-5, 6-17, etc.)

I included it in the 6000 character essay for mine so I think thats the best place. Its a bit hard to fit it in when the ranges are so large (0-5, 6-17, etc.)
I did something similar, do you think saying "employed and unemployed" would work in those categories?

What are people talking about for these? Does it have to be the community we grew up in? Our current community? A community we lived in at one point?
I talked about the communities I identified with-- Latinx and the one I grew up in, then mentioned experiences I saw my parents and husband go through etc.

I talked about the communities I identified with-- Latinx and the one I grew up in, then mentioned experiences I saw my parents and husband go through etc.
Would it be valid in that case to talk about health disparities in the UK? I lived in Scotland for four years and they have a lot of issues with access to care and other social issues atm

Would it be valid in that case to talk about health disparities in the UK? I lived in Scotland for four years and they have a lot of issues with access to care and other social issues atm
I would only talk about it if you can can talk about seeing someone close to you struggle with the effects of that. That's my opinion though, maybe some others can weigh in

I would only talk about it if you can can talk about seeing someone close to you struggle with the effects of that. That's my opinion though, maybe some others can weigh in
My flatmate in university had depression and the waiting times were so long to see a psych in Scotland he ended up attempting suicide. I had to pick him up from the hospital myself because his parents couldn’t do it

• Sad
If we say that we want to be considered for the PRIME-Heq program, will we still be considered for the regular MD program if we’re rejected from PRIME?

My flatmate in university had depression and the waiting times were so long to see a psych in Scotland he ended up attempting suicide. I had to pick him up from the hospital myself because his parents couldn’t do it
I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I think that’s appropriate for the question if you want to share it.

I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I think that’s appropriate for the question if you want to share it.
Thank you its not something I had thought about in a while tbh. But these questions do make you think I suppose and it was almost like an 'oh yeah that happened' when it was objectively one of the worst experiences ever

• Care
If we say that we want to be considered for the PRIME-Heq program, will we still be considered for the regular MD program if we’re rejected from PRIME?
From what I have read, you need to be accepted into the MD program before you can be considered for PRIME

Verified 7/6 and received secondary 8/7. They seem to be pretty random with when they send out secondaries.

Do you guys know whether the people that make decisions regarding PRIME-HEq and GHAC see our secondary applications? I'm having trouble answering these prompts without repeating information from my autobiographical statement since it's all so interconnected, so I'm trying to figure out whether that is okay or not.

Do you guys know whether the people that make decisions regarding PRIME-HEq and GHAC see our secondary applications? I'm having trouble answering these prompts without repeating information from my autobiographical statement since it's all so interconnected, so I'm trying to figure out whether that is okay or not.
I don’t know, but I expanded on something from my autobiographical statement. I told them my whole life story so there’s nothing I could’ve left out for other questions, but also not enough room to expand. So I used the PRIME-HEq for that.

does it make sense to mention you're a reapplicant in the autobiographical sketch? to give context to like gap year experiences or whatever?

Also, I know UCSD doesn't accept application updates so where would it be most appropriate to inform them of a publication?

Those of you who received secondaries, did you also receive a confirmation that they had initially received ur app? or just a secondary invite?

did you decide to list your MMEs for the letter writers?? wondering the same!!

does it make sense to mention you're a reapplicant in the autobiographical sketch? to give context to like gap year experiences or whatever?
I did. I think it would make your story seem disingenuous if you didn't include it somewhere tbh. Plus, I'm willing to bet that being a reapplicant did affect the way you view medicine and made you truly reflect on why you wanted to be a physician. It overall makes your secondary better imo because it shows adcoms that you are acknowledging your faults and how despite it all, you still are putting yourself through another app cycle to be a doctor. Cheers to you mate, hopefully we both have a fruitful cycle this time around!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if the month deadline is a hard or soft deadline? If anyone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated

Does anyone know if the month deadline is a hard or soft deadline? If anyone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated
On MSAR it says: Recommend submission within one month of your secondary application invitation but this is a soft deadline. Secondary application will remain open for all applicants until January 19, 2024

On MSAR it says: Recommend submission within one month of your secondary application invitation but this is a soft deadline. Secondary application will remain open for all applicants until January 19, 2024
The email said within a month.

I'm not sure I trust that, since MSAR can be inaccurate and the secondary email and application portal both indicate a 1 month deadline or due date with no mention of wiggle room. Either way, I'd say it's better safe than sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all comments fam 🥰🥰. We submitting this biddy asap

1692396361953.png

1692396556740.png

@ whoever is in charge of writing the subject for this email :mad: (/s)

my heart dropped

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I've read mixed things online, but from the wording of the question, it seems they're okay with us also including activities listed in our primary that just aren't one of the three MMEs we identified. It's a pretty ambiguously-worded question though, especially since they state "do not list any activity more than once," but I'm 90% sure this is referring to not repeating activities as MMEs.

If anybody else has confirmation one way or another, it'd be much appreciated!
Was wondering the same! Haven't seen an update yet but came to the same conclusion as you, so approaching it that way for now.