You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 UC San Diego
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If they give you a month, that is their deadline and they won’t expect to see it in 2 weeks+1 OOS, secondary received. Email says that secondaries are due one month after receiving them, but I'm assuming standard "2-week rule" applies? Also, does anyone know what percentage of applicants are sent a secondary?
Thank you for always bringing reality back to premedical students. I appreciate you alleviating the neuroticsm of the applications lolIf they give you a month, that is their deadline and they won’t expect to see it in 2 weeks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Didn't you notice this when you were Pre-writing/researching secondaries?I don't know if I have the energy to write an entire other personal statement for the first question 😢 are y'all just combining other essays together or genuinely starting from scratch?
I generally advise applicants that you should have enough material to write at least 3 different PS because you never know which schools ask you for a new autobiography/PS or you have to reapply. Obviously I did know about UCSD. 😉
Write Your Secondary Essays First | Student Doctor Network | SDN
Secondary essays are a critical part of your application that ensure your picking the right schools and prepare you for the interview process.
www.studentdoctor.net
I wrote an autobiography for the first ~3500 characters, and then copy pasted a secondary i did for drexel talking about clinical experiences to make up the remaining 2500 characters. it sounds like a lot when you head in but it ended up being one of the easier ones i did tbh. It depends on how much you have to talk about life challenges before collegeI don't know if I have the energy to write an entire other personal statement for the first question 😢 are y'all just combining other essays together or genuinely starting from scratch?
Caroline Decker
Full Member
"We would also like to know if a letter of recommendation has been submitted on your behalf by somebody you worked with through this experience. If you do not have a letter from this experience, simply type N/A. This information allows Admissions Committee members reviewing your application to more readily match your letters to your experiences and thus facilitates the review of your application."
I am confused, so some of the most meaningful that I put on AMCAS that it already has listed for me have letter writers but I can't figure out how to put that into those entries that already listed. Do I make an entry for those and put the letter author, or do I just leave it without an author as it is right now?
I am confused, so some of the most meaningful that I put on AMCAS that it already has listed for me have letter writers but I can't figure out how to put that into those entries that already listed. Do I make an entry for those and put the letter author, or do I just leave it without an author as it is right now?
I would like to know this too. None of this makes any sense to me. There is not enough space for anything!"We would also like to know if a letter of recommendation has been submitted on your behalf by somebody you worked with through this experience. If you do not have a letter from this experience, simply type N/A. This information allows Admissions Committee members reviewing your application to more readily match your letters to your experiences and thus facilitates the review of your application."
I am confused, so some of the most meaningful that I put on AMCAS that it already has listed for me have letter writers but I can't figure out how to put that into those entries that already listed. Do I make an entry for those and put the letter author, or do I just leave it without an author as it is right now?
does anyone know what the MCAT blind consists of for UCSD? I wanted to forward my app to UCSD as soon as it is verified but it has my old low af MCAT score. My new one will not be in until late august. Some people tell me to send my app to UCSD because they are mcat blind but I do not want to risk being screened out because of my low mcat.
pandastory
Full Member
for the disparity question, are you guys using all 4.8k chars?
brazzimamma
Full Member
Yep I didfor the disparity question, are you guys using all 4.8k chars?
rockdrummer2809
Full Member
Same - Apparently people have been getting a confirmation email that UCSD received their primary app from AMCAS, but I haven't heard anything back yet, verified 07/18verified 07/20 and no IS secondary yet, anyone else?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I included it in the 6000 character essay for mine so I think thats the best place. Its a bit hard to fit it in when the ranges are so large (0-5, 6-17, etc.)Hey guys, my mom went through bouts of employment and unemployment in my life. How should I put this down in the secondary application when asking about employment history?
I did something similar, do you think saying "employed and unemployed" would work in those categories?I included it in the 6000 character essay for mine so I think thats the best place. Its a bit hard to fit it in when the ranges are so large (0-5, 6-17, etc.)
What are people talking about for these? Does it have to be the community we grew up in? Our current community? A community we lived in at one point?Yep I did
brazzimamma
Full Member
I talked about the communities I identified with-- Latinx and the one I grew up in, then mentioned experiences I saw my parents and husband go through etc.What are people talking about for these? Does it have to be the community we grew up in? Our current community? A community we lived in at one point?
Would it be valid in that case to talk about health disparities in the UK? I lived in Scotland for four years and they have a lot of issues with access to care and other social issues atmI talked about the communities I identified with-- Latinx and the one I grew up in, then mentioned experiences I saw my parents and husband go through etc.
brazzimamma
Full Member
I would only talk about it if you can can talk about seeing someone close to you struggle with the effects of that. That's my opinion though, maybe some others can weigh inWould it be valid in that case to talk about health disparities in the UK? I lived in Scotland for four years and they have a lot of issues with access to care and other social issues atm
My flatmate in university had depression and the waiting times were so long to see a psych in Scotland he ended up attempting suicide. I had to pick him up from the hospital myself because his parents couldn’t do itI would only talk about it if you can can talk about seeing someone close to you struggle with the effects of that. That's my opinion though, maybe some others can weigh in
brazzimamma
Full Member
I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I think that’s appropriate for the question if you want to share it.My flatmate in university had depression and the waiting times were so long to see a psych in Scotland he ended up attempting suicide. I had to pick him up from the hospital myself because his parents couldn’t do it
D
deleted1169361
+1 OOS secondary today
Thank you its not something I had thought about in a while tbh. But these questions do make you think I suppose and it was almost like an 'oh yeah that happened' when it was objectively one of the worst experiences everI’m so sorry you had to go through that. I think that’s appropriate for the question if you want to share it.
From what I have read, you need to be accepted into the MD program before you can be considered for PRIMEIf we say that we want to be considered for the PRIME-Heq program, will we still be considered for the regular MD program if we’re rejected from PRIME?
futbolista_94
New Member
same, verified 07/20, MCAT results 07/25verified 07/20 and no IS secondary yet, anyone else?
Anyone verified after or around 7/25 get a secondary?
I got verified 7/21 and got it 7/25
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was verified 7/17 and received a secondary 7/20I got verified 7/21 and got it 7/25
Do you guys know whether the people that make decisions regarding PRIME-HEq and GHAC see our secondary applications? I'm having trouble answering these prompts without repeating information from my autobiographical statement since it's all so interconnected, so I'm trying to figure out whether that is okay or not.
I don’t know, but I expanded on something from my autobiographical statement. I told them my whole life story so there’s nothing I could’ve left out for other questions, but also not enough room to expand. So I used the PRIME-HEq for that.Do you guys know whether the people that make decisions regarding PRIME-HEq and GHAC see our secondary applications? I'm having trouble answering these prompts without repeating information from my autobiographical statement since it's all so interconnected, so I'm trying to figure out whether that is okay or not.
Those of you who received secondaries, did you also receive a confirmation that they had initially received ur app? or just a secondary invite?
applied2toomanyschoolsxd
Full Member
Just a secondary invite.Those of you who received secondaries, did you also receive a confirmation that they had initially received ur app? or just a secondary invite?
ii_manifestation
Full Member
did you decide to list your MMEs for the letter writers?? wondering the same!!"We would also like to know if a letter of recommendation has been submitted on your behalf by somebody you worked with through this experience. If you do not have a letter from this experience, simply type N/A. This information allows Admissions Committee members reviewing your application to more readily match your letters to your experiences and thus facilitates the review of your application."
I am confused, so some of the most meaningful that I put on AMCAS that it already has listed for me have letter writers but I can't figure out how to put that into those entries that already listed. Do I make an entry for those and put the letter author, or do I just leave it without an author as it is right now?
I did. I think it would make your story seem disingenuous if you didn't include it somewhere tbh. Plus, I'm willing to bet that being a reapplicant did affect the way you view medicine and made you truly reflect on why you wanted to be a physician. It overall makes your secondary better imo because it shows adcoms that you are acknowledging your faults and how despite it all, you still are putting yourself through another app cycle to be a doctor. Cheers to you mate, hopefully we both have a fruitful cycle this time around!does it make sense to mention you're a reapplicant in the autobiographical sketch? to give context to like gap year experiences or whatever?
Does anyone know if the month deadline is a hard or soft deadline? If anyone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated
nerdthebird
Full Member
Hard deadlineDoes anyone know if the month deadline is a hard or soft deadline? If anyone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated
On MSAR it says: Recommend submission within one month of your secondary application invitation but this is a soft deadline. Secondary application will remain open for all applicants until January 19, 2024Does anyone know if the month deadline is a hard or soft deadline? If anyone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated
The email said within a month.On MSAR it says: Recommend submission within one month of your secondary application invitation but this is a soft deadline. Secondary application will remain open for all applicants until January 19, 2024
nerdthebird
Full Member
On MSAR it says: Recommend submission within one month of your secondary application invitation but this is a soft deadline. Secondary application will remain open for all applicants until January 19, 2024
I'm not sure I trust that, since MSAR can be inaccurate and the secondary email and application portal both indicate a 1 month deadline or due date with no mention of wiggle room. Either way, I'd say it's better safe than sorry.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for all comments fam 🥰🥰. We submitting this biddy asap
@ whoever is in charge of writing the subject for this email 😡 (/s)
my heart dropped
I am suurreeeeee whoever did this, did it on purpose, they are playing with usView attachment 375845
View attachment 375847
@ whoever is in charge of writing the subject for this email 😡 (/s)
my heart dropped
D
deleted1124957
Me not receiving that emailView attachment 375845
View attachment 375847
@ whoever is in charge of writing the subject for this email 😡 (/s)
my heart dropped
Was wondering the same! Haven't seen an update yet but came to the same conclusion as you, so approaching it that way for now.I've read mixed things online, but from the wording of the question, it seems they're okay with us also including activities listed in our primary that just aren't one of the three MMEs we identified. It's a pretty ambiguously-worded question though, especially since they state "do not list any activity more than once," but I'm 90% sure this is referring to not repeating activities as MMEs.
If anybody else has confirmation one way or another, it'd be much appreciated!