2024-2025 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to vent but how is it that every other med school can give you your decision within a standard time frame except downstate. None of my other schools have kept me waiting for 15+ weeks without some communication or info

drexel is like this too, it’s ridiculous. meanwhile i heard back post II from another school within 10 days so it’s quite literally possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im saying this to offer some hope or positivity at least but I interviewed November twelfth and heard back a month later… I’m not sure why he said April but I think it’s fair to think that you can hear back at any point from now. Their timeline is all over the place so I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Let’s just hope everyone hears back sooner rather than later!

Edit: SDN isn’t letting me post numbers lol
 
Im saying this to offer some hope or positivity at least but I interviewed November twelfth and heard back a month later… I’m not sure why he said April but I think it’s fair to think that you can hear back at any point from now. Their timeline is all over the place so I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Let’s just hope everyone hears back sooner rather than later!

Edit: SDN isn’t letting me post numbers lol
Did you get accepted if you don't mind me asking?
 
Im saying this to offer some hope or positivity at least but I interviewed November twelfth and heard back a month later… I’m not sure why he said April but I think it’s fair to think that you can hear back at any point from now. Their timeline is all over the place so I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Let’s just hope everyone hears back sooner rather than later!

Edit: SDN isn’t letting me post numbers lol
Did you send any LOI prior?
 
I feel like it’s fine to ask before. Because the schools operate seperately, if you get accepted to the MPH and not the MD program, you could always opt to do the MPH if you needed to reapply or something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you get accepted if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah I got the A 12/17
Did you send any LOI prior?
I actually did send one even when the admissions guy said to wait until January for some weird reason about timing. I said f it and sent it anyway a couple weeks after my interview. I definitely encourage sending one if you really want to go here. They seem to look favorably upon them and use it to gauge your spot against another candidate with a similar app. (Or at least that was the gist of what was said during my info session anyway)
 
Is it safe to assume if we interviewed early (around early September-ish) and haven’t heard back yet then it’s either a WL or R?
 
Sorry to vent but how is it that every other med school can give you your decision within a standard time frame except downstate. None of my other schools have kept me waiting for 15+ weeks without some communication or info
i interviewed for NSU in october and have yet to hear back 🙃
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok same here haha trying really hard not to get too neurotic. The response I got included
“Should an interview spot become available in the near future, we will reach out to you.”

And trying to decipher if that means an II is forthcoming or they’re just getting my hopes up 🙃