-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
PotatoBean
Full Member
You’d have to estimate based on interview-to-matriculants unless they publish specific numbers or the yield is otherwise knownDoes anyone know what the post-II acceptance rate is?
dutchmanbball
New Member
I’d estimate it to be around 45% for IS applicants. MSAR says they interview around 770 applicants and had 177 matriculate. And from my understanding state schools typically accept about 2x the number that matriculate, however that is including the people that come off WL.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sashacolbystannnnnn
Full Member
Does anybody know if they are done sending IIs?
PotatoBean
Full Member
CycletrackDoes anybody know if they are done sending IIs?
grizzlybear130
Full Member
Are there still a lot of early interviewees waiting on decisions?
Based on the Admit.org info, I think so
How many people are currently in the GroupMe?Can more people get admitted already? I want to see the GroupMe get filled up 😕
TedMosby1207
Full Member
A solid 6 of us 💪How many people are currently in the GroupMe?
momwithanmd
Full Member
Seriously tho^^, I would love to meet my future classmates already!
I’m thinking they’ll send some more out next week. I mean January was quieeeetttt like they have to at this point
I’m thinking they’ll send some more out next week. I mean January was quieeeetttt like they have to at this point
Hi, since it was 2.5 hours long, did you have enough time for the writing assignment? My interview is at 1pm, and I am not sure how the whole interview day isjust had the longest interview with downstate 2.5 hours long,
PotatoBean
Full Member
It's about a paragraph or so. I can't remember the word count, but it's definitely not a full essayHi, since it was 2.5 hours long, did you have enough time for the writing assignment? My interview is at 1pm, and I am not sure how the whole interview day is
Great! Do you know what time they send you the writing assignment? Did you complete it after you interviewed?It's about a paragraph or so. I can't remember the word count, but it's definitely not a full essay
PotatoBean
Full Member
If I remember right it was sent earlier in the morning and it was due by like 2pm or something. It was not any great Herculean effort, tbh. Definitely nothing to stress over, imoGreat! Do you know what time they send you the writing assignment? Did you complete it after you interviewed?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VINILOVER123
Full Member
Hi, since it was [emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]].[emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]] hours long, did you have enough time for the writing assignment? My interview is at [emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]pm, and I am not sure how the whole interview day is
Do it before the interview, I had to rush through it , finished last second. It’s not cómplicated at all though
nakedgangcc
Full Member
OOS II today!
sweetstyle
Full Member
Congrats! What dates are available to you?OOS II today!
nakedgangcc
Full Member
No Feb dates, No march dates, just April
skydweller
Full Member
Whats the latest april date available?No Feb dates, No march dates, just April
What date were you complete?No Feb dates, No march dates, just April
nakedgangcc
Full Member
Ahh, I can’t remember the dates but maybe mid April?Whats the latest april date available?
Early august!What date were you complete?
DuelShadow
Full Member
45% sounds really high. I'm skeptical of that number. If cycletrack is somewhat accurate, post-II A for all applicants is ~25%.I’d estimate it to be around 45% for IS applicants. MSAR says they interview around 770 applicants and had 177 matriculate. And from my understanding state schools typically accept about 2x the number that matriculate, however that is including the people that come off WL.
DuelShadow
Full Member
Can anyone gauge the relationship between time spent in an interview and probability of A? I've been hearing people interviewing for >1hr for the faculty interview and its kind of putting me on edge considering that I spent only 35 minutes doing the interview and 15 minutes asking questions and adding final thoughts. Also, what can I expect from the peer-to-peer? Should I expect the same questions to be asked as was asked during the traditional? I've heard that its a different exercise completely where the student determines the fit of the student for the culture of the school, which is fine. Just wondering if they'll ask any of the same traditional interview questions or anything specific to my AMCAS application that I should review or prepare for.
dutchmanbball
New Member
Cycletrack is most definitely not accurate cause people have to fill in their data and a lot don’t. Also this is for IS applicants only. Considering that 177 matriculated and 772 were interviewed that’s about 23%. They have to accept close to double that of people who actually attend. And I know that at least at Buffalo and upstate they accept about 2x. So even if downstate accepts 1.75x that puts post II IS at around 40%45% sounds really high. I'm skeptical of that number. If cycletrack is somewhat accurate, post-II A for all applicants is ~25%.
flyqueen
Full Member
Can anyone talk on the interview? Regarding the type of questions and what to expect overall? Have mine Tuesday and don’t know what to expect. It’s my #[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]] choice [emoji30]
futureMD2321
Full Member
mine was super straightforward. The sdn page of interview feedback pretty much covered them very well. Also just asked about how my activities align with downstate and more about the things I’d done. Very conversationalCan anyone talk on the interview? Regarding the type of questions and what to expect overall? Have mine Tuesday and don’t know what to expect. It’s my #[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]] choice [emoji30]
Punz18
Full Member
The interviewer is given questions to ask from the AdCom, but it's very conversational. Can come down to the faculty interviewing you though. I believe the faculty interview is open file. The student interview a week later is also very conversational, and definitely close fileCan anyone talk on the interview? Regarding the type of questions and what to expect overall? Have mine Tuesday and don’t know what to expect. It’s my #[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]] choice [emoji30]
MDloadingplease
New Member
+1, interviews in late Oct, radio silence.Are there still a lot of early interviewees waiting on decisions?
PotatoBean
Full Member
There's no way it's that low (nor is Cycletrack a dependable source for extrapolation)45% sounds really high. I'm skeptical of that number. If cycletrack is somewhat accurate, post-II A for all applicants is ~25%.
MSAR data shows about 20% post-interview matriculation (it's closer to 23% for IS applicants alone). If you assume a pretty typical yield percentage, and arguably you could assume a slightly lower one for Downstate, you're looking at 45-50% post-interview acceptance rate
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sashacolbystannnnnn
Full Member
would it be inappropriate to call and ask how late they intend to send out IIs? I dont want to sound desperate, this timeline for schools is so all over the place
KnightTalking
Full Member
Way back when in a October/November info session they said they interview till April/till the class is full which most likely means they would stop sending IIs sometime in March. Of course, I don't know if they still intend on sticking to this timeline, so I am of the mind that it doesn't hurt to ask.
PotatoBean
Full Member
Would just check Cycletrack or previous year's threads, tbh. You can always ask, but they may or may not give a serviceable answer and I'm sure they don't love us hogging the phone line likewould it be inappropriate to call and ask how late they intend to send out IIs? I dont want to sound desperate, this timeline for schools is so all over the place
skydweller
Full Member
They interview until April, someone who got an invite recently this week on the thread said only April slots are open now so I guess they starting to fill that month out nowwould it be inappropriate to call and ask how late they intend to send out IIs? I dont want to sound desperate, this timeline for schools is so all over the place
DuelShadow
Full Member
If its close file, what questions do they typically ask?The interviewer is given questions to ask from the AdCom, but it's very conversational. Can come down to the faculty interviewing you though. I believe the faculty interview is open file. The student interview a week later is also very conversational, and definitely close file
Punz18
Full Member
The student interview, I honestly don't recall much, but it was very much a "tell me about yourself" and the AdCom does tell them to also touch on certain topics related to your app.If its close file, what questions do they typically ask?
sashacolbystannnnnn
Full Member
I ended up calling and the person I spoke with was really nice. She couldn’t give me a date of when they stop sending invites but did assure me that they typically interview throughout April and accept people up until orientation. Looking at past SDN threads, I’ve seen a couple IIs going out in March but I bet it differs year to year and is probably dependent on whether applicants end up cancelling their late cycle interviews.
I wonder if A's are just really underreported here? Or has no one really heard back since 1/09?
applecrisps
Full Member
Most likely. In the info session they said they will release acceptances once/month. I am just waiting for the big batch of acceptances they said they will release the beginning of this month.I wonder if A's are just really underreported here? Or has no one really heard back since 1/09?
PotatoBean
Full Member
Seems a lot more likely that they just haven't released another wave than that somehow everyone is just magically not reporting A's
showcasepumpkin
Full Member
Could we expect decisions this week?
I mean it does seem that there are only 6 members in the group me and im sure they sent out more than 6 acceptances. But yea I doubt it would go unreported both here and on cycletrack.Seems a lot more likely that they just haven't released another wave than that somehow everyone is just magically not reporting A's
PotatoBean
Full Member
No, it's purely a tourJust got the med school tour email. Do you guys think going on the tour will affect chances of admission? I'm out of state and going to NY would be so expensive. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
o_OfroggyO_o
Full Member
i got II back in january and have it scheduled 2/26. if i want to withdraw my interview, is it too late to do so? do i just email them to cancel? hopefully it can go to one of y’all
PotatoBean
Full Member
There's a 'withdraw' option in the portali got II back in january and have it scheduled 2/26. if i want to withdraw my interview, is it too late to do so? do i just email them to cancel? hopefully it can go to one of y’all
chevydubz
New Member
I'm not sure but they do sign you in during the tour.Just got the med school tour email. Do you guys think going on the tour will affect chances of admission? I'm out of state and going to NY would be so expensive. Thanks!
flyqueen
Full Member
My faculty interview was about twenty five mins long, I feel like I wasn’t ask a lot of questions compared to people who had an hour or even more interview. so sad that interviewer could just be uninterested & how that determine if you’re accepted or not
did anyone else have this experience ? I thought it was scheduled for an hour.
futureMD2321
Full Member
I think they’re scheduled for 45 min. I don’t really think length of the interview is necessarily a great indicator of how they felt about youdid anyone else have this experience ? I thought it was scheduled for an hour.