A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I stayed at Day's Inn and it's 5 mins away from campus-ish. It was good and the breakfast was good (I went there cause it was the cheapest).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure the Holiday Inn Express had free internet, which was pretty important for me to review my application and stuff the night before. Not sure if Day's Inn has that as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the letter we have to do the background check and all that stuff...can we do it without a portal login or do we have to wait?

In the letter we have to do the background check and all that stuff...can we do it without a portal login or do we have to wait?
I did my background check before I got my KCOM login and all that.

On another note, does anyone know how long it takes after you send in your deposit + background check + signed form to receive the login?

Same here I've already done it all - still waiting for portal login. I think after Dec. 14 deposits are due it would make sense for them to send the portal logins to everyone that paid for it. So maybe after Dec. 14th?

That makes sense. I can't wait for the login - it'll make it feel that much more official!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know about how many interview days are left?

Could anyone clarify if you receive an e-mail from ATSU once they've received your admission agreement form, please? Or could we call and verify that it was received?

As for hotels, I stayed at the Comfort Inn. Good price, internet, and breakfast.

I actually just sent that exact question to the admissions person whose card was included in the acceptance pack via email and they responded that they had received my agreement and gave me the date that they got it.
Could anyone clarify if you receive an e-mail from ATSU once they've received your admission agreement form, please? Or could we call and verify that it was received?

That's ATSU SOMA out of Mesa, AZ.

KCOM follows the standard 2 years in the books then 2 years at a core rotation site.

Interesting. Both ATSU. Different curriculum. Different modes of instruction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deposit down, letter sent back. It feels good :) can't wait to meet yall in july

Reactions: 1 users
I withdrew my acceptance today. Best of luck to you all!

Just got the acceptance call a bit ago!!! Super excited, but still have to compare ATSU with other schools in the running. What were deciding factors for y'all?

...What were deciding factors for y'all?

Congrats on your acceptance. There were a number of reasons why I decided on KCOM. First, I am from a very rural area and cannot stand spending more than a visit in a large city. Kirksville, while bigger than what I am used to, is a very comfortable size for me. I think their curriculum will work well for me as they still seem to operate largely within the lecture/lab sort of structure that I like. I also am quite interested in their incorporation of ultrasound into the curriculum. There isn't a set dress code for lecture and attendance at regular lecture does not seem mandatory (while I intend to go most times, it is nice to have the luxury to miss a lecture without being penalized). I liked the overall setup of the campus and facilities. Additionally, I am a non-traditional student. I am 32, and have a previous 10 year career as a paramedic. I thought that of the schools that I interviewed at and was accepted to, ATSU was by far the most non-traditional friendly. There were many fellow interviewees and student ambassadors who were also non-traditional. There is also something to be said about it being the first DO school. While many of the new schools are very good, I do place value on the established nature of ATSU.

Overall, I got a great vibe from the school, like the way the curriculum is structured, and think that the city of Kirksville is a good fit for someone like myself who is not a big city person.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted today! Interviewed on 11/14

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today!!! Interviewed 11/14

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!! Interviewed on the 14th as well - morning.

Reactions: 5 users
Have to chose between KCUMB and KCOM, so... hard haha
I had to choose between the two as well. Definitely a tough decision! (I'll message you back when I get a chance)

And cools the room pretty well?
Wow, don't think I ever answered this.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. I run a fan from my bedroom through the kitchen/living room if it's not cool enough in there.

Just got to Kirksville for my interview tomorrow morning! If anyone else is here too, let me know if you want to meet up for dinner or something!

Hello everyone. I just received my interview for KCOM this morning! I sent a later DO application in because I am also applying to MD schools, and this is the second interview invitation I've received (the other being LECOM). A couple quick questions for you all who have already interviewed or are current students.

- My GPA is a 3.36, but my MCAT was a 36 (10VR/12PS/14BS). Do you know if KCOM places more stock into either of these credentials?
- I live in Maryland, so this is a bit of a trek for me. Any recommendations on hotels/staying with current students? Do you think it is viable to fly up on the previous day, stay the night, and leave the night of the interview?
- Any tips on what you noticed during your interviews? I am so excited for the opportunity to present myself in person rather than trying to delineate who I am through essays!
- Weather: is it pretty harsh out there? What should I expect in terms of snow, etc.?

Thank you for your answers. Take care, everyone.

Hello everyone. I just received my interview for KCOM this morning! I sent a later DO application in because I am also applying to MD schools, and this is the second interview invitation I've received (the other being LECOM). A couple quick questions for you all who have already interviewed or are current students.

- My GPA is a 3.36, but my MCAT was a 36 (10VR/12PS/14BS). Do you know if KCOM places more stock into either of these credentials?
- I live in Maryland, so this is a bit of a trek for me. Any recommendations on hotels/staying with current students? Do you think it is viable to fly up on the previous day, stay the night, and leave the night of the interview?
- Any tips on what you noticed during your interviews? I am so excited for the opportunity to present myself in person rather than trying to delineate who I am through essays!
- Weather: is it pretty harsh out there? What should I expect in terms of snow, etc.?

Thank you for your answers. Take care, everyone.

Current first year here--

I was accepted last year as a lower GPA/higher MCAT applicant, so you definitely have a chance. I'd guess that they probably value both numbers pretty equally, along with the rest of your app. I think they interviewed around 500 for our class of 172, so you've got something like a 50/50 chance if you get an interview.

I stayed with a current student and would definitely recommend it, but I think there's also a discussion on hotels in the posts before yours if you want a comparison.

There is a regional airport, so if you fly to St. Louis you can get a flight into kirksville. Interviews end before the last flight leaves for the day, I think.

If they've kept the interview day the same, you'll have 3 interviews: one with a professor, one with a doctor, and one with admissions. At least one will be a traditional/conversational interview, one may be more medical-related (I had a scenario. Others had another traditional interview) and the third could consist of mainly non-medical questions (e.g. "Tell me about time when you showed good leadership skills"). I'm sure they change it up, but I would say to know your app well but be prepared for other types of questions, too.

Good luck!

I flew in from NY state, it was most efficient for me to fly into Des Moines and rent a car to drive down. My flight arrived fairly late in the evening so I spent the night in Des Moines, drove to Kirksville the following day, spent the night in Kirksville, went to the interview, then drove back to Des Moines and spent the night and had an early flight back home the next morning.

I have been told that housing goes fast in Kirksville. Is that just the smaller apartments or the bigger houses also? I have a family, so I am going to need a 3/4 bedroom and can't move until May/June. Will I still be able to find something or should I start looking at nice bridges to live under?

It couldn't hurt to start calling some of the major realty/rental companies there and see if they know what they will have available. I do not know how fast places fill up, but I know that, at least on the apartment end, some places are currently signing leases starting around that time. I did a lease already for an apartment near campus.

And bear with me, but when I read you comment about bridges to live under, I couldn't help but picture this classic;):

chris-farley1.jpg

It couldn't hurt to start calling some of the major realty/rental companies there and see if they know what they will have available. I do not know how fast places fill up, but I know that, at least on the apartment end, some places are currently signing leases starting around that time. I did a lease already for an apartment near campus.

And bear with me, but when I read you comment about bridges to live under, I couldn't help but picture this classic;):

chris-farley1.jpg
Where?? And how much is lease? Furnished? Lol

I have been told that housing goes fast in Kirksville. Is that just the smaller apartments or the bigger houses also? I have a family, so I am going to need a 3/4 bedroom and can't move until May/June. Will I still be able to find something or should I start looking at nice bridges to live under?
You'll be fine. Wait until January and there will be quite a few listings on the school's page.

Where?? And how much is lease? Furnished? Lol

It is managed by Heritage House Rentals. Its not furnished but sizable and only a couple of years old. The rent is $700 a month, which is a little higher than I would have normally gone, but I was saved the expense of having to travel all the way back to Kirksville to look at apartments (which realistically would have cost me about $1000). Evidently, this building is only rented to ATSU students. The rental staff was good to deal with. They sent me copious pictures and put me in contact with a couple of current second year students who currently live there for their opinions. It was definitely an easy process. I know I am early in the game with this, but it is one less logistical thing in this whole 1200 mile move process that I have to worry about it, so it was worth it for me.

Last edited:
Man 3-4 bedroom bridges... Where can I find that...

Man 3-4 bedroom bridges... Where can I find that...

You can't just find one...you have to convert a regular studio bridge into a 3-4 bedroom bridge with refrigerator boxes.

Anybody know what rent will be on a 3-4 bedroom house?

Last edited:
That makes a lot of sense. Sometimes I see people's bridges with the full sewer grate package and it helps remind me that after the long medical school haul we'll have the big pay off.

How long has it taken for you guys to hear back from them? I finished my secondary 11/13. I know thats pretty late, just had a baby so that through a loop into the mix. Thanks for the heads up.

How long has it taken for you guys to hear back from them? I finished my secondary 11/13. I know thats pretty late, just had a baby so that through a loop into the mix. Thanks for the heads up.
Some of my stats. What do you think my chances are.

GPA 3.71
sGPA 3.5 ( After this semester should stay around the same. Took Physio, Human Structure, Neuroscience and other classes)
MCAT 24 ( 8/8/8)

EC
Served a two you volunteer mission for my church
Worked as an EMT in an emergency department full time since last August.
Done research and our research was published. (Organic Chem)
Started a Pre med club and ran a blood drive at my school.
Random volunteering with my church.
Volunteered at Cancer society
Over thirty hours shadowing.
Some other random things.

Let me know, I know I have some weak points , MCAT, but was working full time and summer school and a new baby. Was a crazy time. Thanks for the heads head.

I am by no means an expert, but I would hazard a guess that with the school's mean MCAT being about a 27, it may be a tad bit late in the cycle for a 24. However, you have not gotten a rejection yet, so you are still in play and there is always hope.

GPA 3.71
sGPA 3.5 ( After this semester should stay around the same. Took Physio, Human Structure, Neuroscience and other classes)
MCAT 24 ( 8/8/8)

EC

Let me know, I know I have some weak points , MCAT, but was working full time and summer school and a new baby. Was a crazy time. Thanks for the heads head.

anybody have an idea if I stand a chance?
3.7/balanced 30, but JUST got that 30 released from 11/7 test date. previous attempt was a measly 24
ECs are good, no red flags
wondering if it's basically too late or not since it's kind of like I just applied since I have that new MCAT

I cannot wait to meet you all next year! KCOM class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOO EXCITED!

Reactions: 6 users
3.7/balanced 30, but JUST got that 30 released from 11/7 test date. previous attempt was a measly 24
wondering if it's basically too late or not since it's kind of like I just applied since I have that new MCAT
You definitely have a chance as I am sure you already know! You have great numbers! Never give up! You got this!

GPA 3.71
MCAT 24 ( 8/8/8)

EC

I think you should go for it and see where the chips fall! You seem well rounded! Never give up! You will be a doctor one day!

Submitted acceptance packet! Kcom class of 2019!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats man. I'm sure you'll be top priority of anyone coming late to the game with those numbers.