BCM vs. Case Western (UP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatchamacallit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a question for everyone out there, and I'd appreciate the help. I was accepted to both Baylor and Case's University Program, and have trouble deciding between the two. I really liked the facilities at BCM, but it seems like the biomedical engineering opportunities at Case are hard to turn down. I'm definitely interested in doing research, and maybe an MS (though far far far from certain), and believe I would like to become a surgeon eventually. Neither will be driving distance from friends/family/gf. As for residency, I am also interested in ending up on the West Coast.

The financial situation for both is: no aid. That makes Case a bit more expensive. I'm very fortunate to have family members who voiced their intentions to pay for a significant portion of my medical education, but I have zero interest in wasting their money. Baylor may become cheaper, but I'm not exactly clear as to the steps to establishing residency (would I have to buy a condo?).

Baylor pros: fast curriculum, TMC, large metropolitan area, research track and scholarly project, students seemed very nice (although I'm not Texas born/raised/educated), cost, seems flexible, crazy average Step 1s (239).
Baylor cons: early-morning classes, Houston weather, heavy Texan-bias may be difficult to deal with as an outsider, ranked P/F system, possible financial trouble. How's the advising?

Case pros: only med school in Cleveland, with great hospitals (Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, community, and VA), WR2 curriculum, research orientation/ability to do MD/MS in Applied Anatomy or Biomedical Engineering, kickass BME, intramurals.
Case cons: crappier facilities, cost, Cleveland weather (how long is the winter, aka not-running-outside weather?).

What does the community say? I've only been to each city once, for my respective interviews, so don't have a great feel for the lay of the land. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I've got a question for everyone out there, and I'd appreciate the help. I was accepted to both Baylor and Case's University Program, and have trouble deciding between the two. I really liked the facilities at BCM, but it seems like the biomedical engineering opportunities at Case are hard to turn down. I'm definitely interested in doing research, and maybe an MS (though far far far from certain), and believe I would like to become a surgeon eventually. Neither will be driving distance from friends/family/gf. As for residency, I am also interested in ending up on the West Coast.

The financial situation for both is: no aid. That makes Case a bit more expensive. I'm very fortunate to have family members who voiced their intentions to pay for a significant portion of my medical education, but I have zero interest in wasting their money. Baylor may become cheaper, but I'm not exactly clear as to the steps to establishing residency (would I have to buy a condo?).

Baylor pros: fast curriculum, TMC, large metropolitan area, research track and scholarly project, students seemed very nice (although I'm not Texas born/raised/educated), cost, seems flexible, crazy average Step 1s (239).
Baylor cons: early-morning classes, Houston weather, heavy Texan-bias may be difficult to deal with as an outsider, ranked P/F system, possible financial trouble. How's the advising?

Case pros: only med school in Cleveland, with great hospitals (Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, community, and VA), WR2 curriculum, research orientation/ability to do MD/MS in Applied Anatomy or Biomedical Engineering, kickass BME, intramurals.
Case cons: crappier facilities, cost, Cleveland weather (how long is the winter, aka not-running-outside weather?).

What does the community say? I've only been to each city once, for my respective interviews, so don't have a great feel for the lay of the land. Thanks all!
Shouldn't you have made a decision already? You better do it quick!

I don't know much about Case, but BCM would probably be my choice between the two. Here are some notes about your pro/con list regarding Baylor:

Early morning classes: They might start early, but you get a half day pretty much everyday so I would say that extra hour (8am vs what 9am at other schools?) is a pretty nice trade off for a free afternoon. I might be wrong but I think 2nd year is afternoon classes.

Texas weather: Yeah its hot in the summer, but its definitely not cold in the winter and I would pick a hot summer over a Cleveland winter any day. Everything is super air-conditioned anyway.

I would not say the financial problems at BCM are "possible" they are very real and you should be aware of that in making your decision. Whether or not they will affect your education, however, is up in the air. Will they affect it in a big way? Probably not.

The TMC is unbeatable, especially Texas Childrens. Really, I don't think you can go wrong, but you better pick soon or you might find yourself without a spot at all.

Case is 8-12am with no class on Thursdays after block one for the first two years, if we're making arguments about the openness of one's schedule!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go with BCM in this circumstance. It's cheaper and the curriculum is nice, giving you 6 months to start your clinicals, get extra study time, etc. Also TMC has pretty amazing clinical opportunities. If you're looking to do surgery, Baylor's programs are among the highest regarded in many surgical specialties.

Between those two, I would definitely go to Baylor :thumbup:. I thought Case and Cleveland were just depressing, but it's just my opinion.

Between those two, I would definitely go to Baylor :thumbup:. I thought Case and Cleveland were just depressing, but it's just my opinion.

and again with the Case hatin'. don't you have better things do to, laddie? you hardly post here and now you're coming out of the wood-work in 3 different threads to complain about Case.

Status
Not open for further replies.