Campbell vs. Touro Middletown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

wahizzle1

I've gotten accepted to both Campbell and Touro Middletown. I really liked Campbell because of it's friendly atmosphere, committed faculty, and state-of-the-art facilities. The administration is really helpful and the students seem fairly happy. The only concerns are that it's in the middle of nowhere and falls short in diversity of the students. Being a minority student, I'm also concerned about racism in the surrounding areas and don't really seem to fit in with the student body which is mostly older than I am. Middletown, on the other hand, seems to have a bad reputation and it's students don't seem to be happy. The positives are the minority students which are mostly younger, helping me feel more like I fit in. The biggest thing that attracts me to Middletown is that my boyfriend will be attending medical school in Manhattan, and it would be much easier to see him once in a while if I went to Touro Middletown instead of Campbell in North Carolina. Middletown is also closer to home for me, so my family could visit every now and then. I'm really torn between the two and would really appreciate some help!

Members don't see this ad.

Harlem student here. Middletown is just fine. Having your family and boyfriend near by is a big deal. I'd pick Middletown.

There are really 2 good reasons to pick Campbell: reputation and tuition. Picking one osteopathic school over another based on reputation is plain stupid (MD is another story). COA will be about $20k/year higher at Middletown. Also, The difference in reputation between the schools is pretty negligible... except for some people on SDN.

Medical school life can be very lonely, even if you have great friends. This is obviously an important factor to you, as it was to me.

I think Middletown is a better choice for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Campbell 4th year here, Ill throw in my two cents too.
I think family and a SO are important to consider as well, not sure how "serious" your relationship is but I think it is worth considering that there will be enough strain on your relationships once starting medical school so distance is something to consider. Support is important, so I say that openly. However, the school, community and university/program culture and the kinds of students each institution attracts also contributes to how good your support will be, so I'm glad you felt that from Campbell, it was a big draw for me.
All that to say, I have never personally or heard from any minority classmates refer to unease about the school or the surrounding community. The university is primarily caucasian and african american but of course the school and medical school represent the whole spectrum from hispanic to native american.

I know next to nothing about Touro but I'd consider primarily comfort level at the places (your gut feeling), family and relationship support and then maybe cost at a very distant third.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten accepted to both Campbell and Touro Middletown. I really liked Campbell because of it's friendly atmosphere, committed faculty, and state-of-the-art facilities. The administration is really helpful and the students seem fairly happy. The only concerns are that it's in the middle of nowhere and falls short in diversity of the students. Being a minority student, I'm also concerned about racism in the surrounding areas and don't really seem to fit in with the student body which is mostly older than I am. Middletown, on the other hand, seems to have a bad reputation and it's students don't seem to be happy. The positives are the minority students which are mostly younger, helping me feel more like I fit in. The biggest thing that attracts me to Middletown is that my boyfriend will be attending medical school in Manhattan, and it would be much easier to see him once in a while if I went to Touro Middletown instead of Campbell in North Carolina. Middletown is also closer to home for me, so my family could visit every now and then. I'm really torn between the two and would really appreciate some help!
The geography plays a large factor, I would rather be in a suburban environment rather than the middle of nowhere. I interviewed at Middletown as well, and the students seemed thrilled to have us, despite it being exam week. The bad reputation you hear about probably has to do with last year's fiasco at Harlem, which was fixed. I felt very comfortable with the student population at Touro. One of the interviewees in my group also did Campbell, but didnt like it there either. Of course, everyone has different opinions, but make a list of pros and cons and go from there.

Let's see, Middletown is in the Catskills, so Cheese blintzes and knishes vs barbeque??

Let's see, Middletown is in the Catskills, so Cheese blintzes and knishes vs barbeque??

My mental image of Goro is a lecturer at some mystery western osteopathic school who goes home at night and dreams of quitting his job to become a food tourist, wistfully watching food shows and thinking "someday..."

Reactions: 1 users
All things being equal I'd pick Campbell hands down. But it sounds like you'd really be more comfortable closer to your boyfriend and family which are legit reasons.

... Just when I thought I had you figured out...

I think Goro's saying all this to throw us off the scent. I bet he's really a lecturer at an EAST coast osteopathic school and is more of a disciple of Gordon Ramsey.

Reactions: 1 users
I've done long distance before and Middletown isn't all that much closer to home than Campbell is. Ultimately, I want to choose the school that's going to give me a better education and help me achieve my goals. Just looking at both schools' faculty and teaching, which would you say is better?

Being a minority student, I'm also concerned about racism in the surrounding areas and don't really seem to fit in with the student body which is mostly older than I am.

Hi! Congrats on being accepted! I'm most likely going to be attending CUSOM and I'm a young minority student.... so that's at least one person! Hope to see you there :)