Choose Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

majik1213

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to temple, and let me say after spending a week in our brand new medical school, WOW. If you did get into temple, and are wondering which to choose, choose temple. You will NOT regret your decision. Our new medical school is absurd; the anatomy labs have swivel computers at every station. The lecture halls are gigantic; and the layout is just .. overwhelming. Choose Temple :O)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can choose any school in Philadelphia and get the "same" great education.

But do you have swivel computers? I think not.

Although, I can't honestly imagine ever wanting to use the computers in anatomy lab. The books we have are covered in fat and preservatives. I also kind of like having the dissector guide on one stand and the netter's on the other along with a TA for every two tables or so. We also have prosections in the back that we get to look at and a little computer lab, but I've never set foot in the computer lab. Supposedly it is for radiology.

But do you have swivel computers? I think not.

Although, I can't honestly imagine ever wanting to use the computers in anatomy lab. The books we have are covered in fat and preservatives.

Yeah this is true. Most of the pages of our atlas were stuck together from the dried goo :scared:

I noticed though that every anatomy lab I've been through has a bunch of TVs in it, (including my school), but we never used them once. Did anyone's gross lab actually use the TVs?

that building is mad nice... probably the nicest thing around those parts. i hit up that bulletproof taco bell like all the time tho.

i think the most surprising thing about the old building is the biochem labs. physio floors were mad ****ty, but biochem floor was blingin'

I go to temple, and let me say after spending a week in our brand new medical school, WOW. If you did get into temple, and are wondering which to choose, choose temple. You will NOT regret your decision. Our new medical school is absurd; the anatomy labs have swivel computers at every station. The lecture halls are gigantic; and the layout is just .. overwhelming. Choose Temple :O)
Im using this in my why temple essay!!!!!:smuggrin:

:D-woohoo one of the schools I'm interested in:laugh:

Man this school is expensive. And what's up with not being able to switch to in-state tuition after one year?!

Wow nevermind, I just scrolled through the tuition rates of all med schools and $40k is like the avg :wow:. I hope I get into my state-school

Members don't see this ad :)
Man this school is expensive. And what's up with not being able to switch to in-state tuition after one year?!

Most state schools do not allow you to establish residency by going to school. Time in school is thought to be a transitory period so you are not a state resident. Some state schools are an exception to this but on the whole that's how it works.

Most state schools do not allow you to establish residency by going to school. Time in school is thought to be a transitory period so you are not a state resident. Some state schools are an exception to this but on the whole that's how it works.

You can beat that in some states based on spouses or purchasing property.

This is big news.. I completely thought that OOS tuition was only for one year. That really stinks.

If you're an adcom from temple university, you really sweeped me in with those swivel computers! I'll totally be applying there!
And do your dorms offer free shampoo? Cause hell, I'll even write a good review on hotelreviews.com!!!!

That's great you're having a good experience, but I'm not sure what basis you have to compare it to other medical schools given that it's the only one you've attended. :)

It's all relative. All relative to Colorado.

Ooo swivel... *puts Temple on list*

If you're an adcom from temple university, you really sweeped me in with those swivel computers! I'll totally be applying there!
And do your dorms offer free shampoo? Cause hell, I'll even write a good review on hotelreviews.com!!!!

It'd take more than shampoo to get folks to live on campus. :laugh:

It'd take more than shampoo to get folks to live on campus. :laugh:
What about a free body spray-painted 6-pack?
I don't need the spray-painted one, but I'm wondering if I'd look for one after entering med school. Lol, I wonder how long my abs and my toned biceps will last in med school.
I'll give it 9 months, 12 months max, haha.

I was looking for apartments today and I drove by the building again. It's true, choose Temple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, i think we'll all take into account, state of residence, costs, and relative chances of entry :) not so much whether the facilities are glossy and new - although state of the art tech helps, getting into med school is challenge enough for the most part....

i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet-- temple is a private school, so it doesn't matter if you're IS/OOS. "switching to IS tuition" is irrelevant here.

i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet-- temple is a private school, so it doesn't matter if you're IS/OOS. "switching to IS tuition" is irrelevant here.

Incorrect. Temple like Penn State, Pitt, and Lincoln University are state-related and as such have different tuition for IS/OOS. For medical school it is a drop in the bucket only 9,000 a year difference. But that is still 36,000 at the end of school.

http://www.temple.edu/cashops/about/tuitionrates.htm

Dude, you help get me into Temple and I'll be there.

which states do this?

UMDNJ - RWJ for one. Actually for that school; you just have to sign a 1 yr lease somewhere and they'll let you pay instate tuition. They won't consider you instate for the application PROCESS though.

Or some such. The UMDNJ schools (both of them) are lenient when granting instate tuition status.

Do you have to dig up your own cadavers from the local cemetery or are you assigned one for anatomy lab (someone else does the digging and procuring)? :) I know that the really prestigious medical school don't force you to dig up our own cadavers for dissection. So if Temple provides you with a cadaver, then it's definitely a fancy nice medical school :thumbup:

i've always heard about people commenting on the safety of the area. is this just a fallacy?

Do you have to dig up your own cadavers from the local cemetery or are you assigned one for anatomy lab

Neither, in that area of Philadelphia fresh cadavers are popping up all over the place. :diebanana:

I have been to Philthadelphia more times then I can count.

A word to my fellow applicants, don't let the swivel TVs distract you from the vacant lots and crack houses that are conveniently located every few blocks.

I actually don't mind the city and have many good friends there, but it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither, in that area of Philadelphia fresh cadavers are popping up all over the place. :diebanana:
Sweet...I was thinking I'll probably need at least 6 of em to get me though anatomy. Whoops...do ever.

My father went to Temple, and even though it was back in the 70s, I'm sure the same still applies: it's a private school, yes, but receives some state funding; therefore, there is a small break in tuition for in-state students (as well as a small preference for PA residents for acceptance purposes).

Hey,

I'm only a sophomore in college now, so I'm not entirely sure if I should be here,
but I am thinking of going to Temple Med school, and so I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers in how to get accepted there.
Theoretically, I will have a 3.65-ish science GPA and a 3.75-ish overall GPA by the time I apply,
but I was thinking of doing that dual-degree program they have and that's what I really want to get into.
When I went on the website, they said that for dual-degree, you should have a "significantly higher" scores than for "just" the med school.
When I looked up Temple in the MSAR, its ovll and science GPA were both 3.7. So I'm thinking my stats won't be good enough to get into the program?
anyone please can help me????????
Thanks!

Yeah I can help. Chill out. Just do the best you can and save the stress for the application cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.