Cornell vs Northwestern vs USC vs UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in a bit of a fortunate yet difficult situation. I have been lucky enough to get into 4 amazing schools and can't make up my mind. I was hoping for input from people who are students /plan to matriculate to these schools, and hoping for some good suggestions on why they chose their schools

My situation is as follows: I am a Cali resident and grew up in LA most of my life. My family is in Los Angeles, although we used to live in San Diego a while back so we have some friends there.
I am also looking to eventually practice in southern California, most likely Los Angeles, and thinking of competitive surgical specialties such as neurosurgery and doing research/teaching in my career.
Here are my Pros and Cons for each school, hopefully people will elucidate new info to add to this list:

USC
Pros:
-great clinical experiences + County hospital
-same city as family/friends
-interesting new engineering program for medical students
-my undergrad alma mater, so lots of familiarity with people
-SoCal weather
-great study resources / geared toward boards curriculum
-New gym
Cons:
-cost to some extent (although I will probably live at home to save $ if I go here for pre-clinical years)
-relative lack of prestige/reputation
-bad location in city

Northwestern:
Pros:
-awesome location in the heart of Chicago (loved the city)
-great hospitals
-amazing reputation nationwide
-PBL seems cool
-amazing research
Cons:
-PRICE-75k/yr…high interest loans
-Lectures are only audio recorded
-Chicago is cold…
-far from family

Cornell:
Pros:
-awesome location
-amazing reputation nationwide + Ivy connections
-some of the nation's best hospitals
-cool music for medicine program at Julliard School of Music (I'm a pianist so :D)
-Curriculum identical to NW's so also cool
-possible Ipads
-Great subsidized living and nice student gym
-Great vibe here
-amazing research
Cons:
-PRICE…no financial aid at all…75k/yr…same as NW
-Cold
-Far from family

UCSD:
Pros:
-good reputation
-cheapest option
-subsidized grad housing is $405/month!!!
-AMAZING LOCATION/weather
-new education building
-amazing research
-relatively close to family/friends
Cons:
- new curriculum that med students described as disorganized…hopefully will be ironed out by next year but who knows…

I am still waiting to hear back from UCLA, which would simplify my situation istantly, and hoping that maybe USC might give me a scholarship, which would also make the choice much easier, but as things stand now, it's hard to choose. All useful input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

As one who is interested in academic medicine/research, going to UCSD seems a no-brainer. It is the best medical school that you got into (by ranking) and it is far-and-away the cheapest deal. Plus, SD >>>>>Chi or NYC. I may be biased because I was in a similar predicament to you, and I am going to UCSD this fall over some other great schools.

Hi everyone, I'm in a bit of a fortunate yet difficult situation. I have been lucky enough to get into 4 amazing schools and can't make up my mind. I was hoping for input from people who are students /plan to matriculate to these schools, and hoping for some good suggestions on why they chose their schools

My situation is as follows: I am a Cali resident and grew up in LA most of my life. My family is in Los Angeles, although we used to live in San Diego a while back so we have some friends there.
I am also looking to eventually practice in southern California, most likely Los Angeles, and thinking of competitive surgical specialties such as neurosurgery and doing research/teaching in my career.

Here are my Pros and Cons for each school, hopefully people will elucidate new info to add to this list:

USC
Pros:
-great clinical experiences + County hospital
-same city as family/friends
-interesting new engineering program for medical students
-my undergrad alma mater, so lots of familiarity with people
-SoCal weather
-great study resources / geared toward boards curriculum
-New gym
Cons:
-cost to some extent (although I will probably live at home to save $ if I go here for pre-clinical years)
-relative lack of prestige/reputation
-bad location in city

Northwestern:
Pros:
-awesome location in the heart of Chicago (loved the city)
-great hospitals
-amazing reputation nationwide
-PBL seems cool
-amazing research
Cons:
-PRICE-75k/yr…high interest loans
-Lectures are only audio recorded
-Chicago is cold…
-far from family

Cornell:
Pros:
-awesome location
-amazing reputation nationwide + Ivy connections
-some of the nation’s best hospitals
-cool music for medicine program at Julliard School of Music (I’m a pianist so :D)
-Curriculum identical to NW’s so also cool
-possible Ipads
-Great subsidized living and nice student gym
-Great vibe here
-amazing research
Cons:
-PRICE…no financial aid at all…75k/yr…same as NW
-Cold
-Far from family

UCSD:
Pros:
-good reputation
-cheapest option
-subsidized grad housing is $405/month!!!
-AMAZING LOCATION/weather
-new education building
-amazing research
-relatively close to family/friends
Cons:
- new curriculum that med students described as disorganized…hopefully will be ironed out by next year but who knows…

I am still waiting to hear back from UCLA, which would simplify my situation istantly, and hoping that maybe USC might give me a scholarship, which would also make the choice much easier, but as things stand now, it’s hard to choose. All useful input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Your choice is really between USC and UCSD. If UCSD is substantially cheaper, go there. If equal costs (I guess if you live at home), go to USC.
It would be silly for to go outside of CA. Don't forget the cost of travel and TIME lost for travel. Do you really want to spend 1-2 days of your thanksgiving break stuck in an airport/plane?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your choice is really between USC and UCSD. If UCSD is substantially cheaper, go there. If equal costs (I guess if you live at home), go to USC.
It would be silly for to go outside of CA. Don't forget the cost of travel and TIME lost for travel. Do you really want to spend 1-2 days of your thanksgiving break stuck in an airport/plane?

I am leaning toward your suggestions, but the thoughts of the extra prestige and more recognized names of NW/Cornell since I'm interested in academia + competitive surgical specialties+ their respective hospitals (esp. Cornell), are holding me slightly back.

Does anyone know of how good the clinical training is at SD compared to the other schools, since it doesn't have any major hospital powerhouse like LA County/NY Presb attached to it like the other schools do?

Thanks again!

I am leaning toward your suggestions, but the thoughts of the extra prestige and more recognized names of NW/Cornell since I'm interested in academia + competitive surgical specialties+ their respective hospitals (esp. Cornell), are holding me slightly back.

Does anyone know of how good the clinical training is at SD compared to the other schools, since it doesn't have any major hospital powerhouse like LA County/NY Presb attached to it like the other schools do?

Thanks again!

I think you need to do more research about ucsd medical center. The hillcrest campus is huge, with major trauma and burn centers. They also serve lots of uninsured and homeless people, in addition to the complete other end of the spectrum. You should have amazing opportunities there.

In addition, the research at UCSD is at least as good as the other schools you mentioned. It attracts some of the best researchers from all over the world. There are several biotech companies affiliated with ucsd, Tsri, Salk institute, moores cancer center, and a huge HIV research center that is world renowned.

Add to that the cost, weather, and new facilities.... It is a no brainer IMO.

USNWR ranked UCSD hospital system #1 in San Diego and Thomson Reuters ranks UCSD health systems as being in the top 15 teaching hospitals in the country. Also some of the best residency program rankings to boot and the region's only cardiovascular center to be opened soon

USNWR ranked UCSD hospital system #1 in San Diego and Thomson Reuters ranks UCSD health systems as being in the top 15 teaching hospitals in the country. Also some of the best residency program rankings to boot and the region's only cardiovascular center to be opened soon
I work for Scripps (another hospital system in SD), and we are building a cardiovascular center here too... so it won't be the only one. Scripps anounced theirs first (construction is already under way), so they were a little ticked that UCSD decided to build one too.

Do you want to stay in Cali after medical school? Or itching to get out. You list being far away from home as a negative, so I get the sense you want to stay in Cali.

Also. If you're only reason for not attending UCSD is a "disorganized" curriculum. Don't sweat. Reality of it is...every medical school has a slightly disorganized curriculum. I.e. you need to do a lot of the work on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.