2021-2022 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is very odd to me that there is no consensus on when to send a letter of intent; I see half do it post-II and half do it post-decision (assuming WL). I was thinking about waiting until after decision (assuming WL), but now I'm unsure if this is the best option. When does Cornell prefer a LOI?

Members don't see this ad.

It is very odd to me that there is no consensus on when to send a letter of intent; I see half do it post-II and half do it post-decision (assuming WL). I was thinking about waiting until after decision (assuming WL). When does Cornell prefer a LOI?
My strat has been sending one pre decision and another one post - WL. That way they know I like them before, and they know I still simp after.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we should have our recommenders send updated LORs to their main email or through AMCAS? Thanks!

It is very odd to me that there is no consensus on when to send a letter of intent; I see half do it post-II and half do it post-decision (assuming WL). I was thinking about waiting until after decision (assuming WL), but now I'm unsure if this is the best option. When does Cornell prefer a LOI?
Just remember that on here LOI could mean letter of intent or letter of interest -and those are very different things.

I personally think for a letter of intent, when to send it depends on the likelihood of a rejection. If the school only really sends WLs and no post-II Rs than it’s probably better to send it earlier because once you’re waitlisted and so are the other 500 people they interviewed — the school will likely get a surplus of letters of intent and they will mean less/hold less power. If they do send rejections, better to send pre-decision if you think you’re a weaker candidate and post-WL decision if you’re a stronger candidate. If you’re a weaker candidate, you may be more likely to get rejected outright and not be put on a waitlist. If you’re a stronger candidate, sending a letter of intent too early can hurt your chances at merit scholarships. If the school has had no waitlist movement in past years, better to send now because a waitlist basically means a rejection. Also depends on when the school begins reviewing your app post-interview and making an admissions decision (I know Hopkins reviews them almost a month before decisions are sent out so anything sent in the month leading to their decision announcement may not even be viewed or weighed in their admissions decision, don’t know about Cornell though). Some people decide to send letters of intent post-II before the decision AND post-WL. If schools talk a lot, sending one before a decision could even lead to a rejection from a different school (albeit I think this is rare).

There’s a lot at play here and there’s a lot of factors I’m not even weighing as well, just my opinion. I’m personally sending updates/letters of interest pre-decision (including a line saying you’re my top school for only my top school) and I possibly will send a WL-letter of intent for my top school if it comes to it in March. I don’t know if that’s the right strategy, but money is a factor in my decision which is why I don’t want to commit myself to a school too early.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just remember that on here LOI could mean letter of intent or letter of interest -and those are very different things.

I personally think for a letter of intent, when to send it depends on the likelihood of a rejection. If the school only really sends WLs and no post-II Rs than it’s probably better to send it earlier because once you’re waitlisted and so are the other 500 people they interviewed — the school will likely get a surplus of letters of intent and they will mean less/hold less power. If they do send rejections, better to send pre-decision if you think you’re a weaker candidate and post-WL decision if you’re a stronger candidate. If you’re a weaker candidate, you may be more likely to get rejected outright and not be put on a waitlist. If you’re a stronger candidate, sending a letter of intent too early can hurt your chances at merit scholarships. If the school has had no waitlist movement in past years, better to send now because a waitlist basically means a rejection. Also depends on when the school begins reviewing your app post-interview and making an admissions decision (I know Hopkins reviews them almost a month before decisions are sent out so anything sent in the month leading to their decision may not even be viewed or weighed in their original decision, don’t know about Cornell though).

There’s a lot of other factors I’m not weighing as well, just my opinion.
Does Cornell even care about LOIs (intent or interest?)

Does Cornell even care about LOIs (intent or interest?)
Lots of mixed consensus here. Overall though, if it’s nicely written then it likely won’t hurt. Worst case scenario if it’s written well is they just don’t read it or factor it in at all…

I know Cornell liked updates/letters of interest pre-II, but I haven’t heard any clear things about their opinions post-II. I can ask the Cornell med grads/associates I work with if you want, but they’ll probably say something similar

Last edited:
Hi, can anyone speak to the feasibility of living outside of the student housing? Would they allow for more loans to be taken to cover off-campus rent? I have a dog that I'm not willing to leave behind
edit: I see that they allow students to apply for more financial aid, up to 2000/month for housing. Are these exemptions hard to get approved?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi, can anyone speak to the feasibility of living outside of the student housing? Would they allow for more loans to be taken to cover off-campus rent? I have a dog that I'm not willing to leave behind
edit: I see that they allow students to apply for more financial aid, up to 2000/month for housing. Are these exemptions hard to get approved?
I would also love to hear some input on this as well! My dog and kitty need to come with, if WCMC works out, so would love some additional first-person insight.

To provide some (cautious and indirect) reassurance, according to someone I know that worked in higher ed fin aid in the NYC area: requests for extending COA for additional living expenses are pretty common and are usually granted. The exception being if you’re requesting to do so for the sake of living on 5th avenue or something else (financially) unnecessary. It’s at the discretion of the fin aid officer that handles your case, who will take your life circumstances into account based on how you describe them. Giving up my animals is not on the table, they are most certainly part of my family, and I would frame my own appeal to extend COA as such, but understand I may have to compromise on location (to an extent).

For some extra insight: my student interviewer mentioned living off campus with their animals and said it’s definitely possible!

I would also love to hear some input on this as well! My dog and kitty need to come with, if WCMC works out, so would love some additional first-person insight.

To provide some (cautious and indirect) reassurance, according to someone I know that worked in higher ed fin aid in the NYC area: requests for extending COA for additional living expenses are pretty common and are usually granted. The exception being if you’re requesting to do so for the sake of living on 5th avenue or something else (financially) unnecessary. It’s at the discretion of the fin aid officer that handles your case, who will take your life circumstances into account based on how you describe them. Giving up my animals is not on the table, they are most certainly part of my family, and I would frame my own appeal to extend COA as such, but understand I may have to compromise on location (to an extent).

For some extra insight: my student interviewer mentioned living off campus with their animals and said it’s definitely possible!
+1 on wanting to hear more. I got a 70lb pit bull 🥴 I know apartment hunting will be a struggle, but I just want to know if it’s even really possible in this area of the city.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
+1 on wanting to hear more. I got a 70lb pit bull 🥴 I know apartment hunting will be a struggle, but I just want to know if it’s even really possible in this area of the city.
NYC native here and have lived on the UES. Studios around the area 60s-70th Streets go for about 1700 minimum and most likely thats a pre-war bldg, and often roach infested. Will prob have to live with roommates for 1200 ish a month. 80s-90s (Yorkville) a bit more affordable. Plenty of pet friendly apts so im not that worried as someone with 2 cats.

Reactions: 1 user
NYC native here and have lived on the UES. Studios around the area 60s-70th Streets go for about 1700 minimum and most likely thats a pre-war bldg, and often roach infested. Will prob have to live with roommates for 1200 ish a month. 80s-90s (Yorkville) a bit more affordable. Plenty of pet friendly apts so im not that worried as someone with 2 cats.
How much would a 2 bed in queens be?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much would a 2 bed in queens be?
Depends on the neighborhood in Queens but the more affordable and reasonable options w commute times of (30-40 mins ish) will be LIC or Astoria. Astoria tends to be cheaper and 2BRs may go around for 2400 upwards. This neighborhood also is along the yellow line N (which allows xfer to Q to get off at 72/2nd)

Edited for clarity

LIC is closer, but I don’t recommend it. It’s kinda unsafe and devoid of culture in my opinion. Astoria is cooler.
Also I believe Jackson Heights is further away but still well connected to the subway. It’s cheap and a more interesting neighborhood.

LIC is closer, but I don’t recommend it. It’s kinda unsafe and devoid of culture in my opinion. Astoria is cooler.
Also I believe Jackson Heights is further away but still well connected to the subway. It’s cheap and a more interesting neighborhood.
I don't think LIC is less safe than Astoria statistically, but lacking in culture is definitely true.

@2021-2022-NonTrad You should also check out Roosevelt Island, which is one of the safest and nicest/most family-oriented neighborhoods in NYC and only one stop away from Manhattan/Cornell

Everyone found out about it tho, so it's gotten 'spensiveeeee

Roosevelt is great. You can take a cable car to Manhattan everyday if you want. Amazing views for under 3 bucks.

Roosevelt is great. You can take a cable car to Manhattan everyday if you want. Amazing views for under 3 bucks.
^ They have installed Citibike docks there too so you can easily ride to Cornell as well

I find Roosevelt island too expensive tho lmao

^ They have installed Citibike docks there too so you can easily ride to Cornell as well

Yeeeeeaah….I too will be limited by whatever money they are willing to give me lmao

The wait between now and decision day is giving me wayyyy too much time to look at the rental market, and Roosevelt Island is easy to get obsessed with hahaha.

That feeling when you're so bad they don't even think it's worth sending you the pre-II R

• Care
Speaking of which, when is decision day?
Last year they sent out As around the second week of March, so I'm assuming around then as well! WLs/Rs came a little later i think.

Yikes got the so-called stress interview today. Asked me a lot of hypothetical questions and those about health policy + residency

Stress interview? What's that?
When the interviewer purposefully tries to push your buttons to see how you react under stress. Not from this school, but I had one from another school that questioned my family's decision to immigrate to the US.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
When the interviewer purposefully tries to push your buttons to see how you react under stress. Not from this school, but I had one from another school that questioned my family's decision to immigrate to the US.
My stress interview was from here as well. Basically the entire interview was about my experience with parents mental illness & how I know it won't magically reappear while in school and interfere with education, wild stuff like that

• Care
Crazy. I haven't been fortunate enough to get an interview from here, but my coworker did, and they didn't seem to have any stressful component at all :/

My stress interview was from here as well. Basically the entire interview was about my experience with parents mental illness & how I know it won't magically reappear while in school and interfere with education, wild stuff like that
Surprising for me as well, my interview experience was stress free

My interview experience wasn't a direct stress interview, but very thorough and in-depth/probing. It didn't feel stressful at the time but it definitely would have been if I didn't know my stuff

TBF, my second interviewer was much more relaxed and even told me that he hoped i didnt get grilled / interrogated by my first one. Seems like they’re aware that some faculty do it on purpose but my second interviewer was against it. He specifically said that that style of interviewing just causes unnecessary stress and anxiety and in no way does it help in gauging an applicant’s interviewing skills.

Wow I never had an interviewer reach out to me first post interview. Hopefully it’s a good sign

• Love
It’s crazy how rare common courtesies like this are in medical schools interviews 😫. That’s awesome though hoping it’s a good sign for you
yeah, lol considering how i sent each interviewer i had in the past a thank you email but didnt get a single response 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Care
Based on the phone call I made a while ago this should be the last week they send out interview invites. Last year the last invite was Feb. 23rd I believe. Fingers crossed these invites come in for us all!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
Based on the phone call I made a while ago this should be the last week they send out interview invites. Last year the last invite was Feb. 23rd I believe. Fingers crossed these invites come in for us all!
Edit: Last year, the last batch was sent out the last Tuesday of Feb (Feb. 23rd) at around 3:30PM. Fingers crossed for today. I just want this to be over!!!

• Wow
Cornell just put me out of my misery already. :( I can't take the waiting anymore.

I'm guessing there's no more II right?
I called and they a while ago and they said by the end of this week they'll be done. They in theory could still send more invites. Historically, they have sent out invites later in Feb.

I took one for the team and just called Cornell. They are done sending out interview invites.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
Did Cornell release their schedule yet? Does anyone know what day specifically classes start, or what day I have to be physically present at Cornell, should I get accepted?

ACCEPTED JUST NOW VIA EMAIL!! Interviewed November! Sent a post-II update in the first week of feb!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users