2021-2022 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2021-2022 Weill Cornell Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. (1525 characters)
2. Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it. (1525 characters)
3. If applicable, please tell us about any special circumstances related to COVID-19 that could help us understand you better. (1525 characters)
4. If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2021-2022) academic year, what are your plans? (Optional) (1525)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. (1525 characters)
  • Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it. (1525 characters)
  • If applicable, please tell us about any special circumstances related to COVID-19 that could help us understand you better. (1525 characters)
  • If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2020-2021) academic year, what are your plans? (1525 characters)

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received secondaries yet? My application was verified 6/28 and I a wondering if/when I would receive a secondary...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received secondaries yet? My application was verified 6/28 and I a wondering if/when I would receive a secondary...

No. In 2019 (which is more like this cycle than last year) the first post on SDN of secondary received was 7/9. Also the MSAR says review begins 8/1. That is much later than most schools, so I’m not surprised we haven’t heard from them yet.

Reactions: 3 users
For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. (1525 characters)
  • Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it. (1525 characters)
  • If applicable, please tell us about any special circumstances related to COVID-19 that could help us understand you better. (1525 characters)
  • If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2020-2021) academic year, what are your plans? (1525 characters)
Secondary hasn't changed, still these questions

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else still not get a secondary?

Reactions: 19 users
Cornell, where you at. I'm actually ready for you.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
+2, got the email but confused which link will take me to the secondary? anyone have any ideas?
Got the same email. I am expecting that they send another email soon with the link.

Reactions: 1 user
Any of those who received a secondary applying MSTP?

Anyone get a completion or submission confirmation? Looks like it all checks out, I just love it when they tell me ~you're fine~

anyone OOS not receive the secondary yet either?

Verified 6/21 but still don't have the secondary :////

Last edited:
Anyone get a completion or submission confirmation? Looks like it all checks out, I just love it when they tell me ~you're fine~
If you go to the original secondary page, it says "finished," and they also say that processing takes up to two business days. As long as you submitted your secondary and it says finished, you're fine!

If you go to the original secondary page, it says "finished," and they also say that processing takes up to two business days. As long as you submitted your secondary and it says finished, you're fine!
Caught that later, thanks for the reply!

OOS, just received invite and link to app at 3 PM. (Verified 6/19)

Got the complete email just now! Submitted yesterday

Reactions: 1 users
For the coursework, did you guys type it exactly how it appears in AMCAS? (For instance, all of my course names are in capital letters and may sometimes have abbreviations.)

Are y'all taking the COVID question as purely if it had any negative impact on your application? Since the wording is about "special circumstances" and "helping us get to know you better" I feel like it is a gentle way of being like 'tell us if there is something off about your app specifically because of COVID' but don't know if I am reading it wrong lol

For the coursework, did you guys type it exactly how it appears in AMCAS? (For instance, all of my course names are in capital letters and may sometimes have abbreviations.)
I doubt all caps matters but, yeah, why mess around? Just give it to them as it appears in AMCAS so it is easy for them to cross reference if they want to.

I doubt all caps matters but, yeah, why mess around? Just give it to them as it appears in AMCAS so it is easy for them to cross reference if they want to.
I chose to do that!

If I am going to be a part-time student in the fall and I will graduate in December, should I not complete question 4? I have other plans I want to inform the committee of but it seems they do not want people who will be students this year to fill it out.

For the writing intensive courses, they say that they want at least one of the courses to have been in English literature... I'm took several writing intensive history courses, but none in the English department. Am I just boxed out from being considered, or could I explain my situation?
How did you do in CARS??? :)

"WCMC requires two semesters of writing-intensive courses, one in the humanities or social sciences (e.g., history, philosophy, anthropology), and one focusing on English-language literature. Other writing-intensive courses and courses that meet undergraduate writing requirements may be substituted. AP credits are not accepted for the writing requirement. Please enter the names and course numbers for the classes you plan to use to fulfill this requirement."

You don't need to explain. You just need to list them.

129 on CARS ... 3/4 points I missed came from it lmao. And they say "may be submitted" but they reiterate the english requirement on their website as well, so it makes me wonder if they'd actually accept the substitution. Don't wanna spent the 100 bucks if it's uncertain they'll even consider it, y'know?
Just for reference, I submitted with a writing-intensive course that was not specifically an English literature course. But I have no results to prove whether or not that was the right move yet.

If I am going to be a part-time student in the fall and I will graduate in December, should I not complete question 4? I have other plans I want to inform the committee of but it seems they do not want people who will be students this year to fill it out.
I think you need to answer the question with respect to the time between December and next summer. They are not asking about the two months between UG graduation and med school matriculation for someone who will be in school full time for all of next year, but why do you think they'd be less interested in your 8 months than someone else's 12 months?

Last edited: