Drexel or Rosalind Franklin??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HZ123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to both schools but being from Cali, I don't know much about the schools/areas other than what I saw on my one day interview and from what I've read online.

Most important things for me are research opportunities (im interested in academic medicine), student happiness, match list, and Step 1 preparation/scores.

Any advice/insight is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently accepted to both schools but being from Cali, I don't know much about the schools/areas other than what I saw on my one day interview and from what I've read online.

Most important things for me are research opportunities (im interested in academic medicine), student happiness, match list, and Step 1 preparation/scores.

I would say that both schools are roughly equivalent as far as prestige and ranking goes (I think that affects academic medicine pursuits), however I would personally stick with Drexel based on location. It's in center city (in philly) which is a wonderful place to live (plus the weather is better). The only downside is the class size is a bit big at Drexel, but perhaps someone with more knowledge of the two schools can expand on what I have said.

According to NIH Report, Drexel's med school had 23 million in NIH funding last year while Rosalind Franklin had 7 million

Members don't see this ad :)

In terms of location, I don't know much about Philly, but I can say that the area surrounding RFU is "non-existent"--there isn't a whole lot going on out there, as it is in a suburban area and 40 minutes north of Chicago proper.

In terms of school's reputation, I can't comment, but I feel like Drexel may have a stronger "name", only bc RFU had some nonsensical issues going on a few years ago. RFU has research opportunities, but they're not as strongly pushed as other research oriented schools, so I think you'll have to decide based on your experience and that which others can provide you here.

So I can't really comment on RFU, but Drexel is a good time. It's not actually in Center City, but it's fairly close and there's a free school shuttle downtown almost all day. It's located in East Falls, which doesn't have much goin on, but a few minute car ride gets you to Manayunk or Center City. You should find enough entertainment there. From talking to a lot of 4th years, most everybody seems to match and in one of their top choices -- I haven't heard any horror stories yet. In terms of research, I'm sure you can find something to interest you, whether at Drexel or somewhere else in Philly. There is a good bit of research going on at the campus if you check out the website. Plus there are plenty of universities/hospitals around that have research opportunities.

Someone was talking about class sizes... Drexel winds up feeling a bit smaller (at least to me) because of the curriculum split. There's 60-70 people per class in the problem based learning curriculum but about 200 people in the lecture based curriculum. I think the option to pick the curriculum that fits your learning style is a major benefit.

I may be demented, but I love Philly. I think it's a great place to live, lots to do, lots of interesting people, huge medical community, etc. So there's a lot of hood. Be smart, it's a big city.

I have a few friends at RFU/CMS and they all live by the school and can't wait for years 3/4 to move to Chicago proper. For Drexel, it's really easy if you want to live in center city - there's a train that stops across the street from Drexel's pre-clinical campus.

There's other things, may add to this as I think about it. (Disclosure - starting at Drexel this fall and failed to get out of the RFU small pool of doom.)

Easy, go to Drexel. Sweet Dee from It's Always Sunny delivered her surrogate baby at Hahnemann Hospital. Its OB floors have been christened by The Gang's presence!

Easy, go to Drexel. Sweet Dee from It's Always Sunny delivered her surrogate baby at Hahnemann Hospital. Its OB floors have been christened by The Gang's presence!

+1 :thumbup: Best. reason. ever.

The Tranny and the Miller Light Guy were so happy!

RFU is in a nice safe but quiet suburb for the first two years and then you move into the city for rotations. I dont think one school will be significantly better than the other for a career. Both have "good" match lists. I would choose based on location (I would prefer chicago) and cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.