Georgetown Medical School vs Tufts Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlofty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get input from various people as to how these two schools compare. Please help me out finding differences or similarities between them!
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to get input from various people as to how these two schools compare. Please help me out finding differences or similarities between them!
Thanks!!

Well I am going to say Georgetown... but then again I am biased because I will be attending there next year. They have a lot to offer including great clinical opportunities, research, various other programs and a good match list. Having NIH nearby offers great opportunities for any kind of health related research you are interested in. On the other hand, if you are interested in health policy of government then DC is the best possible place to be.

Obviously Tufts has mos of those things as well. I did not interview at Tufts(rejected) but saw where their med school is located and would definitely rather live in Gtown. Also, I don't know if this even matters but Tufts' reputation seems to be shadowed by the other local med schools (BU and Harvard). Both of them are ranked very similarly (with gtown slightly ahead) so there is no way to judge them based on that.

Which did you like more? What stood out to you about each?

I'm biased as well, as I will most likely be attending Tufts Med this year. These two schools are pretty similar. Both are expesive, both have decent reputations, both in major cities, both will prepare you clinically. Therefore you have to look at more subtle differences such as

Curriculum, facilities, research opportunities, etc. are some of the differentiating factors. Here is my analysis on this (I'll be as objective as possible).

Curriculum- Tufts has a very advance & integrated curriculum. About 1.75 years long (which gives ample time for USMLE studying). It's P/F I believe as they changed it. They have the TUSK system which they pride themselves on a lot as well. Again I know nothing about Georgetown....

Facilities - I think this is where Tufts has a clear advantage. The facilities are pretty much brand new everything. I heard Georgetown was a bit run down (from some people on SDN).

Research- I believe Georgetown is a bit more researchy than Tufts. I think both have similar NIH funding, but GT probably emphasizes it a bit more than Tufts. I felt Tufts was more focused on public/global health and community service. The opportunities are still ample at Tufts but take this for what its worth. GT's location helps as well.

Location- I interviewed at GWU in DC. And I personally liked Boston a lot more than DC. Again this is a personal preference. So it's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.