KCOM vs. Pikeville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slayton

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the pros and cons of going to Kirksville vs. Pikeville. Pikeville is 7,000 dollars cheaper but I heard that there are more opportunaties for placement in your 3rd and 4th years with KCOM. What do you think about the city differences? Is one more comfortable to live in than the other? Should I choose Pikeville because of the cost or does some of the benefits of going to KCOM outweight the extra cost?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the pros and cons of going to Kirksville vs. Pikeville. Pikeville is 7,000 dollars cheaper but I heard that there are more opportunaties for placement in your 3rd and 4th years with KCOM. What do you think about the city differences? Is one more comfortable to live in than the other? Should I choose Pikeville because of the cost or does some of the benefits of going to KCOM outweight the extra cost?

Cost of living is dirt cheap in Kirksville, and we do have a lot of choices for clinicals. Kirksville is a small town and takes a bit of getting used to. That being said, once medical school starts there is more than enough to do here to occupy your free time. KCOM is the founding college of osteopathic medicine, and has 117 years behind it.

I know nothing of Pikeville, so can't comment on that.

Go to the school you think you will be happy at. That should be the deciding factor, period.

7 grand is a drop in the bucket at this point. Dont let that way on your decision. Choose the school that you are most comfortable in and which you most enjoyed visiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
7 * 4 = $28k @ 6.8% * 20 years = $52k

I'll take the $28k or $52k anytime you like...PM me for my mailing address.... :rolleyes:

If my math is right, that is an extra 2% of your monthly salary if you make 125k a year. That is making minimum payments. Most people I know pay way more than the minimum.

Still a drop in the bucket in my opinion.

I don't know too much about KCOM but Tuition at our school was the lowest increase of any medical school last year both MD and DO schools. That being said. PCSOM rotations are as fluid as any other school. We pick up really great sites every year and then drop some each year because people don't want to go there. Our school also attempts to give students choice in where they want to go during rotations. This is something that a good amount of schools don't allow. We do have our majority of sites in KY, WV, TN, and VA. however we have some in far states like MO, AR, and PA. These hospitals are solid hospitals too in the southeast.

Pikeville has produced some great board scores in these last few years with some kick ass residencies to boot. I am a little biased, as it is where I intend to go to school either this coming year or the next, though.